Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

If LM are going to charge $$ for an 'upgrade' to v5, it'd better be something great....considering the competitive landscape.  Flight Sims are getting better all the time.  I (like most of you) have a massive investment in FS addons, but I would not be happy about paying for yet another makeover to the ancient FS engine.  Regardless, I am really looking forward to see what is coming in both P3Dv5 & FS20....should be good !!  

best, 

• Like 1

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Can you explain why the development of these simulators should be free of charge and how you would "monetise ☹️" them in that event? I do find it a bit odd that without a shred of evidence about what might be included in an update, it is still perceived as credible to launch an attack on it.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, joby33y said:

If LM are going to charge $$ for an 'upgrade' to v5, it'd better be something great....considering the competitive landscape.  Flight Sims are getting better all the time.  I (like most of you) have a massive investment in FS addons, but I would not be happy about paying for yet another makeover to the ancient FS engine.  Regardless, I am really looking forward to see what is coming in both P3Dv5 & FS20....should be good !!  

best, 

MSFS is based on legacy FSX according to Asobo they did not throw it away. No need to according to them.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I thought P3D was based on ESP, not FSX. That would explain why the same bugs have existed in all versions for over 13 years.

Like the stutters as the Prime Meridian is crossed shortly after taking off from Rwy 28 at EGLC, stars visible when the sun is still above the horizon and both ends of a runway having to be either closed or open with mixing not having any effect.

That last bug was finally fixed in P3D v4.5. Hopefully the rest will be fixed in v5 plus some work on Ai with separation on approach improved plus landing, braking and exit runway behaviour improved.

For those I would be happy to pay the same price for a major release but if they aren’t then it will be a more difficult decision.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am ready to pay a second time for a photorealistic environment.

• Like 2

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

18 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Do you have a list of these companies that forced you? 

Sorry I didn't mean forced, I mean paying for example PMDG £100+ for basically the same aircraft for p3d v4.

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

9 minutes ago, ols500 said:

Sorry I didn't mean forced, I mean paying for example PMDG £100+ for basically the same aircraft for p3d v4.

The change for developing from FSX to P3D VX is very significant. Specially on study level addons.

Same thing happened from V3 to V4.1.

The changes are so significant that thousands of hours of development are required for products to be ported over. 

That is why they charged.

Would you work for free?  The analogy would be that your boss ask you tomorrow to change a document you provided last year and since it is an update to a previous document you would not get paid for the time you invest to do the work despite of how much time you need to invest on it.

Try to see things from a different perspective.

Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

Is the quality the same?

Multi-colored squares spoil the flight.

1ihk9x.jpg

You’ll have to try it yourself. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Honestly I am skeptic about P3D v5. Many of us would prefer to wait to MSFS 2020. Many of us know, the core of the P3D is that ancient FSX. I mean even in P3Dv4, LM didn't update any of the default airports, exactly the same as FSX. Not to forget the pain of managing P3D installation, another thing I am wondering when v5 beta goes out, how easy can migrate and test the add-ons. In XP11.50, it was so easy just matter of copy and paste sceneries/aircraft to the new beta installation. 

I hope Microsoft will bring us finally what we were looking for, from what I see MS understood the importance of the community and I am sure they will bring us finally a decent simulation. 

You raise some decent points, but it's best to wait and see what major improvements LM bring with V5.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

So with Dx12, does that mean it will finally get rid of the core0 bottleneck or am I dreaming?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, him225 said:

So with Dx12, does that mean it will finally get rid of the core0 bottleneck or am I dreaming?

There will be one thread to rule them all !!!

The Master Control Thread... MCT RULES !!

Personally I'm hoping for two things.

1), Improved frame rates where Core0 is not maxed out (essentually when there is a ton of available CPU resources P3D is not utilising towards increasing the FPS).

2), The handling of 3D objects is way better because turning down scenery complexity in order to get the frame rate up means in a lot of cases there is not much to see what with the subsequent lack of custom buildings/objects and lack of décor (so to speak).

v5 would have always been planned as DX12, what with Windows 10 being the current MS O/S for the masses now the previous masses OS (win7) has dropped by the wayside.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

20 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Well i've noticed on my new PC that turning on AutoSave in FSUIPC gives me regular pauses. Turned off and no more pauses. Haven't made any tweaks to the sim or the CPU cores. Just  a reminder of this old issue.

I should remind you, then, that if these are noticeable it is usually because you are using a sophisticated add-on aircraft like those from PMDG and FSL, which actually freeze the sim whilst assembling and writing the files they use to record the complete state of the cockpit and systems.

The only part FSUIPC's Autosave plays is sending the request to SimConnect to save a flight.  That's the same function you can operate by the ; key (unless reassigned). FSUIPC is just saving you entering the name for the saved flight and removing the oldest saved file.

There is no way of performing an Autosave without saving data to disk. That's what it is!

Pete

• Like 2

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I thought P3D was based on ESP, not FSX.

It was, but ESP is in any case basically FSX SP2. It's main difference was the commercial use EULA. FSX was strictly for non-commercial use.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

I should remind you, then, that if these are noticeable it is usually because you are using a sophisticated add-on aircraft like those from PMDG and FSL, which actually freeze the sim whilst assembling and writing the files they use to record the complete state of the cockpit and systems.

There is no way of performing an Autosave without saving data to disk. That's what it is!

Pete

Pete, I'm currently flying FS Labs Concorde across the pond back to London and watched very carefully when the autosave process was due to run. I noticed a very brief single pause of perhaps a quarter of a second whilst the autosave performed it actions in saving the state of the many switches in this aircraft.

Certainly nothing I could have noticed without watching carefully. So even with a complex aircraft the process is incredibly quick. And this is with P3D v3.4 - a 32-bit sim. I don't notice any degredation in v4 either with the PMDG737-800.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather