Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Is there any versions out now with decent resolution?

Hoping..

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Keep hoping, because it probably won't be too much longer. VR manufacturers report resolution as 4K 8k, etc., when in fact the resolution numbers used for flat monitors are pretty much useless for VR headsets. Keep watching for a VR headset that has a high enough pixel per degree resolution. PPD takes into account the field of vision (FOV), which is also an important factor in determining the utility of a VR headset for flight simming. In most 3D app, you aren't reading the fine print so to speak. Some of the newer VR headsets get around the PPD limitation by having a higher density of pixels in the center of the FOV:

https://www.insidescience.org/news/hacking-our-eyes-better-vr-headsets

A nice video here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/81739/resolution-vs-ppi-vs-ppd-explained-which-is-best-and-why-for-vr

6 hours ago, warbirds said:

Hoping..

I think it depends on expectations, one's particular eyes, and your individual tolerance for imperfection.

I think my Rift S is fine, especially with the supersampling at higher levels. Others mileage may vary.

Just be careful those urges for super-pixel resolutions don't make your FP's slow to a slideshow!

There are always compromises.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Please find some way to try the ultra crisp HP Reverb with 2160x2160 resolution - sure looks like an HD monitor to my eyes. Not everybody loves it - a lot of votes for the Rift S and the Valve Index as well.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Wikipedia keeps its VR headset specs page updated as new models are released. Note the Varjo, which has the central portion of the FOV at 60 PPD, Unfortunately, it's way too expensive for consumer use. 60 PPD is some kind of "magic number" that experts believe is the upper limit of what the human eye can perceive. 30 PPD would be suitable for just about all flightsim applications and most VR headsets are in the 10-15 PPD range, except for the HP Reverb and the Pimax 8K:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_reality_headsets

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Wikipedia keeps its VR headset specs page updated as new models are released.

Thanks, that's a great resource which I didn't know.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, P3D Professional 5, AeroflyFS2, XP11; Beta tester of SimStarter, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB +  4 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 /  XTOP/Saitek hardware panel / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

I like the concept of measuring subpixels per degree since it then gives more credence to the RGB stripe arrangement versus the pentile. This is an area that the Reverb is strong in - even those HMDs that are still in the 1440x1600 region but have high  numbers of subpixels are quite sharp.

A few examples:

HMD---------FOV---------PPD---------SubpixelsPerDegree

Rift S---------110----------12.34---------21.38

Reverb-------114----------18.95--------32.82

Valve Index--130---------11.68--------20.22

Rift CV1-------94----------12.11--------17.13

Vive------------110---------10.35--------14.64

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

You'll have a great VR experience with each of these HMD's, i wouldn't bet so much on numbers alone,
if possible try to test the HMD's for yourself somewhere, not only the Hardware but also the software and support is very important for a good VR experience.

Ofcourse thats just my experience, i had almost all HMD's from the start in 2012 with the Rift Dev Kit.

Oddysey Plus,Reverb, Rift S and Pimax 5K+ all have decent resolutions. Atleast try these HMDs first to get a better understanding how VR works. You don’t need  4K monitor packed inside a headset to have clarity and Rift S has proven that. We are already reading cockpit guages with clarity from afar.

Blindly speculating isn’t a solution to your wants and desires 

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

3 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

Ofcourse thats just my experience, i had almost all HMD's from the start in 2012 with the Rift Dev Kit.

I tip my hat to you as a true early adopter.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

The immersion I got on my first gen rift was enough to blow me away at first.  I think my vive pro does a very good job for now but I do wish the resolution was just a bit higher.  My only issues have been trying to find a good group of settings to get the best performance without it looking worse than 2d.  I must say though - since I've made the switch to a Samsung 49" ultra wide I haven't really felt the need for VR for awhile.  It's been almost as immersive as VR.  Another benefit to the ultra wide is I can utilize all my goflight hardware without fumbling around.  Actually....as I'm typing this I realized the one big drawback going from my rift to the vive pro - the nose hole!  Alot of people say the nose hole on the rift was a distraction - I loved it because I could just poke down really quick and see my goflight hardware really easily.  The vive pro while nice that it FULLY blocks the outside world, makes it a bit more difficult to use in certain situations.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

14 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I tip my hat to you as a true early adopter.

Hey HiFlyer i was allways a VR evangelist 😇 then finaly when it become reality, for me the Oculus Rift Dk1 was such a great experience, despite the super low resolution it never bothered me. Hardware changes over time anyway, TO experience the VR was for me more important as the resolution, this didnt changed today.

23 minutes ago, pegruder said:

The immersion I got on my first gen rift was enough to blow me away at first.  I think my vive pro does a very good job for now but I do wish the resolution was just a bit higher.  My only issues have been trying to find a good group of settings to get the best performance without it looking worse than 2d.  I must say though - since I've made the switch to a Samsung 49" ultra wide I haven't really felt the need for VR for awhile.  It's been almost as immersive as VR.  Another benefit to the ultra wide is I can utilize all my goflight hardware without fumbling around.  Actually....as I'm typing this I realized the one big drawback going from my rift to the vive pro - the nose hole!  Alot of people say the nose hole on the rift was a distraction - I loved it because I could just poke down really quick and see my goflight hardware really easily.  The vive pro while nice that it FULLY blocks the outside world, makes it a bit more difficult to use in certain situations.

Be glad you didnt get a Samsung Odyssey+. I just was fiddling with mine, preparatory to offering it for sale, and I had forgotten that its probably the most uncomfortable (to the point of causing actual pain) headset ever made.

Devons rig

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Be glad you didnt get a Samsung Odyssey+. I just was fiddling with mine, preparatory to offering it for sale, and I had forgotten that its probably the most uncomfortable (to the point of causing actual pain) headset ever made.

Funny story - I had bough the first version Odyssey after my buddy raved about it - I returned it the next day.  This was compared to my rift as the pro wasnt out yet at the time.  The displays were 'ok' in my opinion, it was certainly uncomfortable, and the inside out tracking was awful to me coming from a 4 sensor rift setup.

• Like 1

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

im about to put m O+ up for sale now, mine is decked out with all the comfort mods though

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2