Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

VR is About to BLOW UP

Recommended Posts

Keeping my eyes open.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't watch it right now, anyone can quick explain what will blow up??? 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

I can't watch it right now, anyone can quick explain what will blow up??? 😅

Sales curves showing a sharp upward trend.


Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, thinking about it, That wouldn't be all that surprising. When we have family over, I've actually noticed that it's the kids and the women that are most likely to spend the most time with the VR headsets.

My experience says female children are the most mesmerised of all.

The experience below pretty much caused a little girl mini-riot

 

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Actually, thinking about it, That wouldn't be all that surprising. When we have family over, I've actually noticed that it's the kids and the women that are most likely to spend the most time with the VR headsets.

My experience says female children are the most mesmerised of all.

The experience below pretty much caused a little girl mini-riot

 

Yes, as one ages they lose the ability to be surprised or enjoy new things 😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hate having anything hanging off my head.  So until they have great VR glasses, I will still pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, my wife who is a complete luddite had a positive visceral reaction after I stuck her in the Captains seat of the 777 under protest, after she made the comment, "You look completely ridicules with that thing on your head!" 😂

Edited by Avidean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VR has been blown up...its just people who've been living under rocks who are catching up

  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

VR has been blown up...its just people who've been living under rocks who are catching up

Actually, you have to be living in a fantasy world to think it has been blowing up.  It's BARELY a $2B market cap, the top FIVE manufacturers combined couldn't even sell 1M units in Q4 last year.  Yes, there is projected growth over the next 5 years but you assessment of it "blowing up"  isn't backed by any data...

VR Headset Sales Drop Over 40% Compared to Last Year — Why?

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2020/01/31/vr-sales-2019-nielsen/

 

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psolk said:

Actually, you have to be living in a fantasy world to think it has been blowing up.  It's BARELY a $2B market cap, the top FIVE manufacturers combined couldn't even sell 1M units in Q4 last year.  Yes, there is projected growth over the next 5 years but you assessment of it "blowing up"  isn't backed by any data...

VR Headset Sales Drop Over 40% Compared to Last Year — Why?

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2020/01/31/vr-sales-2019-nielsen/

 

Incomplete data: (PC) VR headset sales did shrink slightly year-over year I believe about 8%, but that was pretty much negated by the explosion of oculus quest (Non-PC) headset sales wich managed to raise actual Vr revenues by 41% compared to 2018.

Sales of new headsets like the quest were actually double that of PC-only Vr headsets year over year, though it should be noted that the quest can also be connected to a pc, so it's kind of a trojan horse.

2019 was also a fairly quiet year for blockbuster vr games, with the big, sales-creating titles like Asgards Wrath, Stormlands, Boneworks, etc only showing up for christmas. 2020 should see a much larger ramp earlier in the cycle as people prepare for Half-Life, Lone Echo 2, Medal of Honor and other anticipated titles some of which, for the first time will be VR exclusives. Simultaneously, Oculus is working to create additional first-party studios to rival the big dogs like Sony.

Edited by HiFlyer

Just Flight Beta Tester
 
We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.
 
Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Incomplete data: (PC) VR headset sales did shrink slightly year-over year I believe about 8%, but that was pretty much negated by the explosion of oculus quest (Non-PC) headset sales wich managed to raise actual Vr revenues by 41% compared to 2018.

Sales of new headsets like the quest were actually double that of PC-only Vr headsets year over year, though it should be noted that the quest can also be connected to a pc, so it's kind of a trojan horse.

2019 was also a fairly quiet year for blockbuster vr games, with the big, sales-creating titles like Asgards Wrath, Stormlands, Boneworks, etc only showing up for christmas. 2020 should see a much larger ramp earlier in the cycle as people prepare for Half-Life, Lone Echo 2, Medal of Honor and other anticipated titles some of which, for the first time will be VR exclusives. Simultaneously, Oculus is working to create additional first-party studios to rival the big dogs like Sony.

I didn't even read that post...I knew better😂

Pretty soon my ignore list will be 99% of AVSIM at this rate of outright misinformation and false data 

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

outright misinformation and false data

Welcome to the Internet, Social media and Main Stream Media.  We can't find the truth any more if it slapped us in the face.  What's even worse, the people that don't even care about truth any more!!!

  • Like 1

Regards,

 

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Incomplete data: (PC) VR headset sales did shrink slightly year-over year I believe about 8%, but that was pretty much negated by the explosion of oculus quest (Non-PC) headset sales wich managed to raise actual Vr revenues by 41% compared to 2018.

Sales of new headsets like the quest were actually double that of PC-only Vr headsets year over year, though it should be noted that the quest can also be connected to a pc, so it's kind of a trojan horse.

2019 was also a fairly quiet year for blockbuster vr games, with the big, sales-creating titles like Asgards Wrath, Stormlands, Boneworks, etc only showing up for christmas. 2020 should see a much larger ramp earlier in the cycle as people prepare for Half-Life, Lone Echo 2, Medal of Honor and other anticipated titles some of which, for the first time will be VR exclusives. Simultaneously, Oculus is working to create additional first-party studios to rival the big dogs like Sony.

There is no doubt the growth is coming and stand alone system sales are up (because there is no comparative data) but it is still at a sub $10Bn market cap, I said $2Bn earlier, I meant $2Bn/quarter apologies for misspeaking.   Projected to grow by 10x over 6 years.  We aren't at a mass insertion point yet, we are at exponential growth because when you start from nothing that is to be expected.  I've seen lots of things with huge projections that never came to fruition.  Just look at the Cannabis market in Canada as the most recent example.  By the time we have a $100Bn market the VR units of today will remind us of the suitcase cell phones of the 90's.  Personally I think AR will exceed VR.  I would and have been putting my $$ in AR which shows a higher growth return and offers more mainstream implementation possibilities.  

@Bluefly feel free to put me on ignore.  If you feel you are better informed than 99% of Avsim why bother engaging in discourse?  

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    50%
    $12,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...