Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

No support for TrackIR !?

Relax everyone. TrackIR will almost certainly be supported. It is relatively simple to implement, which is why every flight and space sim and nearly every driving game have it. I can’t explain why the devs said it won’t be there. Maybe they are not familiar with it, but they certainly will be made so after critical feedback from testers. 

• Like 1

I haven't been worried about a TrackIR implementation because I assumed they would have one on release.  Even if it's a minimal implementation with just pitch/yaw without roll or translation it would be sufficient, and that should be simple to implement.  A full implementation would be much better, however, as you get used to moving your head to the side to look around an obstruction.

I prefer to use a zoom level that makes my instruments appear life size and TrackIR is essential to do this.  In fact, I was using that zoom level with the hat and this is what prompted me to get TrackIR originally.

Question:  Does anyone else use a zoom level of about 0.8, or am I the only one?  

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Question:  Does anyone else use a zoom level of about 0.8, or am I the only one?  

In P3D I use a zoom of 0.8 (set up with ChasePlane) for my Majestic Q400 (which is the only plane I fly) and TrackIR.

8 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

In P3D I use a zoom of 0.8 (set up with ChasePlane) for my Majestic Q400 (which is the only plane I fly) and TrackIR.

Should start another thread for this ...

I use 0.8 as well

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

I haven't been worried about a TrackIR implementation because I assumed they would have one on release.  Even if it's a minimal implementation with just pitch/yaw without roll or translation it would be sufficient, and that should be simple to implement.  A full implementation would be much better, however, as you get used to moving your head to the side to look around an obstruction.

I prefer to use a zoom level that makes my instruments appear life size and TrackIR is essential to do this.  In fact, I was using that zoom level with the hat and this is what prompted me to get TrackIR originally.

Hook

My zoom level is set to about 0.65. Of course, the selection is driven by monitor size. My monitor is 58". So your 0.80 may be my 0.65 - both achieving approximately life-size instruments at our in-sim cockpit view-point  setting and viewing distance from the monitor. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

On 10/24/2019 at 2:35 PM, Twenty6 said:

Wouldn't Trackir support come from the other direction. .. Natural Point,  not MS?

I don't think that's correct. My understanding is that Natural Point supply the driver/library but the game devs need to integrate support for it into the game. Please post in this thread to give them an idea of how popular TrackIR/head tracking is so that they may reconsider their decision. Head tracking has virtually no performance impact so is usable with even the most lowly of machines which is one of the things which makes it so popular. Also, there are TrackIR-compatible options (Opentrack, FaceTrackNoIR) which can cost as little as nothing if you already have a webcam so it really is accessible by almost everyone.

Finally, a plea from me to help maintain my sanity - please lets not make this thread a TrackIR vs VR competition.

Edited by vortex681
  • Upvote 5

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I might give TrackIR a go. I have a Rift S and although it's amazing I don't use it all that often because it gives me eye strain. I'm more of a pit builder than a desk flyer, but on the occasions that I do fly my desk it might make it a little more immersive.

Doesn't it feel weird turning your head but having to keep your eyes pointed where they were... or do you just get used to it?

So, does TrackIR not allow you to bind to 'look' such as mouse look, and then simply take that over and allow you to look around? This is pretty much how EdTracker works?

1 minute ago, b737800 said:

Doesn't it feel weird turning your head but having to keep your eyes pointed where they were... or do you just get used to it?

Yes and Sort Of

Its weird but functional (but still weird)

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 1

This is a bigger disappointment for me in light of how well TrackIR support was implemented by Microsoft-Aces Studios for Flight Simulator X via their Simconnect API. I have the already mentioned Elite Dangerous, DCS and ArmA 3 and they definitely have decent integrations for TrackIR, but IMO aren't as skillfully done as the fluid, flawless 6-DOF head tracking in FSX. X-Plane 11 once the 3rd party X-Camera snapin is installed can deliver something equivalent with some added functionality, but that involves a fair amount of additional configuration.

Donning my flight cap + T sensor (yup I'm a holdout that has yet to embrace the Pro clip) is just part of my daily ritual of simming. I'm simming on a withering potato of a PC these days, so I really wasn't a day 1 candidate for the Windows edition of FS2020 anyways.  When I eventually do purchase a new PC though, unless there's TrackIR support I won't be buying it. I may still buy the Xbox version to run on my son's XB1 X once it's available, but that'll be for casual, couch flying only.

16 minutes ago, b737800 said:

I did get used to it in a few minutes and whenever I use TrackIR now (which is ALWAYS) it genuinely feels like I am actually looking around. It doesn't feel weird at all. It feels very natural. Take note that in order to for instance look completely left you do not have to move your head completely left: the movements are enlarged (sorry, can't come up with the proper word for it). You can change how much btw. So you never have to hurt your eyes (and neck) in order to see what's happening on your screen. Also when you look left your eyes don't stay pointed where they were: they do actually look to the left of the screen a bit whenever you look left. (Hard to explain in words, haha!) Whenever I look up to the overhead of the Q400 it really feels like I am looking up. I guess you will have to try it yourself. 😉

YMMV though as irrics post proves. 😉 I think that 95% of the people who tried TrackIR kept on using it: there ARE those who do not like it though and couldn't get used to it.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

YMMV though as irrics post proves. 😉 I think that 95% of the people who tried TrackIR kept on using it: there ARE those who do not like it though and couldn't get used to it.

Are we just fabricating statistics?

What on Earth are you basing your 95% guess on?

lol

Sorry, I’m only laughing because it seems like a consistent trend with human beings that we somehow fabricate narratives that support what we want all too often.

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, b737800 said:

The point isn't to rotate the view while your eyes remain where they were, but to change the center of where your eyes are looking. For example, if you're flying a downwind leg in the pattern for landing, you turn your head slightly to the side for a view of the runway, then back to the center of the cockpit to read instruments and flight attitude. It feels pretty natural after you get used to it.

Also, it's not necessarily a 1:1 ratio of head motion to camera motion. You can set TrackIR to move the view faster than your head is actually turning to reduce neck strain. There can also be movement speed curves, mainly used in combat sims, so the last part of the rotation can be very fast. That's useful for things like "checking six" directly behind you, without actually turning your head that far.

11 minutes ago, stripealipe said:

So, does TrackIR not allow you to bind to 'look' such as mouse look, and then simply take that over and allow you to look around? This is pretty much how EdTracker works?

It replaces mouse look, and can have added functionality like Z-axis (translation) so you don't just move your head in yaw, pitch, and roll axes, but you can also lean forward or back, for a closer view of cockpit instruments. So in addition to adding immersion, it means you no longer need to fuss with hat switches or mouse to look around the cockpit, and can use those controls for other things.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

11 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

Yes, we are. 😎 And I am basing it on experience. I've been participating on FS forums since the internet came into existence and I've been using TrackIR myself since 2006: in all those years I've read about people not liking TrackIR only very few times so 95% is my educated guess. 😉 I really think it is a good guess. Could be 94% or 96% too though. 😉 But I don't think I fabricated support for what I want: I really think 95% isn't far off. Maybe I should start a poll... 😜

lol

"touché"

+1 on the TIR compatibility at whatever stage at or post release. Just get it done.

• Upvote 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |