Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

What We Want (Part 1)

21 hours ago, n4gix said:
21 hours ago, DaveS said:

Also would like the annoying stars visible before the sun is down effect to be fixed

What's broken? I can often see stars before the sun has fully set... :huh:

I get annoyed by stars that appear before dark, I mean, what's the hurry? Wait your turn, stars. 😠

Barry Friedman

3 hours ago, irrics said:

Very true.

Especially if they read too much stuff from add on developers who don’t want to adapt to the coming future. 

I can't help but read this thread title and think of the movie "WHAT WOMEN WANT"

Yes Nooch (the OP) -- you have made me think of that movie every time I see your PINNED thread.  Thanks!  That which has been seen, cannot be unseen! 👹

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

49 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The comment about add-on developers who don't want to adapt is ridiculous, look at the P3D add-on developers that have adapted to XP11 and or visa-versa ... or the XP11 developers that have adapted to AF2, or FSX developers that adapted to P3D V4x 64bit and PBR.

C'mon Rob - at least tag or quote me so people know who you're coming after. 😉

For the record - the comment was mainly a joke.  Sorry if that wasn't more clear.  Trying to inject a bit of fun here.  

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I realize AVSIM can't do much about some of these comments because they don't fall outside of ToS.  But I do question what sort of message "some" (not all) of you really want to send to Microsoft?

So maybe don't even add these two sentences if there's nothing to be done?

Honestly Rob - much of your "cautious optimism" (your words - not mine) has come across as sarcasm, negativity, FUD and arrogance about who can have an opinion or not - and on what specific aspects. 

(you've pulled out the "I'm a developer/programmer" card and tone a couple times.)

All opinions here are equally valid (positive or negative).

Above (quoted text) where you're almost reverse suggesting some moderation of things you personally don't like or think are constructive - is inappropriate.

Cheers, irrics.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

There are many ways to get less costly add-ons:

(snip)

4.  Provide add-on developers easier theft protection

That's a benefit for end-users too!

I don't have a huge number of payware addons for XP11 compared to what some folks are probably running for P3D. But for the ones I do have, I have to juggle account logins and passwords for one developer providing my weather plugin (ActiveSkyX), another account for my Orbx TE scenery, another account for my Carenado and other aircraft models, and another account for my X-Aviation utilities and aircraft models. And probably other things I've forgotten until the next time I load something and it asks for my login and password. 

I support protection for payware developers, it's just a mess when we have to manage all these separate accounts. It would be an improvement if MFS manages to be the "One True Sim" that includes some method to compensate developers fairly for their work, while also simplifying the Wild West of DRM on the user side.

It would be a relief to just use one UI for managing payware for my main flight sim. But -- standard disclaimer -- I'm not going to prioritize that over giving me everything else I want in a flight sim. "One stop shopping" doesn't work, if it doesn't deliver the goods I'm looking for.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I realize AVSIM can't do much about some of these comments because they don't fall outside of ToS.  But I do question what sort of message "some" (not all) of you really want to send to Microsoft?

Cheers, Rob.

You should consider the "message" behind your comments / sarcasm / rants in a "pinned" thread that distract from purpose of the thread.

Hopefully, Microsoft (if they do read this thread) can get some value out of the genuine comments despite the distractions.

• Like 3

I really hope in the near future we're on the Moon again, we're on Microsoft Flight Simulator, and we're going to Mars, .

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

So with that in mind, I would like to see some aspects of the atmosphere enhanced perhaps with the possibility of going orbital. I mentioned the solar system would be nice but perhaps not appropriate at this time.

I hope all the recent speech tech with languages is gong to be in to some extent, if only to expand ATC and Pilot voices.

Improvements to menus and descriptions so that screen readers can determine the objects. Alternatively the simulator provides all the speech and descriptions, no need for screen readers. Extend to reading out values from gauges screens, and settable equipment if desired.

General overhaul of programmable features and interfaces, simple reading into DEMs and Scenery for determining basic features and facilities and some terrain values.

