Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Boy, am I having 2nd thoughts!

I couldn't wait for P3d v5, and I bought it YESTERDAY!  I finally got it after trying for several hours to download it.  I have NOT installed it as of yet (Wednesday, 1:08pm Eastern time)!

I'm having 2nd thoughts when I read many comments on this forum:

• Many say it stutters, and the performance is not all that good
  • Many say that the brightness and colors do not look realistic
  • Many say that the return of OOM's are present
  • Many say that there are not sufficient updates to many favorite sceneries, or programs
  • Many say the water and sky aren't all that impressive

Is there a weather program that is reliable like Active Sky?  What is currently used for accurate weather in P3d version 5.

I just did a flight in P3d 4.5...just a short one from Palm Springs (KPSP) to John Wayne (KSNA) and it was absolutely beautiful with exact weather and smooth performance.  It seems by what I read on this forum that P3d v5 is not ready for "prime time".

Really keeping track of the 14 day return policy, and unless something changes, I may not even install P3d v5. The $200+price tag is absolutely justifiable if you get a program that lives up to its promises and provides customer satisfaction.  But $200+ is VERY EXPENSIVE when it causes such negative feedback.

I hope it improves in the days to come with whatever it takes to make it so.

Stan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guess I am in the minority here. After sexxing the sim up I am absolutely blown away by the new clouds and fluidity of the sim. Sure there are some problem areas, but IMHO v5 is a significant step up over previous 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kand said:

Guess I am in the minority here. After sexxing the sim up I am absolutely blown away by the new clouds and fluidity of the sim. Sure there are some problem areas, but IMHO v5 is a significant step up over previous 

Hope I keep hearing that.

Stan

• Like 1

My performance thus far is very good.  No VRAM CTDs

I wouldn't place too much faith in people's initial shouts and screams.  Everyone is overly emotional and really haven't had enough time to properly evaluate or set their sim up optimally.  As usual, some people are shoving everything in, slamming sliders to the right, probably installing some stuff that are not yet compatible officially and then crying about bad experiences.  This happens every time.   

My initial impressions are that it isn't perfect yet, but it is a great base for addons to make it truly shine.

• Like 8

Yes there are problem area's that need to be sorted out, I see them as well. As a whole however, it's a needed jump in the right direction, the higher quality mesh and performance gain is worth it on it's -own-

If you don't like the new clouds/atmospherics, they can be turned off completely, even then you are still left with the nice performance gain. Not to mention because of the performance gain, you can crank your settings beyond what you would ever be able to do it v4.5, which yields a nicely filled landscape. 

Edited by CaptainIronside
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, spilok said:

Hope I keep hearing that.

Stan

TruSky looks great but you’re going to have to turn it off anyway once you have a  full stack of addons if you’re using a card with 8gb vram.

Just now, Chapstick said:

TruSky looks great but you’re going to have to turn it off anyway once you have a  full stack of addons if you’re using a card with 8gb vram.

Agree, I think 11GB VRAM is recommended

29 minutes ago, spilok said:

Is there a weather program that is reliable like Active Sky?  What is currently used for accurate weather in P3d version 5.

I'm sure they will update ActiveSky within a short time, at least they always have.

And as for your 4.5 install, why not leave it?  You said you had a great flight, so I see no point in getting rid of that, at least not at the present time.  Maybe in a few months once things are updated for v5...

In my opinion people are moving too fast.  Given the new atmospherics, and new DX12, and their possible performance impact or mem usage, wouldn't it be wise to run a vanilla sim for a few days, at least until you could figure out the effect of various settings on your hardware?   That's not what I saw last night...instead, people are already loading up things that aren't even officially supported yet, and then you hear x y and z aren't working or aren't working well.    It'll be all right.  It will just take a little time to shake out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

30 minutes ago, kand said:

Am I the only one pointing out he is sexxing his sim... One of the strangest quarantine effects I have heard of to date!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Stan,

Just try it! Half of these people are crazy. 😉

Let us know how it goes. If it works for you I might buy it because I know that you are mostly sane.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

23 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I think 11GB VRAM is recommended

It's not, and that would be unreasonable, and show very poor optimisation, considering the amount of VRAM most users have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kand said:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I am blown away by the new atmospherics, Truesky clouds and Orbx combo. Can`t understand all the negativity here... 

• Like 4

Matej Stavanja

52 minutes ago, spilok said:

Many say the water and sky aren't all that impressive

Already on their web site.....

52 minutes ago, spilok said:

I'm having 2nd thoughts when I read many comments on this forum:

Install....add everything one by one and see...For me what I am reading it is good but obviously once we have all installers for all add-ons...Than we can have clear picture. Everyone reports increase in smoothness....And stutters you can adjust.....

• Like 2

Alex 

OK.  Thanks for the comments.  I'll put p3d v5 on my brand new NVMe Samsung 970 card.  I got it today from Amazon.  I'll install the card and put the new program there. I'll keep v4.5 on my regular SSD where's it has been since installation.  I'll delete 4.5 when 5.0 is where I think it should be (after updates and addon updates).

Thanks again.  Keep the comments coming.

Stan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Please keep things in perspective. To expect every add-on to work on day 1 is unrealistic and unreasonable. P3D v5 has been out for just over 24 hours now. I am blown away at the level of performance gained from P3D v5. There seems to be a lot more overhead room available to the CPU. I've loaded up all of my favorite ORBX addons, cranked the sliders to the right and can happily fly around with 60% cpu utilization, and a rock solid 30 fps locked. LOCKED! I have NEVER, EVER been able to lock the frame rate at 30 and actually have it stay there. Unlocked I can easily hit 60 FPS. I have no idea whats going to happen when I load up a PMDG or FSLabs aircraft but I'm hoping for the best.

My flight sim rig is getting pretty old. I'm running an Intel 4960x cpu with 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a TITAN X (Maxwell) graphics card. This CPU is 5 or 6 generations old now and P3D v5 has given this PC new life. I say good job to the Lockheed developers. They did an outstanding work on v5. I look forward to what they are going to do next. 

I also want to mention I do notice a small boost in performance if I turn hyper threading off. Also it looks like P3D v5 does not support SLI but with the performance gained, I don't need it any more anyways.      

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48".