Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Worth investing in P3D addons or wait?

10 minutes ago, dilore said:

Why will there be drama? The ported airplanes will use the legacy flight model, so this will clearly be an intermediate solution for the users.

I said "potential" meaning I don't know for sure, but some software EULAs can be fairly strict about using the IP outside the intended platform. It's not just about the flight model, but things like the 3D aircraft model and sounds, which are copyrighted assets.

To put it another way, many developers might like to charge you a second time for a version used in MSFS. 🙂  Even if it wasn't a new version and "just worked" in the new sim on a backwards-compatible basis.

Of course nothing would stop an end-user importing a model they already owned anyway, if it didn't rely on a DRM'd installation.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

17 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I said "potential" meaning I don't know for sure, but some software EULAs can be fairly strict about using the IP outside the intended platform. It's not just about the flight model, but things like the 3D aircraft model and sounds, which are copyrighted assets.

To put it another way, many developers might like to charge you a second time for a version used in MSFS. 🙂  Even if it wasn't a new version and "just worked" in the new sim on a backwards-compatible basis.

Of course nothing would stop an end-user importing a model they already owned anyway, if it didn't rely on a DRM'd installation.

Personally, I don't think it will be possible to use P3D planes like PMDG,  FSlabs, QW etc, in MSFS, without somehow being optimized, and even if they can, I'm sure the mentioned companies won't allow it without some form of "compensation". 

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

BTW. When the Alpha is being released to testers in October, do you think they will be under a NDA, or will be allowed to show videos and pictures, now that MS already have done it themselves?

Jorn Lundtoft

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

10 minutes ago, jlund said:

Personally, I don't think it will be possible to use P3D planes like PMDG,  FSlabs, QW etc, in MSFS, without somehow being optimized, and even if they can, I'm sure the mentioned companies won't allow it without some form of "compensation". 

I doubt it will possible too, high fidelity aircraft use special libraries etc that most probably will be incompatible with MSFS.

But if they do, it would be stupid by the 3rd party companies to prohibit such use. Those users who already have paid for the product will be <word not allowed> off, and many potential new customers will abstain from the purchase, these are legacy airplanes after all.

Edited by dilore

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

I would assume anyone who gets hands-on-stick testing of the Alpha will be under an NDA.

MS won't want any glitches shown while the sim is still under development. It's why the bloggers and vloggers in these new videos are only showing "B roll" clips of the flying provided by Microsoft in their videos, not what they were actually seeing when they were flying.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

You're probably right.

Edited by jlund

Jorn Lundtoft

4 hours ago, jlund said:

BTW. When the Alpha is being released to testers in October, do you think they will be under a NDA, or will be allowed to show videos and pictures, now that MS already have done it themselves?

Everybody will be under a NDA. The press wasn't allowed to record their booths where they were testing the simulator. That probably means Microsoft doesn't want anyone sharing videos/pictures of the simulator besides themselves.

Edited by ca_metal

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

4 hours ago, jlund said:

Yes, they will be under NDA. You had to acknowledge and sign it in order to apply for the alpha.

• Like 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

7 hours ago, TuFun said:

It's tempting will all of these 50%+ sales I've been getting in my emails lately.  I wonder why?  Sorry, not biting!   

alot of sales today and the past week, you're right

Well, even though this sim looks awesome out of the box, I have never had a sim yet that I didn't have to buy all kinds of aircraft and scenery to add in to get what I wanted.  That usually means a lot of money and also a lot of lead time as developers get to know the new version of FS.  It took ORBX years before they were really pushing the limits of FSX.  I don't know if we will need much by way of add on scenery; but even if we don't there are still the aircraft add-ons to consider. I enjoy flying helos - so far I have seen none in any promotional material for the new sim.

All that usually means that by the time this new FS comes out ( a year away?) plus time for developers to do their thing, plus time for me to gather the money and buy the add ons I want, I reckon I am at least three to five years away from even considering uninstalling P3D.

So my P3D purchasing days are not over, because I will be using it for years yet.  It's not as if I save up the money anyway - if I don't buy P3D add-ons now I won't have any more money when it comes to buying add-ons for this new sim - I am just not that disciplined!

• Upvote 1

Simple:

If you want certain add-on developers to still be in business and able to create new airport or new aircraft products for the new MFS, then you have to provide them with your money for current generation sim add-ons.

Obviously, they have to be of some interest to pick them up. For me, there are still a few products that I want to see in my P3D. I will buy them as there's quite some time before MFS is ready for payware airliners and payware airports.

But people shouldn't go around crying if their favourite developer goes bust and their own lack of purchases was part of the cause.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

8 hours ago, TuFun said:

It's tempting will all of these 50%+ sales I've been getting in my emails lately.  I wonder why?  Sorry, not biting!   

I have noticed that to. This will for sure put some of them on the brink, Orbx included. Going forward, 3rd party airports and planes will be where the bulk of the money will be spent. Texture replacement products, landclass, weather engines, etc... will not be needed based on what has been said so far. 

Eric 

10 hours ago, GodAtum said:

I want to buy add-on scenery but maybe I'll wait for this. Don't want to waste money buying something I'll only use less than 6 months.

If your plan is to summarily dump whatever you have on the day the new sim appears, never to look back, then maybe buying anything else might not be the best idea.

I, personally, don't plan on limiting myself to only one sim no matter how good the new one might turn out to be.  In fact, in the last month or so I resurrected FSX after several years of non-use with the original intent to run it on my portable LAN box machine when travelling.  Today when I got done flying KORD-KDEN in the FSL A320 on my main sim rig in P3Dv4, I fired up the portable and flew my 2009-vintage PMDG MD-11F from KMEM to KMCO in FSX.  Both flights were really quite enjoyable...sure, P3Dv4 on the big 55" display is nicer, but I still enjoyed going a little bit retro and putting the old trusty MD-11 through its paces.  I have a handful of planes that never made the trip to P3D that I think make keeping a working FSX setup worth the trouble.  I sometimes even find myself toying again with the idea of resurrecting FS9 in similar fashion for some *real* retro fun...

I'm not marrying the sim...I'm allowed to two-time her for as long as it still suits me.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

9 hours ago, Paraffin said:

What are the licensing considerations there?

Will payware developers who sold FSX and P3D aircraft models be happy if their customers can easily import their models into the new MSFS? Obviously this is great for the end-user, but I foresee some potential drama here...

Is it really stated that a Customer can move the product? I did not read or heard that. I heard a dev said that there will be a surtain compatibillity which lets products port to FSX. But who can do that is not said. Or?

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png