Sign in to follow this  
Maaarp

PMDG 777 vs iFLY 737NG

G'day everyone,

I'd love your advice on my next airliner. I'm currently flying the QualityWings 146 and 787-9. They are great aircraft but I'm getting a little frustrated with the FMC on the 787. There seem to be a few bugs which makes the flight more annoying than fun. I've narrowed down my choices for my next long haul jet to either PMDG 777 or iFly 737NG and would really appreciate your experiences. Also, I'm not necessarily wedded to these two, they just seem like they'd fit the bill.

I should add that I'm not an aviator, just keen to learn.

Thanks heaps

Warwick

Look no further than the PMDG 747 when it comes to long haul. Atleast until PMDG comes up with the upgrade for the 777 which is supposed to bring it on par to their 747 and NGXu.

Just noticed that you have the iFly 737 as your choice. If so, I suggest the FSLabs A320/19/21. Which is the best simulated add-on right now for desktop flightsim 😉

• Like 2

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

iFly will charge again for v5 upgrade so not buy now, PMDG777 will not, buy for v4 now and enjoy for v5(and it actually can run in v5 right now).

The only reason I keep ifly737 while also have NGXu is because it can fly RF-legs at HIGHLAND airport, but I believe both feature are on PMDG's to do list then...

Edited by C2615

The ifly 737 offers, IMHO, the best value for your money - it offers all variants plus the BBJ. PMDG has promised a BBJ variant since the early days of the 737NG - this was roughly when the dinosaurs still walked the earth.

The ifly 737 is also frequently on sale over at Flight1.com

If you want a long hauler I'd stick with the 787 and see what the problem is with the FMC. The PMDG 777 is expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C2615 said:

iFly will charge again for v5 upgrade so not buy now, PMDG777 will not, buy for v4 now and enjoy for v5(and it actually can run in v5 right now).

The only reason I keep ifly737 while also have NGXu is because it can fly RF-legs at HIGHLAND airport, but I believe both feature are on PMDG's to do list then...

Does the ifly737 work in p3dv5 ? If yes did you just point the installer to the v5 dir ?

2 hours ago, snapshot21 said:

Look no further than the PMDG 747 when it comes to long haul. Atleast until PMDG comes up with the upgrade for the 777 which is supposed to bring it on par to their 747 and NGXu.

Just noticed that you have the iFly 737 as your choice. If so, I suggest the FSLabs A320/19/21. Which is the best simulated add-on right now for desktop flightsim 😉

That.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, MindYerBeak said:

Does the ifly737 work in p3dv5 ? If yes did you just point the installer to the v5 dir ?

No, it won't, DU will blank.etc,etc...

beside the hotfix to make it work in v5,iFly will also upgrade it's VC (I think at least to their 747 standard), and other improves, so charge for that is fair IMO, but just wait for that instead of buying v4 right now.

3 hours ago, Maaarp said:

for my next long haul jet to either PMDG 777 or iFly 737NG

& your definition of long haul is ....... ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

for now, cheers

john martin

If you want something that's as good as it gets then it's PMDG all the way. Their work is beautiful. It just is. Yeah, it's expensive, but like anything, you get what you pay for.

The iFly 737 may well represent value for money but it doensn't compare to the PMDG version as far as I'm concerned.

When it comes to airliners the best of the best are the PMDG 737, 777, 747 and the FSLabs A320. Beautiful and deep simulations that will require an investment of time as much as they do money but they are very rewarding. Buy any of them and I don't think you will be disappointed and they may just change the way you view flight sim entirely.

In MY opinion.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

11 minutes ago, Canine Crew said:

I'm actually considering getting the QW787, what's up with it?

Having problems with the FMC in the final phases of flight. When you add a runway to the arrivals it seems to add a couple of extra (and quite incorrect) waypoints. Weird!

3 minutes ago, vadriver said:

& your definition of long haul is ....... ?

Oh, say 3500 nm or longer. The big runs from Europe to Canada or Canada to Perth. That sort of thing.

Just now, Maaarp said:

Oh, say 3500 nm or longer. The big runs from Europe to Canada or Canada to Perth. That sort of thing.

Well, I wouldn't class the 737 or A320 a long haul aircraft. Go the PMDG 777 and 747 route.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

2 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Well, I wouldn't class the 737 or A320 a long haul aircraft. Go the PMDG 777 and 747 route.

Do you reckon the PMDG is usable for an intermediate simmer such as myself? I'm probably not ready for a study level aircraft but can handle the QW 787 ok (for the most part)