Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

18 hours ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

I would buy the XBOX if I got fluid FPS, max settings and didn't have to worry about CTDs and other nonsense with PCs.

Agreed.  At this point it's almost like looking at a second PC for Flight Simulator, which I'm sure is what they are leaning towards.

Remove Windows, driver updates, CTDs and just let me fly.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, YVRDXBLHR said:

I would buy the XBOX if I got fluid FPS, max settings and didn't have to worry about CTDs and other nonsense with PCs.

On PC, you most likely will have access to more additional content and can upgrade your PC hardware through the years. The Series X will be the equivalent of an RTX 2070 and Ryzen 5 processor.  It's not bad for now but will be not so good in a couple of years.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

10 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

The Series X will be the equivalent of an RTX 2070 and Ryzen 5 processor.

More like an RTX 2080 Super and a Ryzen 9 when you consider the smaller API overhead, hardware decompressor and more. I think the new consoles will hold up well for several years, and will challenge PCs a lot when it comes to I/O throughput.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

More like an RTX 2080 Super and a Ryzen 9 when you consider the smaller API overhead, hardware decompressor and more. I think the new consoles will hold up well for several years, and will challenge PCs a lot when it comes to I/O throughput.

I don't think so and the SSD technology will be on PC soon.  I don't want to bash the Series X but it will never be a pc. It will never have the same peripheral support among other things. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

I don't think so and the SSD technology will be on PC soon.

Faster PCIe 4.0 SSDs are not too far off indeed, but to truly match the new consoles, we also need more efficient APIs and either a hardware decompressor or more cores, and neither of these will be mainstream any time soon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Faster PCIe 4.0 SSDs are not too far off indeed, but to truly match the new consoles, we also need more efficient APIs and either a hardware decompressor or more cores, and neither of these will be mainstream any time soon.

more cores ? I got 16 over here 😛 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

more cores ? I got 16 over here 😛 

Good for you, but there are very few people who can afford 16 cores right now, and at least for the next two years. This is where the new consoles will excel.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:13 PM, fogboundturtle said:

On PC, you most likely will have access to more additional content and can upgrade your PC hardware through the years. The Series X will be the equivalent of an RTX 2070 and Ryzen 5 processor.  It's not bad for now but will be not so good in a couple of years.

Not bad? It's pretty powerful for now and will be more than enough in 4 years. Think about it, the 770 is minimum for this flight simulator.

• Like 1

I've decided to wait until this Fall to build my new PC.  There is just too much new hardware coming out in the next few months.  New Ryzen CPU's, new generation of Nvidia cards.  I don't need the new PC until MFS releases anyway so yep I'm holding out for now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I’ve got an I5-3570, RX580 8Gb VRAM, 16GB of ram, and an SSD.. I know the specs from Microsoft have been released but was wondering if anyone has heard from others of making it into the Alpha with similar specs?

If we will be able to connect PC hardware such as yokes, rudder and joysticks to the new Xbox then it is a very interesting alternative, not otherwise.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Hi all, first post from a long-time occasional lurker. I'm after advice and opinions on a new rig for the new sim. Yes, another "What do you think of this?" post I'm afraid!

I'll start with a bit of background which I'll put in italics, so you know what to ignore if you want to get to the point of my post, although reading it may help formulate your replies. Assume though, that I need a new PC anyway, so I'm prepared to take the risk of not waiting for MFS2020 to be released first.

I bought my first PC from a friend and almost immediately learned how to upgrade it, to the point I was helping him improve his new PC. Ever since, I've built my own rigs for gaming, photo/video editing and general use.
Its a few years since I built my last 2 rigs and both have now developed faults, so I need to get a new one up and running soon instead of relying on an ageing laptop for general use anyway.

I've run FS9 and FSX in the past (very much a 'keen casual' ,rather than 'serious' flight-simmer, but have fallen behind PC tech in the last few years. As a result, some of the hardware and connection types are a bit of a mystery to me - SSDs were only SATA when I last built a machine up!

In short, I want a rig that's better than 'Recommended' but nowhere near the price of 'Ideal'!
I'd use my Thrustmaster HOTAS initially, before eventually migrating to the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo combo.

I was looking at something along the lines of:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RX 590 or RX 5500XT (8GB)
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz C14 (16GB) RAM, upgrading to 32GB in the future
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max or Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE
and some sort of suitable SSD (plus re-using an existing HDD for now at least). Been a bit put off by negativity over MSI's mobos recently though.

But, I found a pre-built PC that seems to beat that for £900, about £95 less than it would take to build myself:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz (up to 4.2GHz)

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (2x8GB)

Hard Drives: 240GB Corsair MP510 M.2 NVMe
                              1TB Seagate BarraCuda

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC 8GB

Power Supply: 550W Corsair CV550

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM

Cooling: AMD Wraith

WiFi: 300N

Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64

Case: EG Diamond

Any obvious weak-points or bottlenecks? You may need to keep your advice, and reasoning behind it,  fairly simple to make up for my lack of recent experience as explained above.

I've no idea about the SSD's worthiness.

I could always take out the the mobo, if lacking in some way, and replace it (with a Gigabyte X570 Gaming X perhaps?) doubling the DIMM slots, and use the ASUS one to start rebuilding one of my other PCs.

My current PCs have the CoolerMaster 500W modular and Corsair CX600 PSUs if they would be a better bet for power.

FWIW, I have 36-38 Mbps broadband. I'd used a wired connection.

Any help - and best guesses -  gratefully received.

Edited by 109Sqn

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Too late to add to the above -

Since Windows will presumably be installed on the SSD in the pre-built PC, I'd need to factor in a second SSD to dedicate to MFS2020. Any problems with that mobo (or the X570 Gaming X), and what should I be looking for anyway?

(mods, feel free to add this post after "SSD's worthiness" in original post, and delete this one).

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

@109Sqn

This is the PC I just ordered for MSFS thanks to the help of an AVSIM member for the same budget

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI Tomahawk Max: next AMD CPU Gen will be compatible

32Gb RAM 3200Mhz GSkill Ripjaws 5

Crucial MX500 500Go for Windows and MSFS (loading times will be much improved)

Seasonic Core GC 650W Gold (found a good deal)

RTX 2060 (went to Nvidia because the AMD video card can cause crashes based on your luck and I don't have nerves for that- imagine your PC crashes on final after a" 3hour flight)

Corsair 275R Airflow case

I hope I will be able to maintain 45FPS in 1080p constantly with ultra settings. Also this build will let me probably improve for a next gen CPU in some years thanks to the MOBO and a new GPU thanks to the PSU. Finally an M.2 slot will remain available for when NVME SSDs will be cheaper.

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Noooch said:

@109Sqn

This is the PC I just ordered for MSFS thanks to the help of an AVSIM member for the same budget

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI Tomahawk Max: next AMD CPU Gen will be compatible

32Gb RAM 3200Mhz GSkill Ripjaws 5

Crucial MX500 500Go for Windows and MSFS (loading times will be much improved)

Seasonic Core GC 650W Gold (found a good deal)

RTX 2060 (went to Nvidia because the AMD video card can cause crashes based on your luck and I don't have nerves for that- imagine your PC crashes on final after a" 3hour flight)

Corsair 275R Airflow case

I hope I will be able to maintain 45FPS in 1080p constantly. Also this build will let me probably improve for a next gen CPU in some years thanks to the MOBO and a new GPU thanks to the PSU.

It's a solid rig, personally I would've waited if you built this only for FS.

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans