Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

In-game VS Satellite

Just now, Shack95 said:

I think you're right. 

To give credit where credit is due, this is not a quote from me but from Siggy embedded in my own post. Any correction made by the machine or the man is an artificial texture. This doesn't mean IMHO that FS20 uses generic landclasses.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, arsenal82 said:

this make more sense

as comparing two sim; one with autogen and orthos and the other not; is a waste of time

I was not comparing, it just happened that this scenery with this screenshot... But thanks for reminding me the difference between both...

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

4 hours ago, arsenal82 said:

this make more sense

as comparing two sim; one with autogen and orthos and the other not; is a waste of time

I was not comparing, it just happened that this scenery was released for the other sim with a similar screenshot... But thanks for reminding me the difference between both...

Edited by Claviateur

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

To give credit where credit is due, this is not a quote from me but from Siggy embedded in my own post. Any correction made by the machine or the man is an artificial texture. This doesn't mean IMHO that FS20 uses generic landclasses.

I meant to quote @siggy, my bad. Regarding landclass, two of the leaked videos show offline mode with what looks like landclass (or whatever they call it in MSFS). Using this where there‘s no or messy satellite imagery doesn‘t appear to be too far-fetched an idea in my opinion. But I could be wrong of course. 

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Sorry... This message was a duplicate, the submit button did it twice...

Edited by Claviateur

22 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I meant to quote @siggy, my bad. Regarding landclass, two of the leaked videos show offline mode with what looks like landclass (or whatever they call it in MSFS). Using this where there‘s no or messy satellite imagery doesn‘t appear to be too far-fetched an idea in my opinion. But I could be wrong of course. 

Well the videos you mention indeed give a hint about it and this screenshot shows clearly a procedural land that does not use anything but the engine's native terrain/material :

u59ggsl8o7i41.png

• Like 1

I wish we (I) knew more about the texturing methods.  It seems a mix of shaders (procedural code) and old fashioned textures that have been touched up to some degree.  I wonder if more of the imagery will be shader based in the future.

Are the grass, roads and houses on the island above part of an orthophoto or is ALL of it drawn with code using a high definition classification system that is originally based on orthophotos or aerial imagery? 

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

2 hours ago, Claviateur said:

Well the videos you mention indeed give a hint about it and this screenshot shows clearly a procedural land that does not use anything but the engine's native terrain/material :

u59ggsl8o7i41.png

Some of that terrain is probably hand crafted. The airports video mentioned they’d do that with the more detailed airports, and I’m certain they showed this airport when saying that.

Edited by Tuskin38

you make it sound like it's a bad thing ? I love that they hand crafted some of the stuff.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

28 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I wish we (I) knew more about the texturing methods.  It seems a mix of shaders (procedural code) and old fashioned textures that have been touched up to some degree.  I wonder if more of the imagery will be shader based in the future.

Are the grass, roads and houses on the island above part of an orthophoto or is ALL of it drawn with code using a high definition classification system that is originally based on orthophotos or aerial imagery? 

I believe this Island is totally and purely done with Asobo's engine procedural terrain. No aerial imagery. 

Initially, I thought they chose the default terrain for the Island because a huge cloud is blocking it in Bing. However, as Shack95 observed in the unofficial/leaked videos, the default engine's terrain is probably what an offline mode will be. If this is the case, then this Island is the example of the Offline mode when it comes to the terrain...

In fact I believe the screenshot shows Asobo"s raw engine capability in terms of terrain, terrain material, water and skies. This is an example from a similar capable engine and how raw environment including terrains are done:

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

you make it sound like it's a bad thing ? I love that they hand crafted some of the stuff.

I didn’t say it was bad.

@Claviateur  --  thanks for the video(s).  I watched the 'arbitrary' and 'georeferenced' and part of the 'optimization' when my head exploded.  Listening to a computer talk at light speed about a program Ive never encountered is a bit much but its really cool stuff.

I wonder if the finished product -- a completed area --  what size is it on disk?  How does it compare with traditional methods of orthophoto and terrain mesh and all the other layers of data?

It seems to me that if you develop enough assets to cover the ground then the original ground imagery becomes extraneous.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

11 minutes ago, sightseer said:

@Claviateur  --  thanks for the video(s).  I watched the 'arbitrary' and 'georeferenced' and part of the 'optimization' when my head exploded.  Listening to a computer talk at light speed about a program Ive never encountered is a bit much but its really cool stuff.

I wonder if the finished product -- a completed area --  what size is it on disk?  How does it compare with traditional methods of orthophoto and terrain mesh and all the other layers of data?

It seems to me that if you develop enough assets to cover the ground then the original ground imagery becomes extraneous.

I can't tell how the compiled appliactions in Asobo's engine are prepared and delivered with the default engine's assets. I believe every engine has a strategy based on the recipe. Hence many graphic engines are available to license for different type of applications and games.

But the video I shared shows a very common process and method of creating terrains and environments in modern engines using in-engine tools for granular/manual terrain "painting" or data based terrain processing.

You know Epic provides its Unreal engine for free if you wish to learn how things are done. Also. Unreal is getting more and more oriented toward a "world engine" and real open world solutions. If you go through a template and create a quick interactive experience with a terrain etc, the exported application/games will have all the assets required to run the compiled version as a stand alone app.

But in the case of Asobo with their in-house engine, I suppose it was somehow adapted for the needs of a flight simulator with all what it takes to deploy and digests visual elements in a specific way I presume...

Can I say where my one in the last update is or will that spoil it (I would find it really difficult to place if I didn’t already know!). I guess you might be able to tell from the shape of the river...

21 hours ago, Claviateur said:

You know Epic provides its Unreal engine for free if you wish to learn how things are done. Also. Unreal is getting more and more oriented toward a "world engine" and real open world solutions. If you go through a template and create a quick interactive experience with a terrain etc, the exported application/games will have all the assets required to run the compiled version as a stand alone app.

But in the case of Asobo with their in-house engine, I suppose it was somehow adapted for the needs of a flight simulator with all what it takes to deploy and digests visual elements in a specific way I presume...

This sounds really cool and I may actually look into that. Im going to need a new hobby as cooking makes me fat and woodworking can be expensive and cloud and sky making certainly arent needed with this new sim.  But I am hoping that the new sim's in game scenery tools might be useful for someone like me to mess around with for my own uses.

• Like 1