Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

What We Want (Part 1)

20 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The mouse motion hints over knobs in XP are good, yes.

And MS, please enforce a single UI standard for how those mouse inputs work! One of the things that drives me batty about XP (although it's still my preferred sim) is the way those inputs are handled differently by different developers.

One aircraft model will will let me turn the knob with the mouse wheel when hovering the indicator over it. Another one makes me hold the mouse button and drag sideways, or up and down. I know this is due to the sim having a long history and some of these features like mouse wheel are only recently supported. But it's still frustrating to have to remember which UI convention each individual aircraft model uses.

Impose one well-designed UI convention for operating rotary knobs and similar controls, and don't let developers get too "creative" with alternatives.

I agree, if this was standardized it would be good. If at least one could tell from the displayed mouse pointer how to use a knob/button/switch, even that would be some improvement. Switches are also affected what you wrote about knobs, some use left mouse button, some both, some allow the mouse wheel too ...

Siggy Schwarz

A citation II jet or similar type of jet with authentic analog type gauges  (no more learjets pls). Don't add only glass and synthetic panel jets into the sim. thank you!

• Upvote 2

Core framework

Improvements on the following but more ground work for 3rd parties to develop on, remembering that the platform is just that, a code base that devs can plug into and make their own cool stuff, i.e Orbx with object Flow as one example.

In my opinion (and this is just that) there needs to be more "systems" in the sim to control every aspect of flight, i.e weather system, AI traffic system, Technical systems for aircraft (mechanical), Communication system, Navigation system i.e dynamic updating of Nav aid systems which again comes down to the core code that enables a plugin or api to make this available.to 3rd parties like Navigraph but have an internally accessable module for that within the sim.

Granular control of weather aspects that currently are limitations of the engine (REX or HIFI could chime in here as i'm sure they have exhausted the capabilities of the weather engine in current versions) more dynamic weather in terms of more intelligent weather behaviour and show the affects rather than just simulate the processes. i.e storms, tornadoes, ice build up.

- AI Traffic system, better ground handling.

- Granular aspects of flight dynamics and aircraft engine dynamics such as a new wear and tear system.

- Failure systems, based on weather events and component damage.

- A visual Airport system to select starting point i.e ramp or gate or runway. Xplane visually does this really well. 

- Control of uncontrolled aerodrome runway lighting, in my country New Zealand, we have the ability to tune a frequency and depress the push to talk button 3 times to activate the runway lighting at night, yep it's a real thing.

- Visual flight planning and router finder based on Navaids in the real world. 

- Better audio system, perhaps using spacial audio.

- MISSIONS - more things to do for different flight types i,e water plane and monsoon chopper missions for simulated wildfires. Harsh weather and terrain challenges (these are old but worthy), rescue missions. This being said, it's the fidelity of the missions with interactive scenery and behaviours.

- Improved ground collision handling.

- Improved and more granular graphical settings including Virtual Reality settings. maybe even have graphic setting profiles based on hardware as well as exportable and importable settings.

- Sloped runways 

- Improved Asset library for 3rd party content.

- A bonus feature, selective ray tracing options (or even partial tracing for immersion)

...oh and Multiplayer cockpit sharing especially in VR, wouldn't that be cool.

Edited by kelvinr
  • Like 3

On 8/6/2019 at 10:11 AM, F737NG said:

Good point!

If we get even half of the both the visual and functional improvements suggested in this thread, I'd be amazed.
Doesn't stop me hoping we get nearly all of them though!

The point of the thread, which we know MS are paying attention too, is to provide a list of sim features we would like to see. Microsoft clearly can't provide all of them, so the most likely scenario is that they will attempt to implement the "most commonly requested" features, if technically feasible. The less requested features are likely to be ignored. In which case it's a good idea to state your preferences, even if someone else has already suggested that feature. The more its asked for, the more likely we are to get it.

With the above in mind, I'm wondering if voting in a poll might be useful to MS. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

MS is already in the endphase of development. Testing will start soon what means that if something like good ATC is not included yet we will not see it. There is no time left so all the suggestions here are a nice read but nothing that will change the game at all. This thread should have been starteted 3 years ago but MS decided to not announce anything before 2 months ago

Lukas Dalton

9 minutes ago, DaWu said:

MS is already in the endphase of development. Testing will start soon what means that if something like good ATC is not included yet we will not see it. There is no time left so all the suggestions here are a nice read but nothing that will change the game at all. This thread should have been starteted 3 years ago but MS decided to not announce anything before 2 months ago

I have to disagree with you: First you don't know how long it takes to make a very descent ATC with today's technology and AI. Second, nobody says it will get all the features listed here on day one but they can be added one by one in the future.

But I deeply think @martin-w is right. Not because a feature is already listed, you don't have to write it again yourself. Everyone should write absolutely all they want, this is a one-time chance for all of us.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

With the above in mind, I'm wondering if voting in a poll might be useful to M

If anyone has the time or inclination to create a poll  for this without losing the will to live, I would suggest doing that.  I'm losing the will to live by having to read 18 pages. There are enough options noted now to cover just about everything.

Edited by ErichB

I suspect this will be a big talking point at UK Flight Sim show at Cosford in October the first show since the announcement.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

If anyone has the time or inclination to create a poll  for this without losing the will to live, I would suggest doing that.

Please, no!!! Who would decide what went into the list? What if something I (or someone else) really wants isn't on the list? Microsoft may think that if it isn't on the list, no one wants it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

56 minutes ago, rjfry said:

I suspect this will be a big talking point at UK Flight Sim show at Cosford in October the first show since the announcement.

Microsoft attended a show in Blackpool back in 2006 if my memory serves me correctly. Their presentation of FSX was very popular. I wonder if they will turn up at Cosford. What a coup that would be for Just Flight.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

38 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Please, no!!! Who would decide what went into the list? What if something I (or someone else) really wants isn't on the list? Microsoft may think that if it isn't on the list, no one wants it.

Separately.  People can still contribute here.  It's not an exact science, it's just a poll. High level context

Edited by ErichB

51 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Separately.  People can still contribute here.  It's not an exact science, it's just a poll. High level context

But even separately, individual "wants" vary so much the list would be endless! There are many things which have been mentioned here that I wouldn't necessarily want and several which have hardly been hinted at that I would. You'd have to start off with a poll to decide what to put into the poll!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Microsoft has even planned surveys in their insider program. There is no point in doing a survey here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flamingpie said:

It might be a bit too much to aks (hardware wise) but I would LOVE to get rid of those ugly cockpit reflections which are baked into the windows. Looks odd, awfull (speciialy when using TrackIR or VR) and they are immersion killing. I would LOVE to see real reflections! Don't know about XP but even Aerofly FS 2, which is praised for its great graphics, has those ugly static reflections. Yikes. Hopefully MSFS will give us the real deal!

It's not too much to ask. Those baked-in cockpit reflections are gone in XP11 with the more up-to-date aircraft models in favor of real reflections. Or at least "plausible" dynamic reflections, because real ones would be ray-traced and we aren't there yet, at least in XP. And it doesn't harm the frame rate on my setup (specs below). If that sim can do it, then we should expect it from the new MSFS.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor