Sign in to follow this  
simtom

March 5th, 2020 – Development Update

3 hours ago, Claviateur said:

But then I heard the experts speak so many times about the difference between a simulation oriented world engines and game engines as the same questions emerged now and then (why simulators can not imitate games). If that was technically possible while computing what they need to compute and make the hardware digest and display at a given framr rate, they would have done it to attract more people.

But the answer was always in the amount computing required to simulate things and not animate things.

So I leave this to people who are experts in engine development.

Maybe today, with parallel processing / many core cpu's, "game-esque" simulations can become a reality.  Perhaps the engine devs could comment to that point better than I can.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

16 hours ago, Murmur said:

Hopefully the "big things coming on the horizon" will require the use of some wearable devices... 😁

yep, you will be able to use your Smartwatch as an Altimeter 😄

12 hours ago, aleex said:

Thanks for the hu  Aleex. Looking at the answers to this tweet, it looks like a  flop. Honestly, if MSobo is true to his commitment to hardcore simmers, they could do better than that. Rather sloppy business to announce the 748 if you ask me. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

One of the MSFS devs said most "normal" AAA games are much more complex than flight sims and since he works for a studio that has put out award winning AAA games, I'll take his word for it.

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

44 minutes ago, Krakin said:

One of the MSFS devs said most "normal" AAA games are much more complex than flight sims and since he works for a studio that has put out award winning AAA games, I'll take his word for it.

Yeah, just take Red Dead Redemption 2 as example (or any large scale RPG like Skyrim or Fallout). The amount of dialogue, story choices and gameplay mechanics must be immense. To put it quite bluntly: a flight sim is "just" simulating an aircraft, its systems and realistic weather (of course, you have AI traffic, ATC and so on but you get what I'm saying).

• Like 1

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

1 hour ago, simtom said:

Yeah, just take Red Dead Redemption 2 as example (or any large scale RPG like Skyrim or Fallout). The amount of dialogue, story choices and gameplay mechanics must be immense. To put it quite bluntly: a flight sim is "just" simulating an aircraft, its systems and realistic weather (of course, you have AI traffic, ATC and so on but you get what I'm saying).

That gives me "an addon is more complex than a real aircraft" flashbacks. 😄

The tasks of creating a flight sim sure are different ones than on a normal game. I'm not sure it is more or less complex.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

The server picture on Discord now has a 747 photoshopped in as well.

BI6Mnvp.jpg

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Big things on the horizon...

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, tweekz said:

Big things on the horizon...

What do you mean exactly?

2 minutes ago, Usvart said:

What do you mean exactly?

Like @pmb already mentioned on the other page - seems like some update regarding airliners is about to come soon.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

6 hours ago, Krakin said:

One of the MSFS devs said most "normal" AAA games are much more complex than flight sims

Do you have a source for that?  I wonder in what way he meant more complex.  

And most AAA games are not as complex as Skyrim, or Red Dead Redemption.  I wonder how it compares to A Plague Tale.  https://store.steampowered.com/app/752590/A_Plague_Tale_Innocence/

3 hours ago, tweekz said:

Like @pmb already mentioned on the other page - seems like some update regarding airliners is about to come soon.

I wonder if the big news will be announced before the normal Thursday updates?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:39 PM, Krakin said:

People are really worried about the DOF in the waves photo? Guys if that's the case, please remember it's 2020 and photo modes are a thing lol.

DOF or no DOF ( i haven't the blurriest idea what that means...) this particular screenie was standing out to me like a sore thumb because it's the crappiest picture in between the truckload of all amazing and mouthwatering MSFS screenshots i have seen so far. Just about all of these MSFS screenshots are hard to distinguish between realworld photo's. This particular 'RC  Caravan against blurry seascape' screenie certainly cannot be mistaken for a realworld photo. 

And also 2020 or not 2020, looks very much like these so called 'photo modes' certainly are not MY thing.. 😉

Edited by Javiz
  • Upvote 2

Jan

On 3/6/2020 at 4:42 PM, nikita said:

Eh, for many people in this forum X-Plane and P3D are the only experience they've ever had with anything remotely resembling a videogame, i'm not surprised they're completely out of the loop with modern features and standards. We just need to bring them up to speed occasionally.

Nah, not needed. Same old pathetic and boring kill everything that comes into view enterprise like Doom was about 30 years ago. Just watched a clip of Red Dead II, as some are mentioning it here in this topic. This cowboy guy kills 10 other cowboy guys during the 10 minute clip. That's 1 kill per minute. I suppose that's quite moderate compared to the seemingly never ending stream of the same old blood, gore and war offerings. It does look quite amazing, sure. 

At the same year Doom was released the franchise 'Myst' came to my computer. I can only hope Myst and all of its sequels might be re-released someday in glorious 'modern features and standards'. It will certainly be next to MSFS i'll be waiting for passionately. All these other so called games i can really do without ( i love Transport Fever1 and 2, makes use of such a 'game engine' too, so i am not that much out of the loop  ;-))     

• Upvote 2

Jan