Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

What We Want (Part 1)

I have been using MSFS since MSFS98 and have had every version since then. I then moved to P3D and eventually settled for X-plane for the past 4 years. I wanted realistic ground textures, autogen, and weather system. It seems like the new MSFS will have that. So happy about it! Just one more thing missing. 

• Realistic AI Traffic & ATC
    • We have had programs that provide good AI Traffic but they don't work well with ATC
    • We also have good ATC programs that don't work with AI Traffic or even if they do, they are extremely bad at it.

Please Microsoft, make it happen. Having these two things working together and their ability to integrate the player into its traffic pattern will increase immersion immensely! 

• Like 3

Reiterating myself with this:

I also "want" appropriate leveraging of hardware capabilities. I have an 8-core CPU (soon to be updated to the latest gen), a slightly better than average GPU, running 3 monitors and a fibre broadband connection.

If it's possible, I'd like to be able to run MFS at least at medium eye candy settings and get 60 FPS in previously demanding locations. Pretty please, MSFS team?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Hi MSFS Devs,

I am excited about the new sim with my new hardware (2070 Super, Rift S etc, T.1600 Joystick/Throttle/Rudder).

I do have one major request to make - Can you design the sim that all third party content has to be installed outside the sim.  I mean all third party content.  Over the years, all the developers for FSX/Prepar3d just got flat out lazy and started to load into the sim.  You can see my posts in all most all the major FSX/Prepar3d developers about me requesting to get the content outside the sim.  For example, when Prepar3d updates and the addons in the root sim directory always cause some mess; or in due time the whole directory gets messed up.

Bad habits from FSX days followed - infact I hardly recall addon developers ever using the Addon Directory inside the FSX root directory.  Devs are slowly starting to move out and use the Prepar3d external addon method (but it is super convoluted system - software made by engineers for engineers).

For example, right now some Major third party FSX/Prepar3d airport maker installs outside the sim but then low and behold effect files are loaded into to FSX/Prepar3d root sim effects directory - I ask what is the point of installing outside when critical files are still loaded inside the root sim directory.

Besides the obvious advantages are that it will be easy to diagnose the scenery/addon problems for once.  Reduces user error.  Just see all the posts in FSX/Prepar3d sections - where is this file, edit what file etc.  If there is scenery problems - I have seen devs blame the sim devs etc and vice versa.  Please force all the third party developers no matter how big/famous they are - all have to install outside the sim.  

Everyone is excited about this new sim.  Making a clear and concise ground rules will help everyone (including you guys).

PS - I love the new video you guys posted - small teaser --- love the autogen and clouds.

Also please make the sim work like magic for VR.  We all know VR is the future!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Agreed. The worst part about P3D is the hacked up installation due to addon developers that refuse to do things properly, even though LM has made it possible to install most things outside the install directory.

Frankly, I want them to take it a step further. I want to be able to install and uninstall addons via one click in a centralized store or application. It doesn't even have to be a store. The game Arma 3 (military tactical shooter), for example, has a mod manager and everything can be uninstalled via it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I posted today in the "What developers want" thread.

Using this approach, scenery libraries (textures, art, objects etc) are uploaded to a central online repository (public server). Finished airports and sceneries can use those resources and be uploaded to a central scenery repository.

Simmers only need to choose what they want in their sim. There is no manual steps to download, install, configure airports and sceneries etc. Makes it simple. All sceneries and airports are streamed in when you fly. 

• Upvote 1

I believe it's already possible with FSX, but would love an easily worked multiplayer shared cockpit with pilot/co-pilot. My dad is cautiously interested in getting into flight simming and has had a few goes on my PC when visiting, but it's not typically something he'd get into on his own at home. He's less keen on full technical flying and more about just taking in the scenery. This would be an awesome way to get him involved by taking turns with the controls, checking out the views, and also generally just sharing an interest and chewing the fat together over headsets from a couple hundred km away.

• Like 2

Random CTDs are my pet peeve. This is the number 1 issue that ruins my simming!

Blurry free textures  above 400 KTS please!

Uncorrectedl texture colors in photorealistic terrain is also a pain to see.

Dynamic lighting and dynamic shadows! Shadows can cast at any light source not just the sun.

Ground friction during take offs and landings. 

A better ATC please!

Optimized performance! I know everyone is saying this.

Thank you Microsoft Team!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snglecoil said:

I'm sure that it has already been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but as an instrument student, a regularly updated airport/navaid/procedure database has taken on a new level of importance for me. And as the number of ground based navaids are being decommissioned at an accelerating rate, I would also love to see a robust GPS solution out of the box. G1000, GTN, GNS...whatever. I can't tell you how valuable a learning tool the sim has been in my instrument training so far.

This is my biggest request too.  I'm a rw ATCer and pilot, and I enjoy using flightsim as a tool/aid.  XP11 already does this.  Updateable navdata is high on my list of things to have in a new sim!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

One more addition to my helicopter "What We Want" post above:

• Model the aerodynamics of individual blades in the rotor head. Don't model it as an "airfoil disk" to make it easier. I believe this is how X-Plane is doing it now, and probably DCS also.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Freeware developers able to create both 3D and 2D panels without needed to model a whole aircraft for it and make them portable between freeware aircraft's.

This will foster freeware panel creation again  for aircrafts that are not mainstream (like back in the days of fs9) instead of waiting forever on commercial developers. Since panels have been integrated with the aircraft models freeware panel creation went to 0.

• Like 3

Be able to model in Blender, please! 

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Advanced issues found

7 hours ago, dexton said:

I would love to see an interactive and easy to use scenario/mission editor such as Lockheed Martin's SimDirector. The editor in FSX was painful.

I agree with this, and I'd like to expand on it.

Sometimes I just keep flying the same routes over and over again because I don't know what other places would be nice to fly to / land on / depart from.

With that in mind, it would be awesome to have a "community" tab where users can submit flights/routes they like, with suggested airplanes, so other users can experience them too. Something like a community-driven "scenario" system, even something like a mission creator.  I think it could bring a lot of variety to our flights. 

The scenarios could be anything from a serious airline flight to a small bush route to deliver supplies to a little town. The scenario selection menu should have a few creator-submitted screenshots to help us decide "hey, this looks nice, I'll fly that one". 

• Like 1

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

Hi Microsoft team

Very pleased to know that you guys are monitoring this thread. Your community engagement has been spot on.

I’m a real world A320 Pilot. I used MSFS as a kid growing up and I occasionally use P3D to this day to refresh on the nastier and more obscure failures and failure management before heading into the sim every six months. 

On that note, I’m not going to wax lyrical about wanting study level aircraft because that would be something far exceeding your development remit. Instead I’ve been considering annoyances/content gaps in FSX/P3D in terms of the base application, and what things I deal with in day to day real world flying that don’t really pop up too often in game.

1. Weather is a big one. We consider icing every sector. A realistic icing simulation based on OAT/visible moisture/cumuliform or stratiform cloud structures. To that end, performance degradation in aircraft performance with icing picked up/carb icing in carbureted props. It’s not unheard of for the GW indication on the aircraft to bump up 100kg when icing is picked up. Deicing simulation with holdover times/fluid types and ratios.

An accurate windshear simulation, positive and negative, and the resultant effects on the aircraft. Different turbulence effects through stratiform or cumuliform cloud. Mountain waves are a big one. Realistic modelling of phenomena like sea breezes/anabatic-katabatic winds/rotors. If I’m flying a light SEP downwind of a sharp mountain ridge I’m expecting strong downdraughts and moderate turbulence.

Adding onto the Foehn wind stuff above, if your fluid dynamics/weather guys could model the very, very real phenomena of LLWS/turbulence on very short final from wind blowing over airfield structures like hangars/terminals/hotels I would be mega impressed!

Accurate simulation of the wildly different types of wx. I don’t really care about landing in DZ/RA/SHRA. The weather being given as FZRA however has us both paying very special attention….

Modelling the important differences in FG and BR, snow grains, hail, ice pellets, their effects on the environment/vis/the aircraft. HZ and DU. It is very, very unrealistic flying in the Middle East in FSX/P3D. In the real world the visibility is often gash in DU and HZ, the horizon and sky are redder/a dirty sort of grey. Sandstorms and blowing sand. That would make a huge difference in the accuracy of the simulator. Accurate HZ simulation elsewhere dropping the visibility.

