Sign in to follow this  
Purr

New P3D v5 trailer

3 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

I can't imagine that there are many people who are going to buy a rather mediocre P3D improvement and to pay again for updated old addons. 

I am not charging for updates.. and if you were on the BETA and saw the amount of developers participating under V5 would not be writing such a rude comment..

I don't understand how you can call mediocre improvement moving to DX12. Clearly you don't understand the amount of work it takes to change the rendering technology of a product.

S.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinfirth said:

what are the new engine's capabilities and what cool new things can we possibly look forward to?

Super realistic avionics for a start.. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Are the beta testers allowed to tell about performance compared to V4 ?

And what do they think of the improved weather/water/environment?

Simbol ? 🤓

Performance testing is not my "forte", I helped LM in many other ways, for example issues with the SDK, asking new functionality for weather and for the SDK, reporting issues, anomalies in the rendering, etc.

There are other devs out there that are better to ask this question. What I can tell you is that with the same hardware I see a slight improvement on performance but much better visuals.

S.

10 minutes ago, simbol said:

I don't understand how you can call mediocre improvement moving to DX12. 

Mediocre because I'm referring to the most important part of any FLIGHT simulator as well, the FLIGHT model (which you left out in your quote).

There are zero improvements in this area. Still the ancient FSX FDE with all its basic bugs.

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I ask myself the question of the rationality of new costs.

Now I set up the simulator and enjoy it. But saving up money for a new MSFS.

Is it rational to spend money on updating airports and airplanes in v5?

Would it double my financial burden? Just a matter of budget.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

10 hours ago, DrumsArt said:

Release Notes

Look very interesting, actually. I especially like the trueSky integration and updated lighting engine. Thank you, Lockheed!

IMHO, there's a lot of new additions to this - not least of which DX12 integration. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing the changes, @DrumsArt

I wonder when it'll be released and what the backwards-compatibility is? 

Edited by anden145

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

17 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Mediocre because I'm referring to the most important part of any FLIGHT simulator as well, the FLIGHT model (which you left out in your quote).

There are zero improvements in this area. Still the ancient FSX FDE with all its basic bugs.

V5 Prepar3D SDK 

New Features

• Airports can now be created with sloping runways.
  • Distance remaining signs can now be generated for runways.
  • Updated SDK samples to Visual Studio 2019 and .NET 4.8.
  • Added enhanced engine extensibility features for SimObjects.
  • Added ability to define always on mapping for key events defined in gauge xml trigger events.
  • Added new intensity value in lumens to PBR light effects.
  • Added airport background flatten options to control altitude transition with surrounding terrain.

Each developer can improve the flight model for their add-on's as their wish. This not only ensures backwards compatibility with almost everything but also give you as developer the power to code custom behaviors and make the flying model as accurate as posible you want.

P3D has always offered this option since V4- now much more improved in V5, but it looks like everyone seems to have a hype for MS Flight Models without even having the chance to try them for themselves.. 

S.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

I like how people go on talking about DX12 like it was a game breaking feature, but it isn't.
MSFS, which currently is not DX12 (yet), shows that it isn't the DX version the limiting factor in better graphics, performance and flight dynamics.

As for officially P3D screens, do we want to talk about how ugly the sun is (a small ball in the sky without lens flare or any kind of effect to it) and how the clouds are overexposed compared to the ground lighting?

I think LM tried to do something, but too late. The shift is happening and will continue to happen.

Edited by Pastaiolo
  • Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

17 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

I do not agree with you. Here I am using Prosim and it really feels very realistic.

Professional Prosim cockpits are certified so there must be something not that bad with the P3D flight model.

If you want the real flight model get your pilot licenses and fly in a real plane or buy a multi billion Level D simulator ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Really sorry to say this but devs who are still planning to rip off people will surely try to convince them that v5 is a better sim than msfs. Afterall they would want to sell those grass and trees textures for 30$ for v5 which won't even come close to what we have in msfs. I can already see an agenda brewing. 

I am genuinely excited for V5 and would surely keep an eye on it but right now I see absolutely no reason to choose it over msfs. 

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

I am hugely excited for V5.  It delivers (almost ) everything we have always asked for. Particularly happy about Truesky integration.

However, if they were bothering to do a showcase video at all, they should have put considerably more effort into it.  That was a very lacklustre attempt at showcasing some pretty awesome features.   It did very little to impress.  But the new feature list and SDK enhancements do make this a very exciting release.

I hope that all of our favourite developers tell us during the next week they are 'release ready' for next week with updates, considering that LM run a much more inclusive partnership.

I hope they make the effort to update at all and dont all hold out for MSFS.  But I suspect many would be charging a fee to upgrade their products for V5

There has never been a better time to be forced to stay at home.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

An early video: 

Rob, how are the ground textures ? Improved too ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

A few questions to the testers:

Is there stiill that unfortunate parallel use of add-on.xml and scenery.cfg add-on installations or did they finally settle on one of the two?

Are add-ons to be installed within the sim our outside or both according to the SDK?

Are configuration files still spread all over the system with same name duplicates in different directories?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Interesting reaction... there was a lot of excitement over 2->3, and 3->4, but v5 seems to have a rather lacklustre response.. In reality, they've added a lot of things to the sim that would normally have caused huge excitement here on Avsim had it been announced this time last year.... Is this the MFS effect?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, tonywob said:

In reality, they've added a lot of things to the sim that would normally have caused huge excitement here on Avsim had it been announced this time last year.... Is this the MFS effect?

Agree, it''s a mixed bag of responses.  MSFS effect for sure.  People are now of the impression that they're getting toast with butter and jam all for free with MSFS - all the features announced here plus more.  The question however is when?  MSFS is still in Alpha.  It's a long way off to opening that jam pot.

For the type of flying I like to do, V5 is a huge improvement.  No more horrible 2D sprite clouds, no more odd cloud lighting, hopefully a better sensation of speed when passing clouds, and overall, much better performance.

I'm not prepared (unintentional) to wait for MSFS to get those improvements.  It may not ultimately deliver, and there is no telling how long the likes of PMDG or FSLabs will take to be product ready after MS releases.  By history , a very long time.  

This fills a huge gap - I would say for AT LEAST the next 18 months.   

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1