Sign in to follow this  
cannow

One Month In V5 here comes V4.5

Hi,

Have been using Version 5 for a couple of weeks now... but have decided to revert back to 4.5... V5 certainly has some improvements, but whilst scenery is recieving update, we are still faffing around for updates to most aircraft, atleast the usual suspects... in all honestly I just want to fly and not be consumed with contstant tweaking and workarounds... 4.5 is stable, it aint broke...  my system is quite capable of running V5, but PMDG, Aerosoft planes currently are not stable/available yet.... Rex is not ready yet...  will wait for future V5 builds...

Faisal

• Like 2

Faisal Niazi

56 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Too many comments here suggesting that v5 has major issues wiht regards to usability. It does not,

One can claim that a product has issues if those occur for some (and they do - many people attesting to this, me included), but you can’t claim that a product doesn’t have issues because you personally haven’t encountered them. 

Personally v5HF1 is very unstable for me. CTD on almost every attempt to fly for more then 1 hour. My main appreciation of P3D has always been stability and performance. V5 doesn’t get deliver on the former even if the latter looks promising. Hoping LM will be able to rectify this over time. Until then it’s v4.5 for me. 

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

- can I ask, how many P3D v5 sim hours do you have?

Zilch. Zero. Nada. That's  because I have a nicely running P3Dv4 installation. 

And I'm not about to line LM's pocket by buying their beta product. 

I've yet to see convincing evidence that v5 significantly improves a simmer's experience. What I AM seeing here are: CTDs, OOms, stutters, garish colors, addons that don't quite work, etc. I'd rather spend my limited time gaming than fixing. 

I always suggest folks wait until the sim is fixed. I guess people love to tinker with their systems. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Riah069 said:

I have a huge array of games that even if i max everything out it will run like a slide show it wont crash. Why does V5 have to be different and crash. I dont know. Anyways i'm happier for it. Buy my thinking was, why is 8GB not enough. What is going on?

Don't compare games with flightsims. Demandwise they are completely different beasts, even if you take games like GTA in consideration.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

42 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Zilch. Zero. Nada. That's  because I have a nicely running P3Dv4 installation. 

And I'm not about to line LM's pocket by buying their beta product. 

I've yet to see convincing evidence that v5 significantly improves a simmer's experience. What I AM seeing here are: CTDs, OOms, stutters, garish colors, addons that don't quite work, etc. I'd rather spend my limited time gaming than fixing. 

I always suggest folks wait until the sim is fixed. I guess people love to tinker with their systems. 

So basically you know jack about V5 but you arrogate to advise other people about it.

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I'm not here to advise any one. If folks wish to spend their time beta-testing, who am I to tell them otherwise. It's a free country, you know. 

Me, I'm off to take my new toy - the DA62 from Vertx - out for a little spin. See ya!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Don't compare games with flightsims. Demandwise they are completely different beasts, even if you take games like GTA in consideration.

They are, but in the opposite direction.

Compared to most modern action games a flightsim is pretty much doing nothing except drawing the scenery. The CPU/GPU cycles spent on ATC, aerodynamics, sound etc, is marginal. It has to do pretty much one single thing and it does it really bad.

Prepar3D is using a 15-20 year old graphics engine. Modern games are using an engine that is developed using modern software for modern hardware. That's where the difference is. This myth that flightsims are so special and can't be fixed is just that, a myth. As long as you repeat that myth people will keep thinking that it's true. It is not. To fix it it would however require a rewrite of certain parts from the ground up and to be honest I think Prepar3D is way past that point where that's practically possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So according to the Avsim experts during the years:

Prepar3D v1: sure it's bad now, but when DirectX 12 is implemented you'll be able to max out all sliders

Prepar3D v2: sure it's bad now, but when DirectX 12 is implemented you'll be able to max out all sliders

Prepar3D v3: sure it's bad now, but when DirectX 12 is implemented you'll be able to max out all sliders

Prepar3D v4: sure it's bad now, but when DirectX 12 is implemented you'll be able to max out all sliders

Prepar3D v5: sure it's bad, but because of DirectX 12 you must of course lower your sliders

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

You suggest that it is not a "working simulator". That's just plane wrong. I've used it for 95% of my flying over the past 2-3 weeks, with X-plane accounting for the other 5%. I have flown it almost every day during that time, Of the full gamut of aviation simulators I use, v5 is currently my clear favorite.

If you're suggesting that positive comments are not "based on actual facts and experiences" and saying that v5 is not a working simulator - can I ask, how many P3D v5 sim hours do you have?

Rob, please take a breath and reread my post starting with the first one...

I NEVER implied that v5 is a not working sim! I pointed out it's pros but also it's cons and the cons are now that everybody has to get GPU's past 6Gig for what graphics? For 2D trees painted in 2 crossing planes, for 2D gras again painted in 2 crossing planes?

And asking about elevation and mesh issues you clearly did not spend any time on p3d forums where I also pointed out that the a super guy called Max fixes them "by the fly" (meaning almost instantly after a user report comes in.

So please stop beeing biased and read the written word which is always prone to missinterpretations.

PS: I did some flights in v5 even with the GTX970 (LOD 2.5) ;)......And I will surely install it again when a new version arises. Nevertheless it's IMHO outragious that such graphics eat up 4+ Gigs of VRAM in HD textures....open your eyes man.

Edited by GEKtheReaper
  • Upvote 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

16 minutes ago, NickBo said:

Prepar3D is using a 15-20 year old graphics engine. Modern games are using an engine that is developed using modern software for modern hardware. That's where the difference is. This myth that flightsims are so special and can't be fixed is just that, a myth.

You're post count made me curios ... clicking thru your 23 posts since mid of April here shows clearly what your purpose to open an account here is.

And this "15-20 year old code" is not a myth but just rubbish.

Edited by JoeFackel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Signature3.png

6 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

You're post count made me curios ... clicking thru your 23 posts since mid of April here shows clearly what your purpose to open an account here is.

And this "15-20 year old code" is not a myth but just rubbish.

My "purpose" is that I have 25 years of flight sim experience and there are no words to describe my disappointment of having paid $200 for a software that is marginally better (and in some aspects worse) than the one I used 25 years ago.

An even bigger disappointment though is that people still defend this software. There are no bugs, they are features. It can't be fixed, because it's so special, and so on. It's really sad.

If the 15-20 year old code is a myth, how come we still see exactly the same very specific bugs that we had in FSX and to some extent even FS2004?

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, NickBo said:

My "purpose" is that I have 25 years of flight sim experience and there are no words to describe my disappointment of having paid $200 for a software that is marginally better (and in some aspects worse) than the one I used 25 years ago.

An even bigger disappointment though is that people still defend this software. There are no bugs, they are features. It can't be fixed, because it's so special, and so on. It's really sad.

If the 15-20 year old code is a myth, how come we still see exactly the same very specific bugs that we had in FSX and to some extent even FS2004?

Why'd you pay $200 lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickBo said:

Prepar3D v5: sure it's bad, but because of DirectX 12 you must of course lower your sliders

This is absolutely not true. I´am using all of my Settings as they where in 4.5 and some on step more Right. This wrong Information may come from People who still have a older GTX GPU which is just not made for DX12. 

I´am using the Sim sinde MS 5.0 and i can see a dramtic difference today compared to what it was 25- 30 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

1 hour ago, NickBo said:

I guess 25 years of experience wasn't enough to let you determine from screen shots and videos that there wasn't that much difference from the previous sim.  Or to make you realize that code-wise not that much would change.

I'm sure you've got a favorite flight sim.  But for some reason you find it to be more fun and more worthwhile to come here and bash P3D than to fly that favorite sim.  I won't speculate why.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Probably a good point to shut this one down.

Vic

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors