Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

3 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Ditto!!!

Until I can get 4K per eye in my VR my rift will sit shelved while I use TIR!

Cant stand the horrible screen door effect and super blury textures!

Interesting. I have the Rift S which in some ways is a step back from the Rift, although newer. I don't get screen door affect at all, but age might have a big impact here. Biggest peeves for me are the limited field of view and the nausea which probably comes from my inner ear not receiving the same motion cues as my as my eyes.

Resolution can always improve but it's better than I expected from the feedback I read before buying.

In terms of the field of view, it reminds me of some of the earlier Level D sims, where the view (which was graphically awful anyway) was cut off before the end of the L2 / R2 windows. However, the "enclosed" cockpit and 6 DOF motion are mind blowing. I'd take that motion over graphics every day of the week, but of course want both.

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, Mucker said:

This sim was made for VR (literally if you think of its HoloLens origins 😊)

Seriously? The sim hasn't even released nor has it passed Alpha and it's made for VR? 

VR is still in its infancy and without a doubt will evolve far beyond where it is presently. However, this sim has yet to be revealed and I hope you are right but that's a pretty bold statement. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

Seriously? The sim hasn't even released nor has it passed Alpha and it's made for VR? 

VR is still in its infancy and without a doubt will evolve far beyond where it is presently. However, this sim has yet to be revealed and I hope you are right but that's a pretty bold statement. 

Its possible you missed his point. I suspect he was alluding to the fact that it all began as a hololens VR demo.

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 6/27/2019 at 2:36 AM, jlund said:

"To me vr is the future and I would expect it to be included."

Didn't they say that as well both times when 3D came out,? And that never caught on. I haven't tried VR with flightsims, but I still believe it will be a niche and not anything the majority of flightsimmers will be using. So for me, No, Vr isn't a must to have in MS2020. 

" if it don't support VR I will not use/buy it."  Would you say the same when you buy a new car, that if it doesn't have rear view camera, you won't buy it? I mean there's so much else to enjoy when flying on regular 2D screens, that a thing like VR support or not, shouldn't hold you back from buying it. 

Lol you haven't tried it but yet you are forming an opinion? If you try it you won't go back to monitor flying. 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:11 AM, odourboy said:

VR is like 3D. 3D was all thd rage for a while, but look at how many film makers and TV set makers have dropped it. VR will go the same way.

I’ve never tried VR, so I frankly can’t speak to what I may or may not be missing, however I never enjoyed the 3D experience.

For me personally, I’m not sure I’d like the feeling of having something strapped to my head and having a viewing screen so close to my eyes. I’d have to put one on and try it before buying for sure.

My other hesitation would be possible long term effect to my vision using one of these devices for possibly 5 hours or more a week depending on how much I may fly. Like other new things that come out, they are so new that we don’t have 10 years or more of scientific medical study to be aware of the long term effects on our eyes/body from using them. I could possibly deal with hearing loss but developing or having long term vision irreversible vision issues would be a no go for me. So for those reasons, I’m one of the few that’s not in a hurry to get or try one of these just yet, maybe in the future.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’ve never tried VR, so I frankly can’t speak to what I may or may not be missing, however I never enjoyed the 3D experience.

For me personally, I’m not sure I’d like the feeling of having something strapped to my head and having a viewing screen so close to my eyes. I’d have to put one on and try it before buying for sure.

My other hesitation would be possible long term effect to my vision using one of these devices for possibly 5 hours or more a week depending on how much I may fly. Like other new things that come out, they are so new that we don’t have 10 years or more of scientific medical study to be aware of the long term effects on our eyes/body from using them. I could possibly deal with hearing loss but developing or having long term vision irreversible vision issues would be a no go for me. So for those reasons, I’m one of the few that’s not in a hurry to get or try one of these just yet, maybe in the future.

1. You need to try it then. Most of the people who don’t like VR have not spent significant amounts of time with it, don’t know how to set it up, are inflexible with the way they use a sim or don’t have good hardware.

2. It doesn’t feel like the screen is close to your eyes. 

3. Unfortunately, try before buy doesn’t really work here. It takes a week or two of regular use to get your “VR legs”. If you’d asked me at the end of week 1 with my first HMD, i’d have told you it was cool but just a novelty - not ready for serious simming. 4 years down the track, i can’t imagine flying with anything else. So - in short - my suggestion to simmers is to buy a cheap HMD (Rift S) and persist for at least a month before deciding VR is not going to work.

4. For the “thing strapped to head” point, a lightweight HMD is not too bad. I forget that i’m wearing it most of the time. A pimax is not what you want here!

5. I’ve flown for at least 40 hours this week with a HMD. The medical question is a valid one. We won’t know the exact answers here for a long time though, and i’m not going to avoid an hmd for the next twenty years any more than i’m going to avoid using a cell phone.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

7 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

My other hesitation would be possible long term effect to my vision using one of these devices for possibly 5 hours or more a week depending on how much I may fly.

I'm sure scientific research will come, but following logical reasoning, it's more likely that those hypothetical 5 hours will be more damaging to your eyes if in front of a monitor (where the eyes have to focus on close distance, which is conducive to myopia) than in a VR headset which is focused to infinity and requires no eyes accomodation. Basically VR lenses work a bit like reading glasses, relieving eyes of their effort.

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Most actual Studies have shown either 0 or minimal effects which apparently quickly wear off after removing the headset. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-16320-6

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I could possibly deal with hearing loss but developing or having long term vision irreversible vision issues would be a no go for me. hose reasons, I’m one of the few that’s not in a hurry to get or try one of these just yet, maybe in the future.

looking into the sun without sunglasses even for a short time is definitely more harmful to your eyes.

Since we dont use anymore Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) TV's there is absolutely no radiation, especialy that close to your eyes.

My two cents here, 

of course, i want VR support 🙂 

I'm using the pimax 5k+ with dcs and Xplane 11. The only weak in vr are the FPS needed and the resolutions for details. And the more you push one, the less it is for the other... 

But, if they can offer a sweet smooth rendering in fps at high resolutions, then, it would be the very best VR experience for a lot of people. 😉 

On 12/1/2019 at 8:56 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

My other hesitation would be possible long term effect to my vision using one of these devices for possibly 5 hours or more a week depending on how much I may fly.

The lenses used in VR headsets focus your eyes at around 6 - 7 feet, i.e. the average distance between a couch and a TV.
If you've been watching TV all your life without long term vision problems, you'll be OK with VR too.

Hearing problems would be no different to using any other headphones. In fact, with many headsets you are using your own headphones.

16 hours ago, nickhod said:

Hearing problems would be no different to using any other headphones. In fact, with many headsets you are using your own headphones.

Nick, the hearing issues I mentioned was not in reference to using VR. What I was saying is that I can deal with hearing issues or loss of hearing however developing eye problems or going blind would be a lot more difficult for me to deal with. Hence the reason I’m very careful of ruining my vision.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

5 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

What I was saying is that I can deal with hearing issues or loss of hearing however developing eye problems or going blind would be a lot more difficult for me to deal with.

Definitely OT but I have to share my experience. That's what I always assumed as well and I couldn't have been more wrong. Seeing is only a very narrow angle, but hearing is 360deg. I've been to two events, dinner in the dark and dialog in the dark, where you are eating in a restaurant, you have to go shopping, cross a busy street, make a boat tour etc. everything in total darkness. It was an increadible experience and I would never have believed before these events that living without being able to see would work for me.