Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

V5 KLAS FlyTampa VRAM -Any tips?

Any tips on getting FlyTampa KLAS to be playable in V5 with the PMDG 747? I use reasonable settings in V5 yet if I spend anytime looking at the city my VRAM quickly reaches 6.8-6.9. Vegas is the only place I have any issues, even FsDreamTeam KLAX is pretty decent for me.

Specs:

Core i7 9700K 4.8GHZ

32GB Ram

RTX 2070 Super 8GB

Windows 10 2004

• Upvote 1

I think it's the 8gb VRAM holding you back.  Go to LVFR mia/fll.  Those will be even higher

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Try setting your textures in P3D's display settings to 1024. Looks like garbage but that's what 8GB users will have to use at any large airport with PBR.

• Upvote 1

You can also reduce the settings of Vegas City in the FlyTampa Configurator. I have a fairly overclocked system, but can’t get higher than 28 FPS on approach to FlyTampa KLAS with the PMDG 747. 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

P3d V5 KLAS Fly Tampa is rough in my sim too, PMDG 747-400: I'm running a new i9-9700KF, a

Asus Maximus Xl Hero ROG mother board, EVGA GeForce Nvidia RTX 2880, 16GB 3200 Ram, Win 10.

I overclock the Nvidia very little and see 4.5-5.5 VRAM. I

I'm bumping right up there. I have all sliders up above normal setting's, I do get to see a some of the city below at 4,000 ft.,

some times a little slow switching back an forth between views.

not much help, as I consider myself a novas in flight sim computers.

Edited by jawalt66

I have the same problem at LVFR KMIAV5. Very discouraging. If you have to role textures etc back to FSX level totally negates the purpose of the upgrade from a visually and performance good P3DV4 to version 5. Looks like I'll be keeping V4.5 for my study level tubes for some time until LM and developers together can get this thing stabilized.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

I would agree. P3dV5.x not letting me use LatinVFR KMIA, KFLL, or FlyTampa KLAS. Very, very disappointing. 

Any tips or advice would be great.

I can provide my specs if needed.

Thanks!

The key for the 2080 and Flytampa KLAS, especially with PMDG is as follows. Mind you, I also have EA on at 3840x2160 res and running Orbx landclass, and Boulder Airport, right down the road..

Texture Resolution 1024 = critical

LOD = High

Autogen and scenery draw distance = Medium

Autogen building density = Normal

EA cloud resolution =  Low (barely any clouds in Vegas ever, but every bit helps)

Everything else a combination of Ultra or High settings, and doesn't matter. I'm usually sitting right around 5.9/6.4 with my settings. The crazy thing is if I drop the resolution to 2140x1440 it changes to 5.7/7.1. So my memory requirement drops, which makes sense, but my baseline increase to 7.1 which makes no sense. Also when I'm at 3840 resolution and resize the Window, to roughly half the size, the baseline number jumps to 7.1. Would be nice to have a consistent 7.1 but no one can explain why that changes and what exactly is going on. 

Our 8Gb cards are a major limiting factor. It's a shame, because the 2080 performs just fine, just not enough vram to run acceptable texture resolutions and lod. It's also sad that we will have to shell out $1500 for a 3090, that's never available anyway. So your only other option is the new AMD cards, which you probably can't find either, or a scalped 3090 at double msrp.  

I wish the 3080 or even 3070 cards had around 16GB. I think that would be the sweet spot. 

Edited by SolRayz

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I have FlyTampa Las Vegas, but don't have it installed yet so I can't comment on it. But I do have a freeware scenery for Ramon Israel (LLER) and the only way I can use the scenery is if I turn off EA mode. If I leave EA mode on my VRAM usage gets close to 7 (without EA mode my VRAM usage is in the 4 to 5 range at the scenery). Luckily the sim doesn't crash because P3D automatically turns off EA mode before it can crash.

And like the thread starter this LLER scenery is the only place I have had this trouble.

Hopefully LM will keep improving the VRAM usage and stability of P3D when EA mode is on.

I honestly think that it's more luck of the draw. I have FT KLAS on top of FTX SCA as well as MAIW KLSV and a ton of custom HD ai and the VRAM issue posted by some isn't an issue at all. Sure I have a card with 11gb of VRAM, but the more you have, the more the sim uses and I never see even close to 7 GB and have the sim using 4096 textures and nothing turned down to save vram. From the posts over the past few years, it actually seems quite random, most have no issues with it, but it still leaves many having to penny pinch when it comes to settings regardless of their hardware. There just isn't a one fix, fixes all solution to this.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

What your 

1 hour ago, Dave_YVR said:

I honestly think that it's more luck of the draw. I have FT KLAS on top of FTX SCA as well as MAIW KLSV and a ton of custom HD ai and the VRAM issue posted by some isn't an issue at all. Sure I have a card with 11gb of VRAM, but the more you have, the more the sim uses and I never see even close to 7 GB and have the sim using 4096 textures and nothing turned down to save vram. From the posts over the past few years, it actually seems quite random, most have no issues with it, but it still leaves many having to penny pinch when it comes to settings regardless of their hardware. There just isn't a one fix, fixes all solution to this.

What you're seeing makes sense. The scenery wont eat more than 7 GB with it fully loaded, it's just that 8Gb cards will never get us there. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I've been experimenting with lowering the resolution from 4K down to 2140x1440 and I'm now finding my max ceiling of 7.1 seems to be more stable, instead of dropping down to 6.8, or even 6.3, which leaves little headroom and more crashes.  I'm also able to push sliders to the right, fairly aggressively particularly Autogen and cloud resolutions sliders. I might have to part with 4K resolution until my new gpu. 

14 hours ago, SolRayz said:

The key for the 2080 and Flytampa KLAS, especially with PMDG is as follows. Mind you, I also have EA on at 3840x2160 res and running Orbx landclass, and Boulder Airport, right down the road..

Texture Resolution 1024 = critical

LOD = High

Autogen and scenery draw distance = Medium

Autogen building density = Normal

EA cloud resolution =  Low (barely any clouds in Vegas ever, but every bit helps)

Everything else a combination of Ultra or High settings, and doesn't matter. I'm usually sitting right around 5.9/6.4 with my settings. The crazy thing is if I drop the resolution to 2140x1440 it changes to 5.7/7.1. So my memory requirement drops, which makes sense, but my baseline increase to 7.1 which makes no sense. Also when I'm at 3840 resolution and resize the Window, to roughly half the size, the baseline number jumps to 7.1. Would be nice to have a consistent 7.1 but no one can explain why that changes and what exactly is going on. 

Our 8Gb cards are a major limiting factor. It's a shame, because the 2080 performs just fine, just not enough vram to run acceptable texture resolutions and lod. It's also sad that we will have to shell out $1500 for a 3090, that's never available anyway. So your only other option is the new AMD cards, which you probably can't find either, or a scalped 3090 at double msrp.  

I wish the 3080 or even 3070 cards had around 16GB. I think that would be the sweet spot. 

That's why I'm on 4.5HF3 still, even with 2080Ti

26 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

That's why I'm on 4.5HF3 still, even with 2080Ti

That doesn't make any sense. You'd be perfectly fine on V5 with a 2080ti. It's us 8GB users who got F'd by the P3D team with the DX12 move.

8 hours ago, SolRayz said:

it's just that 8Gb cards will never get us there.

It's not just that, it's like system ram. Up to a certain point the more you have, the more the system uses. An 8gb card will use less than one that has 10,11,24 etc, it's not linear. For many 8gb is just fine, and others with 11gb have the same vram problems. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS