Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Boy, am I having 2nd thoughts!

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

If you have the Crimson Software installed remove it. If this doesn't work try to use the MS drivers instead of the AMD drivers (delete any AMD software from programs and settings and restart).

AMD GPU software handling is dreadful.. I always remove it because most of the time give me issues with these cards, so personally I always stay away from AMD cards.

S.

I don't think I have Crimson installed. I just have the vanilla Radeon drivers installed, I've tried fresh windows installs with 20.2.2 (WHQL) and 20.4.1 both totally clean/fresh installs on clean windows install.  I'll have to try and see if I can get just a MS driver, but a driver didn't load automatically with the win10 install or with windows updates. I'll see if I can force something via windows updates maybe?  Thanks for the tip - I appreciate it!

I know that there's a lot of NVidia hype around these parts, but when I built the machine last year, I did a side-by-side with my other gaming PC which has an RTX2070S and the AMD card performed better in both clouds and with dynamic lighting, which is why I stuck with it...and it was/is fabulous in v4.5.  Hopefully this is now on LM's radar and will be addressed in due time.

• Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

Stan, I believe you are the “Avsimmer most likely to do a complete 180 in the course of a page of posts”. 🙂

(I am also thinking back to your “You will LOVE microsoft flight!” post. Yes, I have a good memory for these things!)

Enjoy v5, it’ll give us all some headaches along the way, but i’m confident that it’s worth it.

Cheers, snd happy v5-ing.

Rob

I admire you for your memory.

Stan

Last time I flew in P3D was v4.3, and with full blown add-ons and flying in 4K my fps ranged from 6-25fps. My fps was on the lower end of the spectrum when sitting at the airport and then slowly gaining fps as I take off and depart away and then of course slowly going back down near arrival... so it's safe to say, in a worst case scenario I would see my fps down in the single digits. I'm really hoping with the shift to DX12 that I will be able to at least get 20-30fps with the settings I had in P3D v4.3 if not higher, with all my add-ons.

The add-ons that I used in my previous setup was fs2crew, pmdg 737/777/747, fslabs a320, ActiveSky, REX, GSX, 3rd party airports, OrbX Global, OrbX Vector, OrbX LC, OrbX Regions, OrbX True Earth, Chaseplane, Avlasoft EFB, PFPX, AI Traffic, AI Ships, FSTramp, Pro-ATC, and possibly others that I can't remember. But if I can run P3D v5 with the same amount of add-ons within those fps range, I would be extremely happy.

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

What I can add now is that it is a good improvement over stock 4.5, much better performance, very fluid. I like the colors and the lighting. Now, the downside is that many add-ons don't work, actually most. I have been fiddling with the Beaver all evening and it works and doesn't after each restart (YES, I know that Milviz told me so).  It's essentially waiting again for weeks to get all what you like to work but eventually it will. The engine itself is certainly a progress. 

• Like 1

Hans

1 hour ago, SimonC said:

better fps in v5

That does impress me, for one thing, I see significantly more headroom on the cpu, which has to bode well for add-ons like FSL.

I don't know if your cpu percentage is just the main thread, or if that is the composite usage of all cores, but, at first glance it looks quite nice.  

I'm now even more enthused about purchasing and installing.  Maybe tonight I'll have time.  I'm not as hard core as you early adopters with your Fireball 9000XL controllers eh @Chock ?

Edited by Mace
requested by SimonC as his post changed

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Chock said:

We always hear a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth ten minutes after a shiny new sim version appears and is installed on people's PCs. It's always the same. First up everyone is proclaiming that it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, then when they install it they realise that it is at the end of the day, just a flight sim and just a tarted up version of what they already had, and not only that, in being new, it of course won't like some of the stuff they already have. And, being different, it'll take some tweaking and getting used to.

So stand by for a lot of: 'Boo hoo, my Cessna Sexbomb 9000 won't work in it',  and 'Woe is me, my Firebomb XL 10,000 joystick won't calibrate in it, I demand a refund', etc, etc. If people think it'll be any different when the new MS sim releases, all I can say is they've not been flight simming for very long if they imagine that will be any different either. Yup, it's annoying that we'll be waiting a while for some updated installers, and yes, some things won't work initially even if you manually point them at the new sim to install them. But this is nothing new.

Now I'll admit, the colours of the new sim are a bit of a shock when you first see them, it's very saturated and colourful-looking compared to 4, and so right off the bat most people, including me, will be tweaking those. But how is that any different from all the other sims? Normally you can't move for people banging on about this or that shader add-on for their sim. Literally five minutes of faffing with just the brightness and saturation controls in the sim's option had it fairly under control and that was without even looking at the wealth of things I can do with the Radeon control panel for my AMD GPU.

Then you've got people whining about this or that stuttering or slowing FPS or not running at 2000 FPS, and half the time that's because they've not even bothered to tweak the options sliders or select an option they should be selecting. The fact that there are sliders and tick boxes is a bit of a clue as to the fact that you might, and most likely will, have to play with them to get a satisfactory experience, and we all know that most people are going to ram those sliders all so far to the right that they're nearly coming off the screen just to see what their computer can manage, even though they know that the moment they start adding a lot of TPD stuff, little of which has been specifically designed for the new sim and how it handles stuff, it's going to cause potential problems when they keep their options sliders further to the right than Oswald Mosley.

Seriously, just find a nice aeroplane which works in the thing, maybe add a couple of your add-ons which work and chill out people, instead of expecting it to be the cure-all for every sim woe and gripe ever less than 24 hours after it was released.

Because it won't be. Yet. But if we take an intelligent approach to sussing out its particular traits and nuances, we will find it is an improvement. And it already quite clearly is an improvement in terms of FPS.

Where's the fun in that! 🤣😒:ph34r:

The new atmospherics need some serious work still. For example: rain that still appears to be falling down vertically when you're doing 400kts through it! They go to the effort of modelling localised precipitation but miss a crucial thing like that! The mind boggles...

1 hour ago, hjsmuc said:

I have been fiddling with the Beaver all evening

You might wanna rephrase that. 🤣

• Like 8

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, spilok said:

I couldn't wait for P3d v5, and I bought it YESTERDAY!  I finally got it after trying for several hours to download it.  I have NOT installed it as of yet (Wednesday, 1:08pm Eastern time)!

I'm having 2nd thoughts when I read many comments on this forum:

• Many say it stutters, and the performance is not all that good
  • Many say that the brightness and colors do not look realistic
  • Many say that the return of OOM's are present
  • Many say that there are not sufficient updates to many favorite sceneries, or programs
  • Many say the water and sky aren't all that impressive

Is there a weather program that is reliable like Active Sky?  What is currently used for accurate weather in P3d version 5.

I just did a flight in P3d 4.5...just a short one from Palm Springs (KPSP) to John Wayne (KSNA) and it was absolutely beautiful with exact weather and smooth performance.  It seems by what I read on this forum that P3d v5 is not ready for "prime time".

Really keeping track of the 14 day return policy, and unless something changes, I may not even install P3d v5. The $200+price tag is absolutely justifiable if you get a program that lives up to its promises and provides customer satisfaction.  But $200+ is VERY EXPENSIVE when it causes such negative feedback.

I hope it improves in the days to come with whatever it takes to make it so.

Stan

I am with you on this one, Stan. Good points made.

May return it and stick to 4.5 as my new rig still still not on-stream as yet. All the gear is ready and assembled, just the inclination to go from present rig to new is amiss,🤣

And after the fiasco I had with the current OS and Microsoft, I think I will just bide my time. No, thanks going back to FSX' OOMs!

I wonder how many of the folks complaining about high video ram usage are using 4K monitors and/or have all the scenery options maxed out?

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

4 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

I wonder how many of the folks complaining about high video ram usage are using 4K monitors and/or have all the scenery options maxed out?

Dave

I'm sure those with 8GB VRAM that are "complaining" (like me) are running at 4K.  I have medium settings. LOD on Normal, Scenery Objects on Normal, texture quality at 2048, shadows at medium, reflections off, 2x antialiasing, etc. When I set the sim to 1080p or even 1440p, I gain plenty of headroom.  It is just a bit of a catch 22 right now because the DX12 performance gains in FPS and fluidity are real, which I thought would allow me to turn up the graphics settings a bit and still hold 30 frames everywhere, but because of the VRAM situation, that's really not true, so I now have spare GPU processing headroom, but I can't really utilize that capability because any GPU intensive setting I might increase will drive up my VRAM utilization into the danger zone.  So I have a CPU and GPU with spare headroom and nothing to do with it 😉

Definitely first world flight sim problems...

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

1 hour ago, Chock said:

You might wanna rephrase that. 🤣

The blessing of the non native speaker. At least this Beaver is now running with GTN. 

Edited by hjsmuc
  • Like 1

Hans

Well the terrain still looks very poor.

Why should I have spends moocho $$$ for half decent terrain?

Edited by Boomer

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Chock said:

So stand by for a lot of: 'Boo hoo, my Cessna Sexbomb 9000 won't work in it',  and 'Woe is me, my Firebomb XL 10,000 joystick won't calibrate in it, I demand a refund', etc, etc. If people think it'll be any different when the new MS sim releases, all I can say is they've not been

😂..oh dear....why?

I didn't feel like laughing hard today🍻

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2