Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

american astronauts back in space today

James Burke?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Mission Scrubbed until Saturday! 😒

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Takes me back to the 60s watching Apollo missions, in Streatham, London, huddled with friends watching on a b&w set with that BBC chap, James something.

Oh... yeah. Except for the extraordinary live view during and after ingress inside the Crew Dragon. That is a beautiful spacecraft inside and out. 

Whilst we won’t see the SpaceX tonight the ISS is currently over the South Pacific But will be visible from the U.K. in 37 minutes!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

55 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

James Burke?

Are you Magnus Magnusson by any chance, Mark, in another role(hint-hint)🤣? You must allow me some leeway for fading memory.

Edited by vc10man
  • Like 1

Shame it's been scrubbed, was all set to check it out, but you gotta go with safety in these kind of ops.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Whilst we won’t see the SpaceX tonight the ISS is currently over the South Pacific But will be visible from the U.K. in 37 minutes!

Thanks for that Ray, as I have just got indoors from a hopeful sunset shot. Will go look again, but the light has gone for a shot of the ISS.

Can't say I blame em scrubbing for weather, I was out this evening test flying my new RC MQ9 Reaper to check the balance of it before I put the camera on it. It flew, but that wind was making it a bit 'interesting' shall we say. 😄

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

Can't say I blame em scrubbing for weather, I was out this evening test flying my new RC MQ9 Reaper to check the balance of it before I put the camera on it. It flew, but that wind was making it a bit 'interesting' shall we say. 😄

Oddly enough when I got back indoors, a pal of mine from Maghull called, and I told him of the cancellation of SpaceX.Like you being an RC man,he suggested I photograph his drone with fancy lights and nobody would know the difference between it and a spacecraft🤣. I reminded him, not only was he locked-down, but I most certainly was not going to Maghull at night to photograph his drone. I'd rather see the real thing!

• Like 1

Spotted the ISS easily. Most interesting aspect is it passing into the Earth’s shadow. That’s enough excitement for one day!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well done, Ray, with your timing. Just seen at 23:01.Tracked it roughly above Chorley-Bolton before it faded away. Pity it had not been 20 minutes earlier, might have got a shot off, but it was too dark for a 600mm lens at f/6.3. Great heads-up, though.

• Upvote 1

Rick, best bet is to use a standard lens on bulb setting for 50 secs or so. Stars stay still and the white line of the ISS stands out.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Rick, best bet is to use a standard lens on bulb setting for 50 secs or so. Stars stay still and the white line of the ISS stands out.

Thanks for the tip, Ray, which I was aware of, but I was erring on the cautious side not wanting to be seen with a tripod, camera, a very fast standard lens f/2.8, cable release, etc, etc, hence was wishing for less darkness. I like to be wary of my surroundings.

Edited by vc10man

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Spotted the ISS easily. Most interesting aspect is it passing into the Earth’s shadow. That’s enough excitement for one day!

Yep, my son and I spotted it easily too. Second time I've seen it, first time for my son.

Actually, looking at my tracker on my phone, my daughter would have had it right over her head in Guernsey.

When you consider it's in orbit and how fast it passes over, it gives you appreciation for how fast 17000 mph is.

Edited by martin-w

I have seen ISS many times. I also saw the Mir space station many times, including once when the Space Shuttle Atlantis was heading home after a visit. Both objects were only around 30 seconds apart, so I saw them at the same time. That was the only time that I ever saw a Space Shuttle in orbit.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png