Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Why I'll Buy it Without Seasons

38 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

It''ll be weird flying into MSP in thundersnow in the middle of January and everything down below will be lush green, 

I mentioned that same exact sentence since XPlane 11 was released but I used my own town here in Canada as an example 🙂

Unfortuantely Laminar Research never made this a priority but luckily a commercial plugin made this happen...

So hopefully Asobo will surprise us with something special here...

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Not sure why people aren't saying they will buy this if there are no seasons at launch... kinda silly if you ask me. I'll purchase this day 1 to enjoy all the eye candy of the world until seasons are implemented.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Claviateur said:

Yes this is exactly what simulation is and should be. 

Well, clearly I agree, but not everyone does.  There are people who are so fascinated by one aspect - say, aircraft systems - that they're willing to trade off everything else. Which is fine - everybody gets to define his or her own enjoyment - until it leads to complaints about "eye candy" and, more generally, posts along the lines of, "It's a [THING I LIKE] simulator, not a [THING YOU LIKE] simulator!" I've never been able to tolerate that kind of intolerance.

I look forward to losing myself in the sim - even if it's a while before I can do that in cold weather... 😎

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

Yes this is exactly what simulation is and should be. But unfortunately some still live in the 80s/90s and insist that only flight dynamics are important in a simulator...

Flight dynamics is a fundamental factor for me, I wouldn’t be interested in a lovely landscaped sim with realistic weather if there was not the challenge of flying convincing dynamics.

What Asobo seems to have understood and what I like very much in their vision, is that flight simulation is a holistic experience. Flight dynamics,  aircraft systems, weather and relief have to be at the highest level reachable and intertwined as never before. 

As their project is very ambitious, they have to make compromises at first if we don’t want to wait two more years. We don’t. The no-season is a reasonable compromise. I don’t like it but it is reasonable.

• Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'll buy it.

Won't have seasons or a million other things I've had in FS9 for 16 years but it'll have a picture of my house I guess.

That is what the fuss is about isn't it?

I can tell all my family and friends Microsoft used a picture of my house in their new flight sim. Cool.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

Can you imagine the number of screen shots and videos that are going to be posted after the official release? We need an entirely new internet storage area just for MSFS 2020. If it looks anything like the trailers ( your mileage may vary depending on system spec's, me included ), and I for one believe it will look better in person, but I have no clue. I like to think that it is going to run on a wide range of current systems, cause they sim like they care about their customers. Will you get a trailer experience if you have dual 2080 Ti's, and i9, and 64 GB RAM? I would think so, but I also believe my system I just bought in April 2019 will be fine, and it's I would say a Medium at best, if that!

WARNING:

If you post screen shots of your own house, be careful, very careful. I understand there are people on that internet thingy that are up to NO good!

I am not sure if I am kidding or not. I'm not sure I will be posting screen shots of my house for the world to see! Than again maybe I'll be stupid and so excited I can't help it 🙂

But I will be posting screen shots of other peoples houses. I just won't know who they belong too 🙂

Man this is gonna be fun! Can't wait for the Discovery Cockpits on the 27th of this week. Please show as much detail as you can to us team! Maybe it will stop some of the speculation, of course it could increase it, but hope not!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

6 hours ago, fppilot said:

I am fully aware of the difference you pointed out.  Please read the lines in my signature. 

Did you not notice I said "real-time"?  How could snow be left out of real time?

I've read your signature but I'm not sure how 16GB RAM makes any difference?

3 hours ago, Claviateur said:

Yes this is exactly what simulation is and should be. But unfortunately some still live in the 80s/90s and insist that only flight dynamics are important in a simulator...

In my humble opinion, the single biggest factor for immersion is a fully enclosed cockpit. Then would come 6DOF motion. Both of those significantly ramp up the cost of a sim, too much for some people.

I too crave decent flight dynamics but I'd say they contribute to realism, not necessarily immersion, and I see those as two separate qualities.

We all have our own utopia for the perfect sim and that is all well and good. What I'm not yet fully understanding is that some seem to be taking the position that FS2020 will not be the perfect sim (quite rightly) and so they will not be moving to it and instead flying their current (and even more imperfect) sim. That's totally fine if in their mind FS2020 doesn't offer them enough to move, but to make such a bold statement before it's actually released or even feature complete is at best premature.

Personally I'm close to wanting to start building another full cockpit (revision 3 if you like) and the simulator itself mostly provides pretty scenery, weather and the flight model, which makes the timing of FS2020 bloody marvelous.

• Like 1

I'll just fly south for the winter.

Before, if you went to southern latitudes (except maybe Australia), you'd have bland textures and no VFR which would not make it fun. Now you'll be able to see real-life scenery.

• Like 2

I'm sure seasons will come along later. When you are trying to ship a product you sometimes need to cut things out of the release. They may just need more time to do seasons properly and they don't want to hold back what is already a very complex and ambitious product for something that's not a showstopper for most people.

Barry Friedman

I will purchase on day one and wait on the rest to come. I have faith. 

• Like 5

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

2 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Me too... 😊

• Like 2

Ken

6 hours ago, Max50 said:

Won't have seasons or a million other things I've had in FS9 for 16 years but it'll have a picture of my house I guess.

That is what the fuss is about isn't it?

I can tell all my family and friends Microsoft used a picture of my house in their new flight sim. Cool.

Every time you post utter drivel like this you insult EVERY person on this forum that sees far more than pretty pictures. You also insult the folk at Asobo who have been incredibly open about what they have already achieved and what they are aiming to deliver.

Any you know it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 188AHC said:

same here 😋

I am a bit surprised at this thread. Of course most avid flight simmers are still going to buy FS2020 on day one. In the grand scheme of things its only 60 or 70 dollars for possibly the most advanced piece of software ever made. 

The real point should be about its broader appeal and longer term success. I truly believe in an immersive simulated world that is supposed to essentially mimic real life, that seasons are extremely important. This is why games such as the Forza series have incredibly realistic seasons in them. Things start to get pretty dull when you are flying or driving in a constant summer. Especially when you have real world weather turned on and its snowing outside yet you are surrounded by lush green mountains or pastures. It simply breaks the immersion to the extent that things start to feel silly after a while.

Having being both an FSX simmer and in more recent years an X-Plane simmer, I can safely say that one of my pet peeves with X-Plane that drive me nuts is the lack of seasons. I currently live in Switzerland and we get stunning autumns and plenty of snow here. When I am flying over the likes of Sion or Zermatt in a snow storm, and I see permanent summer outside, it gets old fairly quick no matter what fancy scenery add-on I am using. Its the human subconcious brain saying 'this makes no sense' and the immersion simply breaks. 

Will I buy and greatly enjoy FS2020 with no seasons? Well of course because it looks amazing. Will after 1 year of flying I start to get a bit fed up of the fact that its constant summer? Probably.

The broader question is what about the long term general success. The more casual gamer will find it much more difficult to suspend their disbelief. I can just imagine a group of kids 'playing it' for the first time saying with excitement 'let's try flying in Aspen in the snow', only to be treated to a lush green Aspen. I am pretty sure in todays short term world and even shorter attention spans, the next sentence will be 'ah, thats not cool, no snow'.

Thats the reality folks, if MSFS 2020 is searching for broader, long lasting appeal, and therefore long term success, seasons play a central role as much as all the other impressive elements we are all excited for. Of course, we can wait a few months for it to come later but they said the same with X-Plane, and well...we are still flying permanent summer all these years later with many people still saying its the very reason they don't fly X-Plane.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steve310002 said:

Will I buy and greatly enjoy FS2020 with no seasons? Well of course because it looks amazing. Will after 1 year of flying I start to get a bit fed up of the fact that its constant summer? Probably.

Since global warming is supposedly going to cook the entire planet, FS2020 summer-only scenery may be the most realistic part of the sim.

• Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.