Some enhancements to ATC and AI traffic functions, to extend to programmable or maybe a user function to take over the taxiing of users aircraft for imagined co-pilot, to-and-from runway.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

There are a lot of really great ideas and discussion points in this thread, irrespective of some being too negative and fearful at times.

I get it though..

Change can be hard for people, especially if they're trying to contribute on the creation side of an industry that's unexpectedly changing for the first time in a long while.

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, irrics said:

There are a lot of really great ideas and discussion points in this thread, irrespective of some being too negative and fearful at times.

I get it though..

Change can be hard for people, especially if they're trying to contribute on the creation side of an industry that's unexpectedly changing for the first time in a long while.

I would just ignore him and let the thread flow.

We have a lot of interesting suggestions here as you said and those made me think how much the current sims lack the features everyone needs/wants. 

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

15 minutes ago, irrics said:

This isn't the first time I read this type of a side blow against Rob. Rob has been most (all?) of his working life been in the game industry and he certainly knows what he's writing about. I am confident he'll be able to adapt to changes if this is required.

Perhaps not eyeryone is aware anymore of the countless hours he spent on AVSIM to help people, including his marvellous AVSIM Prepar3d guide and numerous Howtos. I don't see a reason to look down upon him (and others) just because he keeps a more discreet view on the new Microsoft offering.

Sometimes a little repect is a fine touch.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

10 minutes ago, pmb said:

This isn't the first time I read this type of a side blow against Rob. Rob has been most (all?) of his working life been in the game industry and he certainly knows what he's writing about. I am confident he'll be able to adapt to changes if this is required.

Perhaps not eyeryone is aware anymore of the countless hours he spent on AVSIM to help people, including his marvellous AVSIM Prepar3d guide and numerous Howtos. I don't see a reason to look down upon him (and others) just because he keeps a more discreet view on the new Microsoft offering.

Sometimes a little repect is a fine touch.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael - with regard to @Rob_Ainscough I'm simply reacting to the tone and feel of what he's brought to the MSFS discussion.

I'm trying to stay in the context of what's been said here about MSFS and that alone.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, pmb said:

This isn't the first time I read this type of a side blow against Rob.

Side blow?

I was trying to be very factual.

"Change can be hard for people, especially if they're trying to contribute on the creation side of an industry that's unexpectedly changing for the first time in a long while."

What part of what I said above is totally accurate and fair?

Truthfully, I'm sure there very likely is some irritation and frustration on the part of Add-On developers who had literally no clue MSFS 2020 was a thing being worked on and that it's likely to usher in a very new way to do things and may even eliminate some businesses and their models of operation.

It'd be foolish to think this change in reality and the ambiguity around it isn't coloring the tone and character of some comments and the outlook, etc.  

They are human after all.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, irrics said:

There very likely is some irritation and frustration on the part of Add-On developers who had literally no clue MSFS 2020 was a thing being worked on and that it's likely to usher in a very new way to do things and may even eliminate some businesses and their models of operation.

It'd be foolish to think this change in reality and the ambiguity around it isn't coloring the tone and character of some comments and the outlook, etc.  

They are human after all.

This is your conclusion, without any actual facts.

We are exited about new opportunities, just because some of us have more reserved opinions it doesn't mean we are irritated or frustrated with MS, let alone with anybody.

I find also concluding that we are afraid of our business model a bit bold and generic, I have a full time job already and if anything goes south all that will happen really is that I will continue providing help, advice and probably more freewares to willing flying sim users.

Guys, seriously, just because we think different it doesn't mean we have ill feelings, as I said it before people are taking comments on these forums far too personal.

Everyone needs to chill a bit.

Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simbol said:

This is your conclusion, without any actual facts.

Wait - What do you think I've concluded exactly?

Mostly everything I said was couched with "very likely" as the starting point and always with some qualifiers and reservations -- it's all speculation from all of us on most all angles here.

I don't honestly have any hard conclusions or assertions besides the fact that I think it's reasonable that any unexpected potential threat to a livelihood (for you it's not primary money - for others it may be) to cause at least a tinge of anxiety.  That's human nature.

Edited by irrics