Sign in to follow this  
Purr

New P3D v5 trailer

I'm having a real hard time to grasp the hostility and dualistic approach to this announcement. Why do you have to you either MSFS or Prepar3D V5?! Why can one use both - or use/try Prepar3D V5 now, while we await and see what Microsoft/Asobo has to offer? You can even (and I know this sounds completely ludicrous) use both sims. 😮

I actually find the new features and innovations of Prepar3D V5 quite interesting. But I guess, people always find something to complaint about... It was the same discussion, when Prepar3D v4 was announced (and when Prepar3D v3 also...)

Sorry for spoiling the mood, gents.

I just can't help wondering...

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

For the record, I will not be jumping on the v5 bandwagon until the dust has settled. P3Dv4 is working beautifully on my new PC, so I do not want to rock the boat just yet.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ok,

I am going to chip in my comments here after reading 12 pages of comments so far and reading that last post extract from FSDT crystalizes a few things for me.

Comparing P3DV5 to XP11 Vulkan and MSFS shows there is a commonality to these companies and what they are doing longer term. 

1. The choice of moving to new rendering API is significant and worthy of a new release IMHO. Laminar are doing it as the basis of X Plane 12, where they too will be moving towards better cloud, water, lighting and terrain rendering. Look at the latest video by Austin Myer on Youtube where he specifically mentions this. Essentially XP11 V11.50 Beta is a testing ground to break in their new rendering pipeline. They are using Vulkan to ensure a future where they can render VR smoothly. Its a prime driver for them to execute on their other future plans (on platforms such as Linux and full-fidelity Miltary training simulators) as their existing OGL driver was over 10 years old and doesnt cut it anymore!

2. MSFS is also going to transition to DX12 in the future. I am an alpha tester and whilst I cant talk about any specifics or answer any questions due to the NDA, I will say there are many things to sort out before its ready for Beta, let alone release. It is a good time away yet. What I can say with regards to it using DX11 is that it will be ported over to using DX12 Ultimate at some point so it can be released on the new Xbox Series X. That is already commonly known. What people are forgetting is that MSFS is a truly fresh flightsim platform with many new technologies being combined not seen previously in a flightsim. It needs time to get it ready for the mass market because it is hugely ambitious.

3. P3DV5 compared to XP11 and MSFS then makes sense - backward compatability is the #1 consideration in my opinion for a major release with a new API. Getting all the existing P3D add-ons to run with the new rendering API is key. Then a successive release of a future P3D V5.X will bring bring in additional DX12 features when the developers have had time to get to grips with DX12. That makes sense to me. The FSDT post above essentially states that as well. 

The common thread is that all 3 platforms become viable platforms for the future with these modern APIs.

The whole PC market has been moving progressively to increased core count CPUs and massive memory (11GB and upwards) video cards with hardware ray tracing and many other modern programming techniques already mentioned.

So it is not a matter of Laminar putting "lipstick on a pig" with V5 as some have unkindly said, it is doing this to survive and set itself up for the future. Well done Laminar. I will be purchasing day one! 

Also, What a time for many of us to be home and being able to spend the time to get to know our P3D again. I am very excited!

George "Beredirr" Jansen

PS: Laminar is you are reading - get someone professional to do your promotional videos - a minute of generic pictures with no real explanation doesn't cut it in 2020! 

PSS: Doesn't anyone find it odd we are all at home doing virtual flight simming in record numbers and the real world of flight is now dormant. Interesting times! 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Beredirr, you accidentally said Laminar a few times where you meant LM

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, anden145 said:

I'm having a real hard time to grasp the hostility and dualistic approach to this announcement. Why do you have to you either MSFS or Prepar3D V5?! Why can one use both - or use/try Prepar3D V5 now, while we await and see what Microsoft/Asobo has to offer? You can even (and I know this sounds completely ludicrous) use both sims. 😮

I actually find the new features and innovations of Prepar3D V5 quite interesting. But I guess, people always find something to complaint about... It was the same discussion, when Prepar3D v4 was announced (and when Prepar3D v3 also...)

Sorry for spoiling the mood, gents.

I just can't help wondering...

True words Anders, true words...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

One of the more interesting things about DX12 is the supposed better use of resources.  With V4 with hyperthreading enabled, the sim seamed to "trip" on itself when trying to use the "extra cores" and seemed very stutter.  If DX12/V5 makes better use of hyperthreading and a smoother experience with more eye candy then that is definitely worth it in my opinion.  Would be interested in any feedback from those that have had experience with V5 so far along these lines

Seeing how fast developers react to P3D v5, I am uninstalling all my add-ons and P3D v4.5. Bye bye DX11

I will fly X-Plane and DCS in the meantime. 

• Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

4 hours ago, tonywob said:

Interesting reaction... there was a lot of excitement over 2->3, and 3->4, but v5 seems to have a rather lacklustre response.. In reality, they've added a lot of things to the sim that would normally have caused huge excitement here on Avsim had it been announced this time last year.... Is this the MFS effect?

Of course it is. But some of the response is also because deep down, "improvements" like DX12 and Vulkan  provide only modest benefits to most users. There's still no substitute for shelling out cash in exchange for brand new hardware. I don't think that the the typical member of the AVSim community relishes the idea of buying a new computer, a new sim and then paying for upgrading add-ons, let alone buying three sims and add-ons.

I'm not a beta tester for LM, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Further, I suspect that although developers like ORBX and others would like to charge for upgrades, some of their V4 apps may already work correctly in V5. I doubt that ORBX would create incompatibilities with the new version by borking ORBX Central. What I mean by that is that a licence holder of a V4 add-on would be blocked from installing that add-on into V5, even though it would theoretically function correctly in the new version. But one never knows, considering that MSFS has all the legacy sim companies running scared. For all I know, we might see a shift to the annual subscription model for add-ons.

7 minutes ago, ComSimPilot said:

Seeing how fast developers react to P3D v5, I am uninstalling all my add-ons and P3D v4.5. Bye bye DX11

I will fly X-Plane and DCS in the meantime. 

Seems a bit drastic...

Yeah, razor straight coast lines, what an upgrade. This emperor has few new clothes. 

59 minutes ago, anden145 said:

You can even (and I know this sounds completely ludicrous) use both sims. 😮

You can also use all the sims.  😮 The thing is, at least for me, and probably for some others also, my financial means are not unlimited. I have to decide either to have one pimped up sim or two sims with half of the stuff.  I'd rather have one with all the stuff. The only way I'll use both, at least at first, would be if the current v4 addons will be ported to v5 for free or with minimal cost. In that case I will happily try what v5 has to offer and when MSFS2020 is released I'll evaluate both sims and probably pick one to go forward.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Matthew James de Bohun said:

Really underwhelming trailer that doesn't do much to showcase the features at all.

Better performance and sloped runways would be great but if I have to rebuy stuff in full all over again then it'll be hard to justify when I know MSFS2020 is lurking out there!!

For which you'll probably have to rebuy stuff all over again.

ngxu_banner.png

22 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Yeah, razor straight coast lines, what an upgrade. This emperor has few new clothes. 

Where?

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

Where?

Instanbul.png

Downtown-scaled.jpg

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Also the prices have to be taken into account. If I am correct MSFS is a monthly subscription of € 9,95 ( don’t know if there will be a onetime payment too )  P3Dv5 we do not know yet, but earlier version were € 199 once.

FS20 : 10 bucks/month  is for the Gamepass which also brings with it  tens of other games. And MS has clearly stated that the FS20 could be bought as a standalone for an yet unidentified price.

P3D4 is not 199 USD only as you can have it for 60 bucks at the price of a petty watermark on the top right of your screen.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam