Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Why I'll Buy it Without Seasons

I love seasons. I'm a Minnesotan.  We have all four of them (or maybe just Winter and Road Construction lol).  In the Twin Cities we'll typically have snow on the ground from December till March, and I mean snow covered roads, houses - from the air everything is white.

However, there is so much more to enjoy about flying, than flying in Winter or Fall alone.  I've decided I will purchase the new sim regardless if it has seasons or not.  Thankfully I'm an xp11 user, so I already have some experience without seasons.  Flying in the summer has a lot of positives.  Everything is green and beautiful, it's easy to pick out landmarks (vfr a joy), you have pretty clouds (and not so pretty T storms), the days are long with plenty of light.

To skip out on this version of flightsim due to the omission of seasons would be something I just couldn't do.  I'd be missing out on new flight dynamics, amazing atmospheric conditions, stunning lighting, photo realistic landscapes, and tons more.

Your thoughts on what your plans are?

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am with you, Ryan. I was and still am not happy with the absence of seasons. I like to have my snow in Alaska so to speak,  but thruth to be told I find that what we have been shown so far in the 3 EP  so impressive that I will go with the new sim anyway. I will wait a little longer for migrating ducks and now, hibernating bears 😏

I still don't understand how they will manage real winter weather in the Northern latitudes with summer ground but we'll see.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'll definitely buy it without seasons.  id love to have Fall/Autumn but I hate snow and cold.  I've spent 99% of my flight simulating life in Spring and Summer.  When winter hits the north, I go south (and vice versa)

Im sure it will have seasons eventually due to the nature of the graphics presentation (aka shaders).

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

2 minutes ago, domkle said:

I still don't understand how they will have manage real winter weather in the Northern latitudes with summer ground but we'll see.

I'm wondering this as well.  If theyre using sat imagery for the ground then surely in parts of the world the ground should look white, but then how will the 3d trees and such look?  I guess well all find out soon enough.

Either way - I've dabbled in XP11 myself as well without seasons and its not the biggest deal breaker.  From the XO19 interview it sounds like its on the roadmap and will get here eventually anyway.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Can't imagine that no seasons would be a no buy for anyone. For my part I wouldn't fly into airports/areas which look strange and are usually not much used in summer, e.g. Courchevel. 

I can live with it temporarily by limiting my flying to places that are green all year, but I would need seasons to 100% move over to the new sim.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Did I not hear them promote real time weather?  How could it have real time weather and not have seasons?

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well, not sure there are many users (waiting for the next gen simulator on the market) who will cancel the purchase of MSFS just because seasons are not implemented yet. 

I live in Canada, I think snow adds a different experience VFR + IFR (witnessed it inreal world flights) yet I will get MSFS for sure with or without seasons as a V1 / R1.

I am a fan of Asobo's work so far and their attention to details. So I am confident that sooner or later, they will bring at least snow to the landscape, to make the immersion complete in regions where snow is reality for many months. And I believe this will be in a  dynamic way considering the engine capabilities...

For now I use XP11 (until MSFS is out at least) and thanks to the plugin's Xenviro / 1.1 update, we have dynamic snow (and fall as well). And with this plugin update I am rediscovering the completely different challenges of winter flights here in Canada after 3 years of evergreen unreaslitic landscape... And precipitation

By experience, I think we need to look at seasons as extra challenges in simulation and not as decoration or eye candy as some claim.

A landscape in Fall is already a different reference for many VFR pilots, let alone Snowy scenery... I had the chance to fly with my cousin many years ago, and I witnessed the challenges of a white landscape + some haze + some snow falling when it comes to VFR... References are radically different or sometimes hidden, and then good luck spoting your airfield with patches of snow creating a perfect camouflage coat for the runway...

Then we can talk about IFR in a snow storm... A completely different story.

But again, I am confident Asobo will get something impressive in this part of the sim, just like they did with the global weather and rain.

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Lets all remember, sooner or later almost everything imaginable for a flight (World) sim will probably be implemented... 

Last year at this time we had no idea the flight sim world would be rocked like this!

Edited by rjetster1

53 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Did I not hear them promote real time weather?  How could it have real time weather and not have seasons?

X-Plane doesn't have seasons but still has real world weather. So I imagine the same as that.

The ground will just look the same all year round.

Edited by Tuskin38

51 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Because by weather they mean precipitation, winds, clouds etc. By seasons they mean snow coverage, leaf colours, deciduous trees losing leaves and the sale at DFS finally ending.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

X-Plane doesn't have seasons but still has real world weather. So I imagine the same as that.

The ground will just look the same all year round.

Ideally all this should be connected in a simulation (Weather system / ground conditions). But Laminar Research are taking more and more immersion seriously.

Before, all this was considered eye candy... In the latest Q&A, they talked about some R&D being ongoing in the dynamic season area...

But all in all, the whole simplistic weather system of XP needs a serious revamp and upscale as it it does not give justice to their flight model...

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Pretty sure that seasons will come....... Eventually. 🙂

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/