Sign in to follow this  
SergioCosta

The helicopter thread

Don't know if anyone mentioned this earlier. The mil sim (I use that term loosely) ARMA 3 has one of the most satisfying Helo sims I've ever flown. There are two models - Standard and Advanced. Both of them give a really good simulation of the feel of rotor energy and general flight under a rotor system. The advanced model is not often used on multiplayer ARMA servers, as it is so realistic most players can't really fly with it without crashing, especially if you are flying as a transport pilot, because your main goal is to get a load of players to, or near, an LZ in an active area of operations, with AA installations and ground based missile troops trying to nail you on the way in. Many Helo models are available in the game, both transport versions and armed versions. All are based on current designs, but some have slight visual tweaks, as the game takes place in a near future (and they may also have to avoid violating copyrights). Many players get sucked into this sim just for the flying experience. It all takes place on massive, and massively-detailed island-based, hand-made maps, that scale down from thousands of Kilometers in the air, to the flaking paint on the side of a building, and even individual blades of grass. You can fly down into and around all these objects without loss of detail. All models have detailed, functional instrument panels. You don't have to be in-game, either as a solo player or on a multiplayer server to fly. A comprehensive editor is at your service, in which you can set up any kind of situation, in any location, with any aircraft (or any othr gear or equipment available in this massive sandbox) and just fly without intrusion. This title is better than any aircraft software I have tried, for replicating low-n-slow flight over 3D terrain that looks and feels uncannily real. Absolute awareness of the state of your rotor energy at all times is required, and the Advanced flight model models flight characteristics and control inputs to an amazing level. The only thing really not modeled is separate functions for pitch and throttle, but most flyers will accept it because the flight models are so satisfying. My first Experimental build was a 90HP gyroplane, and this sim takes me right back to those days. You might want to take a look at it while you wait for Helo's to show up here. A full package is available on Steam for about $65 American.

• Like 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

Definition of a helicopter; ten thousand moving parts that all want to kill you.

The real challenge is to get all those moving parts to do what you want them to. Fixed wing aircraft flight is linear like a bicycle riding on rails. As long as you have sufficient forward airspeed, an empennage, wings, control surfaces, and a counter weight in the front it will “fly”.  A helicopter is like riding a unicycle, on cobblestones, while juggling. In effect you “fly” an airplane but you “dance” a helicopter.

MS 2004, FSX, and P3D all suffer from linear flight design structure. To ask a straight line to act like a pretzel in this environment is a difficult, but not impossible task, considering all the variables. X-Plane has done an admirable job of pushing the envelope and the hope was that MS would take up the mantle and improve on helicopter flight dynamics. We'll see...

A flight simulator without helicopters is like ordering a BLT sandwich and getting two slices of bread with a tomato. Where's the bacon?

OK, now I'm hungry, does anyone else want a BLT (with extra Bacon)?

Respectfully,

Roger  

Aerofly FS 2 also did  good helicopter wise. For FSX/P3D there was a free addon to change the dynamics for certain helicopters but that's about it.

Either way i fully agree, helicopters are needed to fully enjoy this awesome scenery we now have 🙂

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 hours ago, conundrum said:

Helicopters are a must.    Not started.     Backlog.

I believe Asobo is on record somewhere, saying helicopters are planned for Summer 2021 as a payware package with several models included. I guess it can't technically be a backlog if delivery is that far out...

I'll still wait that long if they do it right. And jump up and down yelling if they don't. 😁

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 10/7/2020 at 11:23 PM, Bosco19 said:

Don't know if anyone mentioned this earlier. The mil sim (I use that term loosely) ARMA 3 has one of the most satisfying Helo sims I've ever flown. There are two models - Standard and Advanced. Both of them give a really good simulation of the feel of rotor energy and general flight under a rotor system. The advanced model is not often used on multiplayer ARMA servers, as it is so realistic most players can't really fly with it without crashing, especially if you are flying as a transport pilot, because your main goal is to get a load of players to, or near, an LZ in an active area of operations, with AA installations and ground based missile troops trying to nail you on the way in. Many Helo models are available in the game, both transport versions and armed versions. All are based on current designs, but some have slight visual tweaks, as the game takes place in a near future (and they may also have to avoid violating copyrights). Many players get sucked into this sim just for the flying experience. It all takes place on massive, and massively-detailed island-based, hand-made maps, that scale down from thousands of Kilometers in the air, to the flaking paint on the side of a building, and even individual blades of grass. You can fly down into and around all these objects without loss of detail. All models have detailed, functional instrument panels. You don't have to be in-game, either as a solo player or on a multiplayer server to fly. A comprehensive editor is at your service, in which you can set up any kind of situation, in any location, with any aircraft (or any othr gear or equipment available in this massive sandbox) and just fly without intrusion. This title is better than any aircraft software I have tried, for replicating low-n-slow flight over 3D terrain that looks and feels uncannily real. Absolute awareness of the state of your rotor energy at all times is required, and the Advanced flight model models flight characteristics and control inputs to an amazing level. The only thing really not modeled is separate functions for pitch and throttle, but most flyers will accept it because the flight models are so satisfying. My first Experimental build was a 90HP gyroplane, and this sim takes me right back to those days. You might want to take a look at it while you wait for Helo's to show up here. A full package is available on Steam for about $65 American.

Wow. Thanks Bosco. That looks amazing. I’m freakin downloading it as we speak. 

Keith Sandford.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, Bosco19 said:

Used to post Arma 2 screenshots in FS forums back in the day, people could not understand how helis could look that good outside a real proper sim 🙂 Heli flying in Arma, specially in 3 is amazing. Plus, you can actually get out of the bloody chopper to do your preflight 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

Used to post Arma 2 screenshots in FS forums back in the day, people could not understand how helis could look that good outside a real proper sim 🙂 Heli flying in Arma, specially in 3 is amazing. Plus, you can actually get out of the bloody chopper to do your preflight 😄

Note: The same developer released a civilian helicopter sim named "Take On Helicopters," which is still available on Steam.

It's scripted story-driven missions with a bit of free flight around the Seattle area, including things like pre-flight walkaround checks. I think it used the Arma 2 helicopter flight model? There is a DLC with missions flying the Hind, I guess more combat oriented.

I played it for a while, but frankly the helicopter flight and systems modeling doesn't match what's available in DCS or XP11, so I never got through all the missions. It's something to check out though, if you're interested and don't want to fly DCS or XP11 while waiting for MSFS to include a helo flight model.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

8 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Note: The same developer released a civilian helicopter sim named "Take On Helicopters," which is still available on Steam.

It's scripted story-driven missions with a bit of free flight around the Seattle area, including things like pre-flight walkaround checks. I think it used the Arma 2 helicopter flight model? There is a DLC with missions flying the Hind, I guess more combat oriented.

I played it for a while, but frankly the helicopter flight and systems modeling doesn't match what's available in DCS or XP11, so I never got through all the missions. It's something to check out though, if you're interested and don't want to fly DCS or XP11 while waiting for MSFS to include a helo flight model.

Yep, the lifting missions were pretty fun where you had to transport cargo with a cable. 

Absolutely gutted. Arma 3 does not have VR support. 

Keith Sandford.

Has anyone tried to import FSX/P3D helicopters and using them with the legacy flight model?

If yes, has it been tested if HTR works with MSFS?

(I do not own MSFS, otherwise I would have done it myself).

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

On 10/17/2020 at 4:09 AM, slip-stream said:

Absolutely gutted. Arma 3 does not have VR support. 

It is said it that vorpx works with Arma 3.

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

On 10/16/2020 at 2:50 AM, Paraffin said:

frankly the helicopter flight and systems modeling [in Arma III] doesn't match what's available in DCS or XP11

Are you able to elaborate, please (meant sincerely).

I am aware that the FM is not XPain- or Aerofly class, but how much worse is it? 

On 11/8/2020 at 6:45 PM, dilore said:

It is said it that vorpx works with Arma 3.

Funny you should mention as that is exactly what I purchased and it work likes a dream. I just wished I knew how the mission editor worked. Having great fun flying the MH-47. Modded version with amazing sound effects. 

Keith Sandford.