Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Can't get myself to enjoy my old sim

Yes, I know the feeling recently I just struggle to open P3D and spending an hour planning a flight hoping somewhere along the track the PC doesn't lock up.

I have been playing RDR2 which was exciting for about 3 weeks.. even that now feels like a chore!

I stopped buying any new addon and will wait for this new sim.

20 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

If I had a dollar for every hour spent in the sim but not flying, instead just configuring and trying to fix stuff; I'd have a weighty purse of cash.

Oh, I'll be glad to see the end of those days. They were dark.

Couldn't have said it better.

I have to admit though, that I've learned a lot about computers in the 10+ years I have been trying to cope with all the issues of FSX and P3D, their addons and (in)compatibilies. And that knowledge served me well also outside of my simming so I can't say I would have wanted to miss it all.

But I came to a point when I just got fed up with all that, and that was already a few years ago. The announcement of MSFS was a more than welcome light at the end of the tunnel.

Nevertheless I still enjoy P3D the best I can. I just stopped any tweaking, updating and installing addons as well as bothering with longstanding annoyances completely because I expect it to be a phase-out-model for me anyway. Ironically that improved my simming experience with P3D because I spend more time flying and less time tweaking now.

The time to phase-out P3D is now getting closer every day though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I know people are being sensitive about "over-hyping" MSFS2020, but honestly, I log in to either of my sims (xplane 11 or p3d), and just sit there. I might do a short circuit, and then log out again in frustration. The sims themselves are superb, of course, and I have enjoyed them to bits, but right now I end up watching replays of the new sim on my TV and find that ultimately more enjoyable than flying in my old sims. Anyone else feel this way? 

How do you log in to P3D? I haven't tried this before. 

As a RW pilot who mainly uses P3Dv5 for instrument work, EA is an absolute game-changer. I will be surprised if MSFS can hold a candle to it. The ATC system in P3D, on the other hand, blow, and I'm very excited to see how the ATC, weather and flight-planning is in MSFS.

Edited by mtr75
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

How do you log in to P3D? I haven't tried this before. 

Easy Tiger. Andreas does not have English as his first language. He's saying when he starts  P3D, etc.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 3

Yes. I haven’t started p3d or xplane since the new sim. They are just way too outdated and it’s time to move forward.

I bought p3dv5 just because I’ve always been a heavy simmer and need to have the latest.... p3dv5 is a new beast but it’s not the next gen sim we are looking for. 

Would love to share more but anyway not long left until you guys understand why. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I deliberately held off buying P3DV5 full well knowing flight simulator 2020 would be out this year.  Looking at the reviews of P3DV5 it still is not enough to convince me as I already have P3d V4.5 and didn't want to spend USD $60 for the new version when I could put that money on a totally brand new simulator.. not something which still has coding from 2006.

• Like 2

Since I have been in the alpha I deleted p3dv4, never bought 5 and only flew x plane twice and I have all the orbx TE NA regions 

• Like 5

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I thought I was the only one who lost interest in P3D when I saw MFS for the first time last year. I haven't taken a flight since.  Good to know I'm not alone.

Phew......

• Like 3

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

I’m feeling exactly that..

I was fine, very much enjoying p3d right up until they announced the release date, Since the announcement I started p3d up once for about 20 minutes and logged off..Not that it’s not a good sim as it gave me many years of enjoyment, but I think the buzz of the new sim being so close to release has really turned me away from p3d at the moment..

if the new sim turns out to be a bust, I’m certain my interest in p3d will return...If it turns out to be everything I’m thinking it will be, well then I may just clean the ol’ hard drive out. 

so for the meantime, the computer will be on holidays till august 18th!

• Like 2

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Just completed my today’s flights in the 2020 alpha. I know I am mean 😄

• Like 3

Lukas Dalton

Honestly I haven't had many problems with FSX crashing since release, not like some people have always been saying. I am hitting a wall with it though. It just seems more outdated and clunky with every FS2020 update that comes along. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

Seems like the P3D forum here is starting to slow down and am starting to notice the MSF forum picking up steam. I have a feeling those trends will likely continue with the exception of a short period of time when 5.1 is released for P3D. I have a feeling as more 3PD's release stuff for MSF, the conversion to it will increase quite a bit. 

• Like 2

Eric 

Today, I did some (4-5 hour) island hopping in the Caribbean with P3D v5 + full addons.
It was gorgeous, I see no reason to abandon it!

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So... my tale.

When FS2020 was announced last year, I basically stopped flight simming for a while.  However, recently, and partly due to anticipation of the new sim, I built a new rig. i9900k OC to 5.1 64 GB RAM fast ssd, the works.  The day that the preorder was announced, I decided that I was going to go crazy waiting for it to drop, so I bought the new p3dv5 and decided to reinstall my stuff, just to have something to fly in the meantime.

Now, to be completely fair, I am not a man that limited my intake of FSX/P3d addons over the years,  so we are talking over a hundred airports, texture packs, utilities, ATC, most high end aircraft and a lot of medium grade as well,  but most of that stuff isn't even available for p3dv5 yet anyway, so I decided to limit my install to just whatever had been officially updated, and I didn't even do what I usually do, which is try to make all of my addons work, even if not supported in the current sim (and I do have a good track record of making them work).

It has been...  A. Freaking. Nightmare.   fully two thirds of my addons aren't even ready for p3dv5 yet (and a lot are never going to be, which is another issue) and I'm still installing, testing, fixing incompatibilities, downloading, unpacking files, looking up serials and old emails. yelling at the monitor.  and the real kicker? the p3dv5 update was easier than the p3dv4 update was, things are a lot more streamlined, the base mesh and vector is good, so I'm not fixing elevation issues any more, and I've even stopped doing unauthorized hacks to get my stuff to work like I used to.  It's still horrible.  I cannot even imagine the thought patterns of anyone who would really prefer this sort of anarchy.  Now, a lot of this is only necessary because we're trying to patch over a really dated 14 plus year old sim engine, and I am really grateful to all those developers who over the years did their best to make flight simming into what it is,  but if you realistically have to replace every single facet of a sim before it is decent, how good is that really?

You might also be saying, "wow he's got a lot of addons, he must really be picky"  Not really.  for most airports, I don't need outrageous levels of detail,  I don't post with rage because they didn't model the new buildings at the airports or whatever, I just want the airport to look like an airport, and have the right general layout.  I don't need fslabs or pmdg's meticulous systems depth.  I'm cool with the Aerosoft or QW way.  I do not think I'm in the minority of simmers on this one.  However, in this community, ridiculous levels of detail are the only things acceptable.  so you have a choice of leaving it default, which is not good enough in current sims, or paying too much for detail I don't need. 

So, I'm hopeful for the chance of a new base level, achievable without extensive addon purchases, and I'm hopeful that the addon companies will be able to concentrate on giving us the absolute best for those that want it, without having to spend all their time coding reactive patches to match the latest p3d version, and I also hope that there will be an easy automatic purchase/install/update process that alleviates the hell of twenty different shop/serial/copy protection schemes/external configuration programs and how awful that makes a reinstall.  Looking forward to the new sim. maybe I'll be done installing the current sim by then.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 4