Sign in to follow this  
cwburnett

ORBX TrueEarth Northern California Released

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

That's a pretty negative take.

1. TE releases have been planned for a long time, they're rolling them out as expected.

2. You can use landclass if you want - yuk - but ortho with well-placed objects looks far better. That's why MSFS is going with that as a model.

3. Using MSFS for photoscenery isn't an option unless you're in the alpha.

4. P3D v5 with EA looks great with ortho. 

5. Inexorable "obsolence"? I don't think so. MSFS will be great I'm sure, but pretty sure it won't support active sky, A2A, PMDG, Leonardo MD-82, F1/RXP GTN750, Flightbeam airports, etc etc, at least not any time soon.

6. This is a P3D forum. Perhaps not the best place to be telling everyone that their sim is facing "inexorable obsolence", GC! 🙂

GC, you're a VR guy if I remember correctly. If so, are you really going to give it up for the new sim in town? No true VR flier would consider this!

P3D v5 + EA + VR + Ortho = looks beautiful, best there is right now and for the foreseeable future.

I've bought Orbx TrueEarth Northern Cal, just like I've bought all their other P3D and X-plane TrueEarth regions. At the current price, it's a steal. 

I respect your opinion, but my biggest issue with TE , as global-flyer, is that there is no way I could easily have local photo-scenery of (at least) 3 continents. I tried that with XP11+Ortho and ending up having almost 20Tb of spinning Hard-Drives. At least Ortho4XP was free, but there is no way I going back to that...

For sure P3D has great add-ons and I plan on keeping using it but, unless LM offers a similar streaming tech for photo-sceneries, I can't justify purchasing a couple TE regions.

Finally, regarding VR, while I am still an enthusiast for it, the Alpha for MSFS is so good that I have just accepted the fact that I would need to go back to 2D for a while (that is why I bought this 49 UW monitor, btw). Today I find myself using VR only when flying combat sims such as DCS.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

DCS with VR is certainly a top notch flying experience...

& Orbx XP11 TE (in VR) does it for me also (11.5b9 Steam Vulkan)...

& so impressed with P3Dv5 HF1 (VR) so far with all the Orbx Regions & LC with Base & Vector - a new P3D lease of life, right now...

of course, extra addons also really help!

How is it compared to the x-pane version ? Just as smooth and detailed?

I’m impressed by the x-plane version and fancy this P3D version but I’m running tight on disc space now do have to start being selective 

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

the msfs videos have not looked impressive to me.  Very choppy in 90% of them.  The screenshots look beautiful though.  Either way I'm planning on being with V5 for a while.  I'm curious to hear what people say about performance and blending in with payware airports for these trueearth prods.  \

PS: I realize MSFS is in alpha.  But I also realize there is no payware on it pulling it down either

Edited by micstatic
add line

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

What happened to TE Oregon?

Anyway, I have the XPlane version and I'm not about to purchase these sceneries again. I have come to the conclusion that what I currently have is as good as I'm ever going to get and I'm going to patiently wait for the new sim to be released.

I'm so ready for  a new sim.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, jon b said:

How is it compared to the x-pane version ? Just as smooth and detailed?

I’m impressed by the x-plane version and fancy this P3D version but I’m running tight on disc space now do have to start being selective 

For me it runs better than the Xplane version. Hoping SoCal runs as good as the xplane Socal too, which I’m sure it will, if not better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Excellent news, thanks Nick I’ll make the purchase!

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I would be interested in knowing how performance compares against the original Nor Cal scenery from Orbx.

Has anyone made a comparison yet?

For example what's the performance like when installed alongside Flightbeams's KSFO?

Regards

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

9 hours ago, cooperwarner8 said:

Does this replace the North California Product?

Yes- It replaces Global Base, Vector, Trees, Flora, Buildings, Landclass and Regions for the area covered by the particular TE area.  The only thing needed with TE are the individual airports.  I had the same question.  See this thread for a detailed answer. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/576440-orbx-true-earth-ball-of-confusion/?tab=comments#comment-4250209

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

5 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Guess they are pumping as much TE stuff as possible before the inexorable obsolence. 

And checking the pictures only reinforces my strategy going forward: keep using all landclass regions that I own for P3D and leave the photo-scenery stuff to MSFS.

This touches on something I've never liked about ORBX:  they start developing a scenery product, like their regional and openLC scenery, advertise and tease the product and tell their customers how they plan on covering the entire United States, or all of Europe, or in the case of openLC the whole world, within a few years. Then, instead of finishing, or at least making substantial progress on their already promised, heavily marketed and hyped scenery products, they start another massive, resource-intensive project like Trueearth, or X-plane development(which they said they would never do), which takes away resources from their other products.  When folks start complaining about the slow pace of the regional and openLC scenery development, the ORBX execs say that they are expanding and hiring more personnel, which appeases everyone for a while.  Several years later, they still haven't finished the openLC scenery and never even covered all or Europe or the U.S. with the regional scenery.

Now here we are, likely within 6-8 months of the release of MSFS2020, which from what I've seen covers most of the earth with photoscenery, and ORBX decides to release yet another photoscenery Trueearth product which covers a small area of the U.S. which is already covered by their regional scenery.

Whatever.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 2

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

3 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

This touches on something I've never liked about ORBX:  they start developing a scenery product, like their regional and openLC scenery, advertise and tease the product and tell their customers how they plan on covering the entire United States, or all of Europe, or in the case of openLC the whole world, within a few years. Then, instead of finishing, or at least making substantial progress on their already promised, heavily marketed and hyped scenery products, they start another massive, resource-intensive project like Trueearth, or X-plane development(which they said they would never do), which takes away resources from their other products.  When folks start complaining about the slow pace of the regional and openLC scenery development, the ORBX execs say that they are expanding and hiring more personnel, which appeases everyone for a while.  Several years later, they still haven't finished the openLC scenery and never even covered all or Europe or the U.S. with the regional scenery.

Now here we are, likely within 6-8 months of the release of MSFS2020, which from what I've seen covers most of the earth with photoscenery, and ORBX decides to release yet another photoscenery Trueearth product which covers a small area of the U.S. which is already covered by their regional scenery.

Whatever.

Dave

This.

I'm not interested in buying yet another version of mostly the same area. I'd much rather get areas that haven't been covered before. A non-TE or TE product for Italy I'd buy. A TE Washington that only covers part of the PNW region I already own? No.

I feel mostly the same about the endless stream of regional airports in the UK. I just don't care anymore.

Edited by flycln
  • Like 2

The reason I keep returning to this forum is for topics like this.  Like a lot of you I have all of Orbx including this in the non-tru earth.  I am using P3d V5 and would like to know if someone can post performance before with Northern California LC and After with True Earth.  That will help me make a purchase decision...Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

What happened to TE Oregon?

Ed Correia at Orbx said on Thursday:

We were ready to release but have received some newer orthoimagery for parts of the state that have much better colour tones. We are in the process doing some additional cleanup of that imagery and are planning to have it released towards the end of this month.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

That's a pretty negative take...

4. P3D v5 with EA looks great with ortho. 

P3D v5 + EA + VR + Ortho = looks beautiful, best there is right now and for the foreseeable future.

May I ask, what is 'ortho'?

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset