Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

P3Dv5 (HF2) Next hotfix in the next couple weeks.

4 hours ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

Video drivers need to be updated frequently because of new software/hardware and win updates, what excuse does P3D have?  I don't know of one game that needs a hotfix almost every month and still has CTD's and other issues which should have been addressed by beta testers. There's absolutely no excuse to release software that has tons of issues and have paying customers be your beta testers.

The day Microsoft release something that does not need fixing will be a FIRST. and they have millions of Beta Testers YOU.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

So you think every software release is perfect? Look at Nvidia video drivers. They hand out new ones like candy at Halloween.

P3Dv4 had nowhere near as much issues on release as P3Dv5... ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport.

2 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

P3Dv4 had nowhere near as much issues on release as P3Dv5... ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport.

Other than being converted to 64 bit which was important, what profound features were introduced with v4? Speedtrees that nobody used? Converting to 64 bit is tedious but it’s a pedestrian exercise when compared to incorporating new SDKs and major features.

P3d5 has all a new water code, sloped runways, new terrain, updated airports and navaids, DX12 and entirely new atmospherics that uses ray tracing. People kept whining for “a new engine” and they got it.

One has to understand that the P3d5 target audience doesn’t load the sim down with so many add-ons until it breaks. Considering that my experience with HF1 has been very good (as has the experience of others here), I don’t buy the theory that everyone is having serious problems with it. Some are, some aren’t. LM’s track record is excellent with regard to fixing real bugs. All I know is that a month ago I wrote that I wasn’t going to buy V5 because of the cost of upgrading add-ons and now I have all of them for little expenditure and they are running with improved performance.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

There's absolutely no excuse to release software that has tons of issues and have paying customers be your beta testers.

Of course you are correct. We can hardly blame the folks at LM for this. They are working with a limited budget and sometimes it is hard to attract qualified developers because many of the top guys and gals are working on the little known coming release of "World of Colon Cleansing II" which is due to release on the fall of 2020. Until that comes out, we are doomed to continue stumbling around the world using less than perfect software like Prepar3d and X-pain with no relief in sight.😷

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

So you think every software release is perfect? Look at Nvidia video drivers. They hand out new ones like candy at Halloween.

Please don't put my words in my mouth.  I never said software releases are perfect. I am referring to certain commenters around here who dismiss any CTD reports with the tropes "just turn down your settings" or "don't overclock your hardware."

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

So you deny those suggestion are good advice?

• Like 1

Just now, jabloomf1230 said:

So you deny those suggestion are good advice?

Again, where did I say that?

Some people may need to turn down their settings because their hardware is not capable. Some people may have poorly-optimized overclocks on their GPU or CPU. But more than enough users are reporting CTD's who actually have more than capable hardware, have their sliders already turned down, aren't overclocking anything and/or do know how to properly maintain their Windows environment that such suggestions are overly simplistic for this initial release of P3D.

Multiple developers have confirmed L-M is working on addressing issues and that the current release is not fully stable yet.  It sounds like that is being addressed. "Just turn down your sliders/buy better hardware" is not an acceptable long-term solution in that context. Thankfully, it doesn't appear L-M thinks that is a long-term solution either.

• Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

I never wrote any of those things that you state in your response either. But if I was one of the people having major problems with P3d5, I would first lower my image quality settings, stop OCing and eliminate complex add-ons to see if that helped.

• Like 1

But for many of us complex addons is what simming is mainly about. To many if our addons run fine on 4.5 with good image quality then why agonize over V5. In my case I think I purchased more from a curiosity stand point. I will keep it installed to see what improvements come but will use 4.5 for serious simming until. I m sure LM will eventually make a stunning platform out of V5. May take a while but I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year P3DV5 isn't the go to sim for most. We'll see but if not I may feel myself the proverbial fool parted from his money. Oh well. Wouldn't be the first time.

Vic green

I don't understand why they call these hotfixes when you need to completely remove and reinstall the sim to install them the right way. Why haven't thee guys come up with a way to patch this sim without doing that? It's preposterous.

• Like 1

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

36 minutes ago, J0nx said:

I don't understand why they call these hotfixes when you need to completely remove and reinstall the sim to install them the right way. Why haven't thee guys come up with a way to patch this sim without doing that? It's preposterous.

HF1 was the only hot fix I ever recall where they recommended you reinstall content and scenery, which wasn't even that much of a hassle. 99% of the time you just need to uninstall and reinstall the client component. 

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

HF1 was the only hot fix I ever recall where they recommended you reinstall content and scenery, which wasn't even that much of a hassle. 99% of the time you just need to uninstall and reinstall the client component. 

P3Dv5 HF1 recommending a full install this time

Installation of P3Dv5 HF1
Per (LM) Rob:

“We are recommending a full install this time around due to a fix for core AI which resides in the scenery component.”

“If your add-ons are installed using the xml method they will remain untouched during the update process. If you experience any issues from these add-ons after updating I recommend contacting the developer to see if there are any compatibility issues. “

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=137548&p=216028&hilit=recommend#p216028

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

1 hour ago, J0nx said:

Why haven't thee guys come up with a way to patch this sim without doing that? It's preposterous.

Actually they (LM) have done just that. The problem is that Dev's of many products insist on installing their products directly into the Sim. I would think that you all should be on their web sites with your complaints. Coming here to spew hate against Prepar3d every few days is indeed what's preposterous!

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The CTD's have nothing to do with settings because I get CTD's on the lowest setting possible. I also know my hardware (9900, 2080gtx) is not an issue because every other game I play runs flawlessly. I'm not bashing LM but surely LM must have knew about these issues but decided to release V5 anyways in the hopes they would get more user feedback and roll out hot fixes for the next year. So basically as a paying customer I have to wait months to actually use it? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I've read comments that this was expected because they made the jump to 64bit, etc.. but that's not an excuse. If they knew there would be major issues they should have never released V5 and should have focused on V4. I understand they want to keep prolonging the life of this sim and adding new features but the more layers they add, the more issues we're going to have.

Edited by YVRDXBLHR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1