Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Why I'll Buy it Without Seasons

I'll buy it, but I won't be happy.  This is the closest thing that we'll get to a "complete sim", that we've been waiting years for...I'm sure there will be some representation of seasons.  What they could do is release it in late spring and then they'll have until next fall to implement them:-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, b737800 said:

Because by weather they mean precipitation, winds, clouds etc. By seasons they mean snow coverage, leaf colours, deciduous trees losing leaves and the sale at DFS finally ending.

I am fully aware of the difference you pointed out.  Please read the lines in my signature. 

Did you not notice I said "real-time"?  How could snow be left out of real time?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

X-Plane doesn't have seasons but still has real world weather. So I imagine the same as that.

The ground will just look the same all year round.

Does X-Plane not have snow as part of real time weather?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

52 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Does X-Plane not have snow as part of real time weather?

No, XPlane 11 has a very simplistic, out of the box, weather system. Very strange for a simulator with top notch flight dynamics... The weather UI of XP11 can grab real weather from the web and builds a sky with few layers of cotton like clouds. Snow is not simulated but then you see a repetitive animation of snow blowing on the runways in the middle of an evergreen landscape... If rain is part of the real weather downloaded data, then precipitation animation will consist of strange tiny and super thin lines that you almost never see unless at specific angles and light condition in outside view... The windshield is clean and so is the ground... . All in all, nothing of what FSX had, let alone Asobo`s MSFS.

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

2 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

No, XPlane 11 has a very simplistic, out of the box, weather system. Very strange for a simulator with top notch flight dynamics...

2 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

All in all, nothing of what FSX had, let alone Asobo`s MSFS.

(We go live to Jeopardy with Alex Trebek...)

Who is:  "Austin"?

Edited by irrics

No no no no no!
All of you have got it wrong!

We're supposed to jump up and down, scream and throw our toys out of the pram if we don't get seasons from Day 1.

Then, if our actions make seasons a priority, we do the same for ATC, same for helicopters, same for multi-screen support....  

(I would like seasons to be developed after release. Eternal summer doesn't work for me, but I can fly in places where it's not such an obvious limitation to begin with).

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

13 minutes ago, irrics said:

(We go live to Jeopardy with Alex Trebek...)

To be honest, Austin's perception of what X-Plane is probably changed since I started following his work, back when I used to fly/create scenery for FS2004/FSX

He used to have what some called "arrogant" attitude toward what we can call immersive features... 

X-Plane was initially like a vizualisation tool or previewing tool for the superb blade element flight model they implemented. 

But then after FSX was terminated by MS, I think XP V10 started to head toward more immersive aspects and it's only V11 that conviced me...

Today, I think Austin has a more flexible attitude toward many of the features Laminar Research considered irrelevant few years ago...

I heard him talk about MSFS in the latest Q&A and he seems impressed with the visual immersion of MSFS as far as I noticed...

But then they decided to remove the Q&A after they received criticism from the community because according to the critics, LR did not reveal anything new that makes this community feel they will do something to compete with MSFS as far as I could understand...

Yet I think it's irrelevant to think that LR can compete with MS in terms of the simulator's world engine features, power and capability...

Edited by Claviateur

7 hours ago, Claviateur said:

To be honest, Austin's perception of what X-Plane is probably changed since I started following his work, back when I used to fly/create scenery for FS2004/FSX

Honestly, for the mainstream market, I think XP will be a dead platform a couple years from now.

Note to XP fans:  I'm in no way rooting for that!

The technology, commitment and budget advantages that this new MSFS has, not to mention that proprietary Asobo engine, are the most substantial we've ever seen in this space.

Edited by 188AHC
Pruned an exceedingly long quote.

One of the things I enjoy most about simming is the complete "you are there" experience - I'm going for immersion. I also love flying my local weather.  So I'll miss seasons if they're not provided at the outset.  That said... the Caribbean is a wonderful place and I look forward to wintering there until the seasons come along in due course.  Lack of seasons isn't ideal but for me it's a solvable problem.

Edited by Alan_A
  • Like 4

At the end of the day we're buying a 10-yr flight simulator project (at least, I hope).  It will not be everything to everybody at initial release, but as the developers maintain close contact with the avid (and sometimes, rabid) simulation community, the product will certainly start morphing into what the collective wants as a whole.  There is already way too much desirable technology with the pre-Tech Alpha builds to think for even a nano second that this won't be an instant buy at release.  I'm in this for the long haul!

• Like 5

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I would like to see how many that will not buy this game if it comes without seasons in the initial release.

I am quite sure it will not be many

• Upvote 1

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

It''ll be weird flying into MSP in thundersnow in the middle of January and everything down below will be lush green, 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 hour ago, irrics said:

Austin Meyer is the developer of X-Plane.

Al

I dumped P3D because I got tired of waiting for more realism in terms of weather and environment.  You can easily make xplane look great with no money, but the lack of seasons, decent weather and environment, and the lack of a real response from LR in terms of putting them in the sim really left a bad taste in my mouth.  They're the ones who were supposedly more-flexible and community-focused than P3D, and I was disappointed when I made the switch to find that's not really the case.

While I use x-plane frequently, there are very few options from 3rd party devs for weather/seasons that are any good, and x-enviro is the only one that gives us seasons over orthos with a slider for control.  Not impressed, but content to have it nonetheless.

The attitude from both developers is why MSFS was reborn- they identified the problem of the lack of response to what the c community wanted and ran with it.  Now LR is rushing to figure out what to do next, and they're still clueless, which the Q&A clearly demonstrated.  They looked like a bunch of drunk, rag-tag third-rate developers with a touch of arrogance and over-confidence.  I'm not holding my breath for anything substantive to come out from either platform until well after fs2020 is released.  That's why I'm convinced that MS will give us seasons.  It's something that the community clearly wants, and they've acknowledged this.  I can't imagine that a third platform will hit the market without including what the other two lacked.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by dal330200
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

One of the things I enjoy most about simming is the complete "you are there" experience - I'm going for immersion.

Yes this is exactly what simulation is and should be. But unfortunately some still live in the 80s/90s and insist that only flight dynamics are important in a simulator...

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1