2. AIRACs are on a 28 day cycle. Magnetic variation changes constantly, so navaids and runway headings around the world get updated all the time. This is something FSX/P3D are known to be horrendously out of date for. If you guys could provide the functionality for the MSFS2020 database to be easily updated with a nav database product like Navigraph provide, in the same way 3rd party add-on aircraft get updated, that would be FANTASTICALLY useful.

3. Following onto that, the current ATC system is obviously extremely primitive. Basic stuff like not hearing American style phraseology (Altimeter instead of QNH etc) when flying an approach into Mongolia. How about integrating real world procedures like SIDs/STARS/NPA approaches into the ATC system, linked to the nav database update facility mentioned above? If it wouldn’t kill the CPU, smart AI like Cortana integrated and able to reasonably intelligently respond to voice commands? On that note, the pushback system could be redone along the same lines.

4. Performance is a big one -  Dry/wet/standing water/1/4 slush/ ice etc etc as in visible on the runway textures and very, very relevant ramifications on braking action and takeoff performance. How about linking in the ICAO standards/SNOWTAM codes for runway assessments in the ATIS passed by ATC? Very real world realistic and would be very impressive.

5. Developers are now linking in ACARS/ATSU systems into their 3rd party aircraft. How about supporting the ability to datalink METARS for the destination aerodrome so the base aircraft (airliners/G1000) can do it too? D-ATIS. CPDLC is massively common and only getting more popular/expanding every day, backend support for CPDLC terminals in 3rd party aircraft to talk to the ATC system? Since the ATC system is text based anyway I would imagine that would actually be quite straightforward to implement? “Contact London control 128.815” popping up on a little CPDLC screen for you to hit the WILCO/UNABLE buttons rather than clicking on the popup ATC screen.

PDC digital clearance. Relevant to point 4 - ATC/digital METARS having the braking action/SNOWTAM codes included based on the actual runways conditions.

6. Apologies in advance if this is too complex but how about a (reasonably) developed damage system? The FSX/P3D system is binary, either you’re ok or it’s play time over and you have to reset the scenario which I always thought was ridiculous. I note the Flamingos in one of the screenshots you guys released - how about a birdstrike to the leading edge of one of the base light SEPs causing aerodynamic problems, needing aileron input to keep it straight and level? Jammed slats? Windscreen damage. Engine severe damage/fire. Or you’ve landed too flat in a default SEP and the nose gear collapses. Prop shatters, the engine shockloading chucks a piston and starts a fire….

7. SDK/3rd party ecosystem - ease of development and ease of integrating into the simulator. For example, I appreciate you guys would be totally unable to provide an AI traffic service with accurate liveries/models/schedules like that provided by 3rd party add ons so as the sim builders, being sympathetic to the 3rd party content developers and making it a lot easier (and better system performance wise) to incorporate those sort of products into the sim through ground up software architecture and from the get go as a development ethos. SO many different products for FSX/P3D have to be developed and used using special tricks to circumvent the awkward/not fit for purpose SDK/simconnect functionality. PMDG/FSL processes have to run outside of the sim. It ideally shouldn’t have to be that way.

8. From what I’ve seen already I bet you guys are going to nail the environment texture/realism wise. In terms of mesh though - accurate runway slope? I think people would be amazed if they had the view out the front like we do going into certain aerodromes, in the sense that there are a lot of runways out there that are more like sine waves than straight lines! A hump or downslope in a touchdown zone makes a huge difference to the landing technique……

9. Cherry picking the best of what 3rd party developers have come up with for FSX/P3D. For example, A2As accufeel is great. Building that sort of realism into the aerodynamic model from day one.

10. Dynamic environment. Air condensing over the leading edge. Vortexes being sucked into the fan. Wingtip trails. Wake vortices when flying through visible moisture/IMC. Jetblast throwing up water etc on a contaminated runway. Raindrops on the windshield beginning to stream off as speed builds on the takeoff roll. Nice little realistic touches.

I’m signed up to the insider programme with the intention of being happy to help with feedback/beta testing. Looking forward to possibly being able to help out with real world experience and knowledge.

Cheers 

Edited by 3d102
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 6

- Optimisation and Performance

- a tool to customize ans share airports like the very clever XPlane gateway system

- animated copilots in airliners

- customize loading screens with screenshots we take

- geopolitical awerness like war zones, no-fly zones military airspaces with fighters coming to you if we don't comply.

- fire fight mission with water tankers like the Canadair would be awesome!

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2