Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Other Flight Sim Forums in Denial

9 minutes ago, Jean-Jacques said:

Sorry for the duplication. Didn't seem to want to save, so I kept pushing the 'save' button! Impatient, slow web system, or old age! Take your pick, except for the third choice!

The Avsim site has been behaving poorly at my end, for some weeks now. I use Chrome/W10 and Safari/iOS13 which apparently don't allow multiple savings but the page often gets stuck during the save even if the message is posted. I open a new tab...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I don't think other flight sim forums are in denial, they are just not going overboard like a rabbit stuck in a cars headlights like some are they have probably been around flight sim for some years FSX was fantastic and was in line for multi core cpu support then someone pulled the plug. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, DaWu said:

There are two kind of people constantly hating even here in these forums against the new FS2020

- People who spend a lot of money on addons and cant accept that their investment is not worth anything in the future

- Small and unknown developers who are in fear they cant sell their word not allowed in the future cos the new sim blasted the need for these addons out of existence

I would really love MS to just deny them to obtain a copy of the new sim in the future and force them to stick to the old word not allowed forever 😄 At least thats what they wish for right now and try to convince everybody to

And the same haters are there whenever we criticize anything about either platform or addon.  Just ignore them. 

Jean-Jacques

CYND, Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Hey, someone else who is in my neck of the woods!

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

8 minutes ago, dal330200 said:

However, to say that the sim is on par with MSFS is the farthest thing from the truth.

Putting aside one moment the current facts that MSFS isn't released yet, wont have helicopters, and only "might" have VR (throwing XP and DCS way out in front for the foreseeable future)

By far the most important factor for me is MSFS is being targeted at XBOX hardware with a purported 40 times the performance of the current "state of the art".

If we are talking denial I place that firmly on anyone thinking they will get better than XP11 graphics (in fact any current sim) from MSFS on the hardware they currently own by the time MSFS is released. Its easy to see why simmers on 5 year old CPUs and GPUs are so excited for what MS has shown (or FS9 users on 15 year old hardware)  - and in no way diminishing the fact that its an exciting time - but exactly what things actually look like will depend more on the hardware in your home than the software you run on it - as has always been the case.

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, DaWu said:

People who spend a lot of money on addons and cant accept that their investment is not worth anything in the future

What on earth are you talking about?  All addons and past sims will still function the day FS2020 is released.  Everyone can still fly with what they paid for.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just let's remember before FSX was released, there was lots of hoopla about it.   MS developers were quite prevalent on these forums and everyone was super excited.

Then it was released and there were countless numbers of posts like this. ... and that was default

FSX was pretty shockingly bad on release.  It took about 2 years to right itself with help of the addon market and countless tweaks and fiddles

Just a bit of nostalgia while everyone is super pumped for the new sim in the hope that it is truly a sweet dream and not the Nightmare on Avsim Street 2006

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1

It's natural for folks to become defensive when they've invested a lot of time and money into something only to discover that soon it will be superseded by something far better.  This also manifests as denial, i.e. they convince themselves that they've made the right decisions and that this new, superior thing won't happen for various reasons, and then they feel better for a while.

It's actually a sad thing to witness, but most of us are susceptible to it to varying degrees.

Now, to be fair, there is indeed a small chance that the new MSFS could fail for some reason and never get released.  We've seen developers fail before, even Microsoft - remember MS Flight?  The chance is small enough, however, that I don't think it's worth considering.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Im expecting that a common complaint about the new sim will be 'blocky ground scenery'.

Its a digitized world and cannot be 100% perfect.  The 'blocks' in FSX were 1.2km square(sort of--landclass and mesh had different resolutions).  the new sim appears to have much higher resolution and Im sure people will complain.  Im sure many others will realize its just part of the game - the way it does what it does - hope it will get better but be thankful for all the good things.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

13 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

What on earth are you talking about?  All addons and past sims will still function the day FS2020 is released.  Everyone can still fly with what they paid for.

LOL good luck with that. Without an update, an update folks like PMDG will charge big money for, you wont fly anywhere

Lukas Dalton

3 minutes ago, DaWu said:

LOL good luck with that. Without an update, an update folks like PMDG will charge big money for, you wont fly anywhere

PMDG already said the uprade of their release of the 737 to FS will be free.

1 minute ago, dal330200 said:

PMDG already said the uprade of their release of the 737 to FS will be free.

Incorrect I have it you get $99 discount for the MSFS version full price possibly $149.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

Not so much hardware as bandwidth.  X-plane graphics are excellent, their problem is weather, lighting, lack of seasons, poorly rendered environment and a lot more.  If I remember correctly, when MSFS gave people a taste of what to expect, they didn't use NASA supercomputers, and most up-to-date systems should be able to handle the sim just fine.  Maybe upgrade the video card. 

Also, and I know a lot of people are going to argue about this, but I believe that this will be a sim that is optimized for Xbox.  PC first yes, but PC gaming isn't where the money's at.  It's console gaming because not everyone has thousands to spend on hardware.  Consequently, if it gets too cumbersome or pricey to run this on a PC, then run it on Xbox, for a fraction of the cost.  Once they develop good yokes, throttles and rudders for Xbox, it's a win-win.  I for one will be delighted to switch over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

I'm a little confused here. The person that made the video said he tried but you're saying he succeeded? The plane looks nice (still not as good) but the scenery and clouds do not compare.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

11 minutes ago, dal330200 said:

their problem is weather, lighting, lack of seasons, poorly rendered environment and a lot more. 

All these problems should be less than 12 months away from being fixed. (seasons is already)

That I am excited about, Laminar have delivered on every promise they have made for the two years since I bought it... MS, well... I'll not start that argument. Plenty of other posters commented on that already.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer