Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

42 minutes ago, francy25 said:

FSX is a video game. Stop taking it so seriously.

Let's not forget that most people use FSX/P3D/XP11 for fun, without checklist, SOP, emergencies, ecc.

Hey!  I play P3D for fun, WITH a checklist, WITH SOPs, WITH emergencies, etc, and I even write my own checklists and modify aircraft to have more depth and be more realistic.

And every time I fire up P3D, I know I'm playing a video game. 😄

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Also, what about the freeware developers? & how their add-ons will be shared? Often, their add-ons are even better than payware.

Tale Milton & team, as just a single example.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

7 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Hey!  I play P3D for fun, WITH a checklist, WITH SOPs, WITH emergencies, etc, and I even write my own checklists and modify aircraft to have more depth and be more realistic.

And every time I fire up P3D, I know I'm playing a video game. 😄

Hook

That's the right approach, I too use checks and everything but some time I just want to try to land a 747 on a carrier.😂

The last thing I want is to come back from a 4-day shift and start pretending to work again at home with a videogame

😂

Gimme the 3d clouds of msfs trailer and the flamingos!

Edited by francy25
  • Like 3

Francesco 

Embraer 195 Type rated

My Specs: MOBO: ROG Z390 Maximus Hero IX CPU: Intel i7-9700K @ 5.0 Ghz GPU: Nvidia  GeForce GTX 3080Ti RAM: GSkill Trident 32Gb Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz

MSFS, DCS World.

1 minute ago, francy25 said:

That's the right approach, I too use checks and everything but some time I just want to try to land a 747 on a carrier.😂

I used to land at Meigs and take off again in an earlier version of the sim.  Learned a lot about short field techniques from that. 🙂

2 minutes ago, francy25 said:

Gimme the 3d clouds of msfs trailer and the flamingos!

Bird strike! 😄 😄

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

26 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Also, what about the freeware developers? & how their add-ons will be shared? Often, their add-ons are even better than payware.

In the FS9/FSX  world maybe.  

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

In the FS9/FSX  world maybe.  

That's the only (Microsoft) world we have, so far.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 minute ago, Wobbie said:

That's the only (Microsoft) world we have, so far.

It's dead tho.  Until it's back.

If, as stated by  MS, the new sim will be open to third party developers (so everybody that can develop/model/etc) maybe there will be something like the Steam Workshop where you can upload and keep updated your creation. Or through AVSIM library as today

Francesco 

Embraer 195 Type rated

My Specs: MOBO: ROG Z390 Maximus Hero IX CPU: Intel i7-9700K @ 5.0 Ghz GPU: Nvidia  GeForce GTX 3080Ti RAM: GSkill Trident 32Gb Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz

MSFS, DCS World.

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

It's dead tho.  Until it's back.

Not by the amount of add-ons being developed daily, proving that the sim engine is still very much alive.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

7 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Do you work to make money?  If so, then I assume you don’t have an issue with me working to make money?  Or is working hard to earn money somehow taboo these days?

I want to provide add-ons (initially airports) for people to enjoy on the platform people enjoy, be it XP, P3D, or MSFS 2020 ... you have a problem with that?  

Cheers, Rob.

You wanting to make money is Ok. What addons do you make? Maybe I have one. 

But all I read from you is attacking and pure negativity towards the new MSFS2020. Scepticism is ok but reading through your post this must be the most evil thing coming to earth on 2020.

With that I have a problem as its not based on facts.

You read the words on the new MSFS2020 Homepage? There will be a SDK so instead of fighting it you may want to adapt in the future?

Nobody knows how this all will end up. Maybe it will be a flop. But right now the future looks bright and if MS delivers and not does some stupid gamebreaking stuff than it is the future and death of P3D no matter how much you seem to not like this forecast.

Edited by DaWu
  • Like 1

Lukas Dalton

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Do not underestimate the impact of the failed Microsoft Flight project..

Many of us remember getting burned twice.. first by Microsoft cancelling FS development after FSX, and secondly by then promising us a bright future with Flight, which then also got cancelled.. Burn me twice.. and what exactly do you expect us to say now.. :unsure:

How did MS burn us with cancelling FSX development? Of course it was a shocker knowing there wont be a FSXI but FSX was a full released product with two patches on top.

Its not like nower days where you get crappy eary access games that actually get abandoned before they even come out of early access.

Maybe MS planned to modernize FSX already back in 2010 but ACES were not capable or willing to switch to a new engine? Maybe MS decided the hardware was not ready for the plans they had in mind?

We dont know why MS abandoned FSX but its not like they betrayed or ripped us off.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lukas Dalton

42 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Not by the amount of add-ons being developed daily, proving that the sim engine is still very much alive.

Exactly! If MS hadn't announced the new sim, people would still have been buzzing about the latest add-ons for FSX, P3D and XP. We'd still be talking about the prospect of getting P3D v5 and XP12. The current crop of sims haven't all suddenly become redundant or unusable, it's just that there's something new on the horizon which will be joining the market (not replacing it). No one will have to give up their favourite sim and I'm sure the market for the older sims will still exist - look at FSX after P3D started. It's still going strong despite all the dire predictions. Some of you are happy with what you've got and that's fine. But if you are, please don't try to think of reasons why the new sim will fail to try to justify your choice. I've never been a study-level airliner fan but don't consider myself to be any less of a flight sim enthusiast for that.

However, my interest in flight simming had stagnated a bit lately (which tends to happen to me every few years) and I've moved over to my other hobby - racing sims. This announcement has certainly got my attention again and may well be just what I need to rekindle my interest in flying.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

34 minutes ago, DaWu said:

But all I read from you is attacking and pure negativity towards the new MSFS2020. Scepticism is ok but reading through your post this must be the most evil thing coming to earth on 2020.

With that I have a problem as its not based on facts.

You read the words on the new MSFS2020 Homepage? There will be a SDK so instead of fighting it you may want to adapt in the future?

Nobody knows how this all will end up. Maybe it will be a flop. But right now the future looks bright and if MS delivers and not does some stupid gamebreaking stuff than it is the future and death of P3D no matter how much you seem to not like this forecast.

It's called being realistic. Nothing more, nothing less. I looked at the main Flight Simulator page and searched for SDK or Software Developer's Kit. Nothing matching those words was found. So Microsoft may be willing to work with 3rd party developers but the devil may well be in the detail. Like a charge for it being available. Maybe, maybe not.

You are correct in that no-one knows how this will end up and experience tells me to be cautious until more facts are known.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Being realistic is as well as maybe but yourself and Rob seem to have already made up your minds and written off MFS 2020; there's caution and then there's complete negativity and resistance to change. Based upon your posts some might reasonably think MS was coming to delete P3D off your hard disk! Perhaps I've only read your negative postings, but I've not seen much balance. I understand you are very happy with your P3Dv4 setup, but a new simulator is not a threat to that, although it may ultimately stem new addon releases for it. No one is forcing you to switch and no one yet truly knows what you'd be switching to anyway, besides you could even run the two side by side, imagine that!

I'm no defender of MS and I was sceptical about Flight and FSW as details about them emerged, indeed I was rather harsh about MFS 2020 on it's initial announcement, but as more details and positive sounds from MS have emerged I have softened my views, although I was always going to give it a fair hearing on release anyway. Many simmers are fed up of the antiquated FSX/P3D platform requiring so much time and money invested in addons just to get it looking and working like something from 6+ years ago, many in this thread are positive because they see a new simulator as potentially breaking that cycle. Orbx TreesHD, BuildingsHD, Global base and Vector, REX4 environmental textures, REX5 Environment Force shaders, REX Worldwide Airports, nav data updates etc etc etc are great products but shouldn't be necessary, they are complicated sticking plasters for core functionality. This is of the key reasons XP11 is picking up so many former FSX/P3D users, because it looks $1000 without having to actually spend $1000! Given your system specs I can see you are fortunate not to have a budget as constrained as the average user.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

@ckyliu, if your comments are related to me it's best if you tag me so I know for sure. You're quite right that I can just keep P3D and not buy into FS2020. But if 3rd party development ceases for P3D my hand may be forced or I just accept I have a sim that will never get new products.

Where have I said I've written it off? I haven't so please don't say things like that because you don't have the evidence. There is so little to know about this new sim most sensible people will be cautious about it. The key questions are:-

1) Can I download and install scenery on my SSD or is it a streaming-only sim?

2) Can I buy it outright or do I have to subscribe?

The answers to those questions will have a significant impact on whether I sign up.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather