Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

PMDG 737NGXu First Impressions and Review!

23 hours ago, threegreen said:

I can't see much of a difference in performance and relatively little change in GPU usage when I use DL with normal use of aircraft lights, this being some background lighting in the cockpit as well as external lights. Only when I turn every light, both internal and external, on is it that I notice a drop in performance. I don't think DL is the culprit either, especially since a lot of performance issues are reported even in daylight conditions.

This is basically what I've been saying a couple of pages back. I don't think the NGXu in its essence is a performance hog. Something else seems to be at play which has probably largely gone unnoticed or not perceived as capable of unfolding such significant effects in terms of performance during in-house testing at PMDG. This would also play into why I and some others are not having any performance issues.

I have to agree.  Just pulled the trigger and at default EGIN AFB, with default sim clear skies, ORBX Global and NA LC installed (w/ locked FPS @ 30) getting 29-30 fps, constant in VC, during daytime.

Haven't tried at night at an Add-on AP, with all DL options enabled yet, but very impressed with FPS at stock AP so far.

Running:

i7 6700 @4.5/ 32gb DDR4 @ 2400/ 1080i 8GB/ and Win10 on SSD P3D on 2tb HDD.

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

9 hours ago, Shomron said:

Question - I find the gauges labels blurry in the NGXu. This was also a problem in the NGX. I use 2048 textures on a full HD monitor.

Removing bloom effect (I use HDR) does not sharpen the labels.

Any tips?

I hope it's not the fact I don't use a 2k or 4k monitor 😁

Anyone?

Shom

[P3D v4.5 HF2 running on Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, EVGA 1080Ti, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[FSLabs A320, PMDG 737 NGXu, PMDG 777, AS CRJ Pro, CS 757 iii, Fly The Maddog X, Majestic Dash 8, QW 787, TFDI 717, AS Airbus ProFeelthere E175/195 v3]

3 hours ago, Shomron said:

Anyone?

Do you have this set in your Prepar3d.cfg?

[PANELS]

MAX_VC_TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=4096

What's your zoom level?

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Do you have this set in your Prepar3d.cfg?

[PANELS]

MAX_VC_TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=4096

What's your zoom level?

Cheers, Rob.

Hmmmm, Is that Frame rate friendly?

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Is that Frame rate friendly?

It should be, but might use some additional VRAM.  I believe the default is 4096 so it should already be set, but it's worth checking if VC text is blurry.

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It should be, but might use some additional VRAM.  I believe the default is 4096 so it should already be set, but it's worth checking if VC text is blurry.

Cheers, Rob.

In the UI I have high resolution VC checked. Is that it? I'll check and report

Shom

[P3D v4.5 HF2 running on Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, EVGA 1080Ti, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[FSLabs A320, PMDG 737 NGXu, PMDG 777, AS CRJ Pro, CS 757 iii, Fly The Maddog X, Majestic Dash 8, QW 787, TFDI 717, AS Airbus ProFeelthere E175/195 v3]

Does it have Procedure Turn feature in fmc? hows the failure option? is there something new?

Dray Langley

56 minutes ago, dray007 said:

Does it have Procedure Turn feature in fmc? hows the failure option? is there something new?

Not sure if I get you completely but it does have manual and automatic turnaround procedures controlled via the FMC. I haven't checked myself but I think it was announced the failures are more detailed and some have been added.

Prepar3Dv5 | ASUS Maximus XI Code Z390 | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6 MSI Lightning Z Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB | Samsung 43'' 4K curved TV | HP Reverb 2 VR HMD | Agronn 737 Captain's Yoke | FSC 737 Throttle Quadrant | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

38 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Not sure if I get you completely but it does have manual and automatic turnaround procedures controlled via the FMC. I haven't checked myself but I think it was announced the failures are more detailed and some have been added.

Procedure turn is a course reversal in order to establish the acft on the final approach course, usually it involves the 45/180 degree procedure, racetrack or the teardrop.

IIRC, the old NGX and its FMC was not able to execute these procedures correctly. Havent tried it in the NGXu. But use the timer and fly standard rate turns is my advice

nw67ik-6.png

i9 9900K , Cooled by Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC | 32 GB Corsair DDR4 RAM |
EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Fractal Design ARC XL | 4 x Corsair ML140 | NZXT Sentry 3 |

PFC Saab Yoke w. Warthog throttle | 32" Philips 4K Monitor

Well, after some concerns about performance, I ended up buying it anyway. 

How is it in VR? Pretty good, actually. Have turned the FO screens off, and the captain screens refresh rate down, which helped a quite a bit. 

Some of the cockpit PBR is dodgy - that carpet on the kick panels is awfully reflective. And the smaller guages, like the brake pressure one, shimmer quite a bit.

DL is not a big deal for me in VR EXCEPT for the dome light, which really sucks frames.

Being on the P3D platform, I miss the hand controllers that I use with the Zibo, but have got 80% of the controls I need mapped to my Warthog yoke, including some key MCP functions.

Have set up Voiceattack for the remaining functions (along with checklists), and started playing with the SDK so I can control the overhead.

Overall: well, I flew it til 6am this morning and then turned up to work after an hour’s sleep, so I guess I like it.  🙂

• Like 1

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Have they changed the names of the panel states?

I use to use "long" as that would place the NG on ground gpu state.

Has this changed at all. I am thinking of buying it this weekend as i have just updated to W10 and in the process of a complete fresh install of P3D and every addon.

I also in the old NG like I do as in the FSL as I use two screens one above the other don't need 3D ND etc to have a 30 fps refresh rate. Like the FSL I set the 3D to 5 FPS and have pop ups (2D) set to 12 FPS.

I would be very interested if someone set a VC view zoom to not show the ND etc, like a zoom level of around 80-90 and with the 3d displayed set to the minimum fps in the FMC and see how FPS is then.

I found in all PMDG setting the 3d displays like that saved a lot of FPS.

David Murden.  MSFS 2020  172 G1000 : Bonanza G36 CCL P3D v5  FSL A321 / A320 / A319 : PMDG NGu / 748iF  DCS: A10C  : AV-8B  :  F-14B  : F-16C F/A-18C

My FSL Walkthrough PDF From GPU to Parked.      My PMDG NGXu Light Mod      AVSIM FILES

PC 4790k@4.6 : 1070 : 16GB DDR3 : Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS: Thrustmaster TPR. ( Ordered 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON : AIO Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm : 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 14-14-14-31: RTX 3080 : Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus : 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2 )

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Have they changed the names of the panel states?

I use to use "long" as that would place the NG on ground gpu state.

Has this changed at all. I am thinking of buying it this weekend as i have just updated to W10 and in the process of a complete fresh install of P3D and every addon.

I also in the old NG like I do as in the FSL as I use two screens one above the other don't need 3D ND etc to have a 30 fps refresh rate. Like the FSL I set the 3D to 5 FPS and have pop ups (2D) set to 12 FPS.

I would be very interested if someone set a VC view zoom to not show the ND etc, like a zoom level of around 80-90 and with the 3d displayed set to the minimum fps in the FMC and see how FPS is then.

I found in all PMDG setting the 3d displays like that saved a lot of FPS.

Hi David , 

I am at work but from top of my head i dont think the "short" and "long" is present but i could be wrong. I know cold and dark is there so maybe you just make your own "on gpu" like i use to do with front door open etc.

About your screen setup. Have you consider disable the 3D Gauge display for the ND in panel.cfg ? I do it when i undock the FMC/CDU so it is blacked out in VC cockpit invironment . That saves some FPS .

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I think it may be possible to define your own state. I like to use previous state and set the aircraft in the state I would like to return to. I believe if you do the same thing and copy/rename the saved state file and you have defined your own.

Edited by JasonPC

I just watched BB doing 3 landing one with only one engine and cutting the throttle at 50 ft and it still floats. Really thought they would have sorted out the bad floaty landings.

David Murden.  MSFS 2020  172 G1000 : Bonanza G36 CCL P3D v5  FSL A321 / A320 / A319 : PMDG NGu / 748iF  DCS: A10C  : AV-8B  :  F-14B  : F-16C F/A-18C

My FSL Walkthrough PDF From GPU to Parked.      My PMDG NGXu Light Mod      AVSIM FILES

PC 4790k@4.6 : 1070 : 16GB DDR3 : Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS: Thrustmaster TPR. ( Ordered 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON : AIO Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm : 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 14-14-14-31: RTX 3080 : Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus : 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2 )

Usually jets tend to float more during the flare during OEI ops because you land with less flaps, hence less drag, at least IRL.

On one engine one tends to fly the approach rather a tad fast than a tad slow, another reason for an increased floating tendency.

Edited by FDEdev