Sign in to follow this  
cannow

One Month In V5 here comes V4.5

i don´t think that the invest into a GPU Card with more than 8 GB is mandatory. I´am using V5 HF1, only with EA and ActiveSky beta. My 8 GB VRAM is used by only 4.3 GB out of 8 so there is much as enough space. I use the same Settings i´ve had in V4.5 but with EA the Immersion is much more realistic. In V4.5 i was forced to Limit the FPS to 30 to have less stutters especially on Ground while taxi. But now in V5 i have put the FPS to Unlimited with VSync on and i have such a smooth sim. Absolutely no stutters even not with GSX on high dense Airports like EGLL or EDDF. I´am really happy with V5.

I think it´s more important to know that your GPU must be Ready for DX12 to get the best Performance and Advantage from it. I´ve seen that some are using older GSX GPU´s which are not able to cope with all Features of DX12 because the GPU just has just not the Right shadermodels and other capabiltiys for DX12. Make sure you use a GPU with the Turing chip not the Pascal like the GTX has.  

• Upvote 2

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

I just received my Titan X Pascal. Too bad I do not have a P3D v5 to test. At least I can now test XP11 Vulkan. 😀

I am sorry to hear the news that you are not able to fly in P3D v5.😢

Hopefully you will find a way to enjoy the depression-inducing color palette, lack of airline traffic and ugly, flickering cloud shadows of XP11.50b9 Vulkan, though.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

I am sorry to hear the news that you are not able to fly in P3D v5.😢

Hopefully you will find a way to enjoy the depression-inducing color palette, lack of airline traffic and ugly, flickering cloud shadows of XP11.50b9 Vulkan, though.

You forgot the long loading time (twice as long as 11.41) and error messages from loaded airports. 😀

But, at least I have an additional 10 fps.

I know Vulkan is not ready yet but at least I have P3D v4.5 & XP 11.41 to enjoy.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Well i refunded mine after a week of constant tweaking on a RTX 2080 Super. It was annoying. And i kept on telling myself that this dose not seem right. I have a huge array of games that even if i max everything out it will run like a slide show it wont crash. Why does V5 have to be different and crash. I dont know. Anyways i'm happier for it. Buy my thinking was, why is 8GB not enough. What is going on?

Regards

Mike

• Like 2

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

7 hours ago, BerndB said:

i don´t think that the invest into a GPU Card with more than 8 GB is mandatory. I´am using V5 HF1, only with EA and ActiveSky beta. My 8 GB VRAM is used by only 4.3 GB out of 8 so there is much as enough space.

Bernd, the Q to ask is why does it even use 4+ GB with medium settings and HD resolution??? For what? For repeating ground texture blocks, 30 textured trees and bushes, autogen rectangular buildings,...?

A card like yours shold be able to go 4k resolution with apps that have much more demanding graphics...that's what I can't understand.

In P3D you get ground textures at airports that are painted (flat) in such a way so they look more or less 3D (there are no actual holes or cracks or pools of watter in them). Other DX12 programs actualy simulate realistic grounds with dust, trash, imperfections,...etc. that do not eat up gazilions of vram.

Edited by GEKtheReaper
  • Like 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Deleted.

Edited by Riah069

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

16 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

Why--on earth--would I want to spend money on a new version that I need to spend days tweaking only to be forced to LOWER my settings from 4.5?  Just asking.

Welcome to Avsim, where the newest is always best, regardless of actual facts and experiences. 

In the world outside of Avsim folks enjoy their working simulators. 

Avsim - the biggest beta-test community in flight simulation!

• Like 2

8 gig of ram easily eat up light airport and 747 is say 4 gig  on 1024 textures  low settings no trueskies.VR is 800mb to 1.5 gig depending on pd settings so . 5.5 gig ,you need a buffer of about a gig because VR spikes when you initiate it. So 6.5 gig operating system another gig.  7.5 gig. That's on 1024 textures 30cm.thats leaves 500mb for heavy airports badly optimised planes ,true earth. Vroom is waiting. VR is of course the big problem for can handle most of the time but difficult .

On 4.5 I could handle VR with a rtx 2080 8 gig . V5 in my view requires a 2080 ti to run VR 

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Actually, I am enjoying V5 with my 1080 with 11GB VRAM, but the lack of airliners to fly with due to the absurd weather bug and things like rain inside the cockpit diminish my joy a lot. For now, it's a nice  VFR simulator for me, flying over the UK with True earth. For my more serious needs, I still use 4.5

4 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Bernd, the Q to ask is why does it even use 4+ GB with medium settings and HD resolution??? For what? For repeating ground texture blocks, 30 textured trees and bushes, autogen rectangular buildings,...?

Yes, i´am with you, but my own conclusion is this. With V5 LM has started to rewrite the legacy Code of P3D to shift computations away from the processor which don´t Need to be done at it. Beside this, they implemented a complete different and more up-to-date renderengine for the athmospheric appearance wich uses different principles of cgi like raytracing and variable shading etc. We all know that up to V4.5, the Major part of all computations was allways demanding the CPU and there is/was the Bottleneck. In steps LM shiftet more and more to the GPU like implementing PBR and now EA. I´am sure, that the codes of the EA engine will be optimized shortly. And it´s really noticeable that the CPU is relieved because of the smoothness i have in my Setup.

But honestly the Question About why it uses even 4 gig´s is useless for me as Long the SIM does what it´s stands for. If i would own a Lambo Aventador i even wouldn´t ask myself why it´s consuming so much of gasoline while other SuperCars Need less. 😉 

PS: I forgot to Mention, that i have dramaticaly expanded the width of the scenery that is loaded arround my Position. The scenery is now loaded up to the horizon which eliminate the effect of popping up textures more far out. This would partly explain the high consumption of VAS.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Welcome to Avsim, where the newest is always best, regardless of actual facts and experiences. 

Of Course!!!! Without this and all of us in this Kind of Forums, we wouldn´t been where we are today in case of our Simulation😜

Bernd

5 minutes ago, BerndB said:

Yes, i´am with you, but my own conclusion is this. With V5 LM has started to rewrite the legacy Code of P3D to shift computations away from the processor which don´t Need to be done at it. Beside this, they implemented a complete different and more up-to-date renderengine for the athmospheric appearance wich uses different principles of cgi like raytracing and variable shading etc.

I'm also with you my friend! I do like the new path LM has taken and I started my first post beeing very positive about the changes they made. Of corse they will try to optimize the engine and I realy hope thet they will succeed in it.

The thing I fear is that for every single bit of enhancements, some users tend to forget about the bugs that come with it and doing so, LM will never ever fix those BUGs.

P3Dv4.5 needed 3HF and it still did not fix things like scripted effects for the rain on windshield which was introduced with v4.5 at first. There are a plethora of things that needed to be fixed and they haven't. Yes, you can fly it (I use it) but instead of releasing v5 with more bugs, they should have done theyr homework.

With v5 it's a first that LM releases something in BETA like the Enh. Atm. Just have a look at all the discussions based on wrong elevations, wrong mesh, etc.etc. This is surely not a leap foreward, it is simply unfinished coding.

Also IMHO it is wrong to say, LM moved the load from the CPU to the GPU and that's a good thing. Yes the idea is good but the implementation is worst then ever. GPU have more power these days then CPU's but even with that power, you still have to LOWER settings compared to v4.5. The enthusiast now wait for MS to help them releasing some of the vRAM instead of opening theyre eyes and recognise it is simply wrong.

word not allowed Creed or Shadow of the TR or XP with Vulkan, or name whatever other app (Game) you like, can be run maxed out in HD res with vRAM lover then 4Gigs. Even World of Thanks has better ground and vegetation then P3D. The 3D grass is also a 2D texture positioned vertical to the ground. It does not move or interact with nothing. It is only a 2D photo eating up vRAM ;).

I can already hear people shouting: those don't simulate the entire world but only x,xsq Km. This is pointless since I only have to see my closest environment sharp and clear. From a height of 5000 feet I don't care how many branches has a tree or if it moves with the wind....

• Like 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

4 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

I can already hear people shouting: those don't simulate the entire world but only x,xsq Km. This is pointless since I only have to see my closest environment sharp and clear. From a height of 5000 feet I don't care how many branches has a tree or if it moves with the wind....

Exactly! At least Coping with the limitations of P3D is a good way of passing the time until FS2020 will be released and, (this is an important and) all the Major Bugs in it are fixed.

• Like 1

Bernd

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

With decent hardware, P3D v5 as of now is stable. It will get better, but it's very usable. 

You suggest that it is not a "working simulator". That's just plane wrong. I've used it for 95% of my flying over the past 2-3 weeks, with X-plane accounting for the other 5%. I have flown it almost every day during that time, Of the full gamut of aviation simulators I use, v5 is currently my clear favorite.

If you're suggesting that positive comments are not "based on actual facts and experiences" and saying that v5 is not a working simulator - can I ask, how many P3D v5 sim hours do you have?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

31 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

With v5 it's a first that LM releases something in BETA like the Enh. Atm. Just have a look at all the discussions based on wrong elevations, wrong mesh, etc.etc. This is surely not a leap foreward, it is simply unfinished coding.

Also IMHO it is wrong to say, LM moved the load from the CPU to the GPU and that's a good thing. Yes the idea is good but the implementation is worst then ever. GPU have more power these days then CPU's but even with that power, you still have to LOWER settings compared to v4.5. The enthusiast now wait for MS to help them releasing some of the vRAM instead of opening theyre eyes and recognise it is simply wrong.

word not allowed Creed or Shadow of the TR or XP with Vulkan, or name whatever other app (Game) you like, can be run maxed out in HD res with vRAM lover then 4Gigs. Even World of Thanks has better ground and vegetation then P3D. The 3D grass is also a 2D texture positioned vertical to the ground. It does not move or interact with nothing. It is only a 2D photo eating up vRAM ;).

Enhanced atmospherics is stated to be in beta, but it works very well. I certainly prefer the beta Truesky to the non-beta ASCA/Rex etc. There are no show-stopping bugs in Truesky, just inconveniences such as having to run VR in stereo mode for now.

"Wrong elevations" - if you mean the unexpected crashes into invisible terrain, that problem has been fixed, it is not a current issue.

"wrong mesh" - the mesh was updated for v5. Overall, it's a good step forward. It's very rare that I see a mesh issue in v5, much less common than with my Pilot's mesh addon.

"the enthusiast now wait for MS to help them releasing some of the vRAM". LM has provided a setting in the menu to prevent VRAM errors. Many - including me - turn it off to increase performance, but that is not LM's fault. Appropriate use of addons and sliders will prevent VRAM errors at any rate, I don't think that's a significant problem with the base sim (note that I wouldn't know I as fly v5 full to the brim with add-ons).

The simple problem is that people are unreasonable with their add-on and slider use when compared to their hardware. 

Too many comments here suggesting that v5 has major issues wiht regards to usability. It does not, though pre-HF1 that may have been fair. LM has shown that they will listen to our feedback and fix problems promptly. Quite simply, it's a good sim that will get steadily better over its 2-3 year lifecycle.  

• Like 1

Oz