Sign in to follow this  
cannow

One Month In V5 here comes V4.5

Well been trying for a month but V5 is not working out . Probably because I have not got an 11gig card . My main use is Vr . With an 8gig card you are playing a balanceing act all the time hoping the card des not crash . Truesky does look nice but not great . To be honest it is off all the time to high a vram . I have one jetliner the 747 everything else is in the repair hanger . If they come I suspect vram will be too much . The beta of TFDI 717 shows me that. So thinking of going back to 4.5 until LM fix the vram leaks or I can afford a 11gig or higher card. The visuals and benefits are just not there. The pain is . 

• Upvote 6

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

The thing that most users have failed to get is that DX12 will force you to lower your settings or get more VRAM. You can't wait for every add-on to be optimized to use less VRAM. You might be able to get some back with the latest WIN 10 update coming at the end of the month, but that is still something that will more than likely be system dependent.

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Yep lower your settings that's why I have spent a month . If desktop flying can achieve with los of visual compromise , but VR you need an extra 1 -1.5 gig of vram to play with allows you to enter and exit safely . Now that's hard ,of course in lots of places acheviable. Flying the 747 now . Bur one wrong move and you are toast . 

My discussion point is it worth the haslle , performance like for like is not that much better . Truesky well I am not su but the high vram means it gets turned off. really is there a benefit without an 11gig to avoid the vram issuses.

As a 1080p desktop user works fine VR makes it a total pain. Only thing that keeps me going is vr is a little bit better and pop out panels works better. 

Colin hodds

After a month i belive V5 is better than V4 

• Like 2

Nowt to do with your 8GB card, it crashes with 11GB cards too. Not for everyone, of course. The crashes could be due to LM code and/or compatibility with certain addons, or combination of addons. It could be DX12, could be AMD, could be Nvidia, could be Windows 10 1903, 1909 or 2004. Or it could be the solar cycle is causing slightly out-of-phase inter-cosmic flux to cause our highly sophisticated personal computers to just give up while we are on short final after a over the virtual world.

I still find it strange with 5.5gb/9.2gb to get CTD with oom or G2D.DLL error. 

Some huge spikes in VRAM i guess on vanilla v5hf1.

Looking forward to Hotfix 2

Michael Moe 

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

19 minutes ago, daelight said:

Nowt to do with your 8GB card, it crashes with 11GB cards too. Not for everyone, of course. The crashes could be due to LM code and/or compatibility with certain addons, or combination of addons. It could be DX12, could be AMD, could be Nvidia, could be Windows 10 1903, 1909 or 2004. Or it could be the solar cycle is causing slightly out-of-phase inter-cosmic flux to cause our highly sophisticated personal computers to just give up while we are on short final after a over the virtual world.

The only thing right now that is certain is that P3D v5 has issues that need to be addressed, add-on devs need to update their add-ons, and some users will need to upgrade their hardware in order to get the most from DX12.

For those reasons I'm still on v4.5HF2. P3D v5 is still in its infancy and unstable.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

It's not necessarily an extremely large request for VRAM. It could also be that the largest block of available VRAM is too small to meet the request. VRAM gets fragmented over time just like RAM does. Or the error could have nothing to do directly with available VRAM.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It's not necessarily an extremely large request for VRAM. It could also be that the largest block of available VRAM is too small to meet the request. VRAM gets fragmented over time just like RAM does. Or the error could have nothing to do directly with available VRAM.

Yes that makes sense either way frustrating to be struggling again and wishing I had better hardware 

Colin hodds

I cannot see enough of a difference to use it.

• Like 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Why--on earth--would I want to spend money on a new version that I need to spend days tweaking only to be forced to LOWER my settings from 4.5?  Just asking.

Edited by TASCHMANN
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

Why--on earth--would I want to spend money on a new version that I need to spend days tweaking only to be forced to LOWER my settings from 4.5?  Just asking.

+1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

6 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

Then don't? Just wait for it to get better.

1 minute ago, vp49p3 said:

+1

You don't need to reply with a +1. You can just use the like button.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

My first experience I wanted to return it right away. I persevered and realized that P3D 4 settings were not going to work. In my opinion the best way to configure your system is to start at a complex scenery area or airport with default settings and gradually increase testing each step. Forget about frame rates numbers it is a trap. Focus on smooth operation and lack of stutters and visual pixel re-loading. For me V5 is a vast improvement in the operation of the plane. Operation of throttle is smoother and more exact, completing taxi is much easier. Visuals are sharper more detail, water is more realistic. Note that as always our individual experience will be different as many have different hardware setups and different addons. For me I will not be going back. Excited and anxiously awaiting release of PMDG 737 NGXU.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Prepar3d V5 FSUIPC 6.0 GTN Complete, Garmin Trainer 6.50.1
PMDG 737 NGXU, Carenado: B350i King air, EMB505 Phenom300, H25B H850XP
Flightbeam: KDEN, KPHX, KSFOHD, FsDreamTeam: CYVR, KIAH, KJFK, KLAX_V2, PHKO, PHLI, PHNL, PHOG, PHTO,GSX,GSX version 2.5.0.11
Navigraph Simlink, Navigraph, Spad.neXt 0.9.6.5.4
Orbx Global,Vector,Trees,Global openLC North AmericaNorthern California,Northern Rockies,Pacific Northwest, Southern California,KPSP,KSAN,KTVL,PAKT,YMML,NZQN,KMRY,KTVL,NZMF,PAEN,PAJN,PAKT,CYEG,CYLW

I wouldnt be surprised if P3Dv5 becomes the word not allowed sim for addon developers. For awhile now 3rd party developers have been getting their products 64bit ready and working on v4. Now that v5 is out, v4 is finished and they can build their product to work for it and know they no longer need to worry about a new version. v5 on the other hand is just starting and is DX12 so they have to once again (for the better) rework their products. Not so bad except MSFS is coming out and with the reported 200 3rd party development companies they are working with, well perhaps v5 isnt getting all the attention it needs. As the year moves closer to the release of MSFS, its hard to imagine v5 not taking a back seat to MSFS. At that point, P3Dv5 might never really have a chance for a majority of addons.

I purchased v5 but havent installed it. Removed v4 as well. I have a crazy amount of money invested in addons so I will keep v5 around but I use v3 for P3D and XPlane11 for my main sims. v3 allows me the use of a lot of addons that didnt make it to the 64bit version and Xplane11 has become my more used sim.

• Like 1