Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

Upgrade Yoke and Pedals?

I've been MS Flight Sim flying since the earliest days at Meigs Field.  I have a CH Flight Sim Yoke and Pro Pedals I purchased many years ago, at least a decade but probably more.  Everything still works and is reasonably smooth and linear.  I clean the parts and never have any problems with the yoke, throttle, prop, mixture, or pedals.

I am upgrading all my PC hardware in anticipation of August 18 and Flight Sim 2020.

I've read a lot about the newer yokes and pedals but wonder how much improvement I will experience by spending $750 or more to upgrade the controls?

I fly almost 100% GA, low and slow.  I like to hand fly and spend most of my time in mountains or other challenging terrain from the San Diego mountains north to Alaska.  I love to fly float planes in British Columbia but seldom venture more than 5,000 feet AGL.  Complex systems managed airplanes are not of interest to me, the most complex plane I fly is a Mooney with modern GPS. 

How much "improved yoke and pedal feel" will I gain by spending a bit of money.  Fortunately, a bit of money spent on flight sim is no big deal in our household.

I have the same general question about upgrading my Saitek ST290 joystick.  I don't really like the feel it gives me and just need a smoother stick to use with my A2A J3. 

Thanks for any input. 

Edited by TacomaSailor
add joy stick question

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

TacomaSailor,

I could have have written your post a couple months ago as the flying you do almost exactly describes my interests.  I very recently replaced my Saitek yoke with the VirtualFly Yoko + yoke.  So far, I’m loving it.  Aside from the feel of the yoke, including the smoothness and fluidity of the mechanism’s movement, which is a huge improvement over the Saitek yoke, the control of the ailerons and elevators is much finer than that of the Saitek.  I even found that I no longer need/want to use the FSUIPC slope adjustment/ calibration with the Yoko + because the control input into the sim (P3Dv4.5) seems much more natural without any additional configuration modification (FSUIPC slope adjustment).  I have no regrets replacing the Saitek yoke with the Virtual Fly Yoko +.

21 hours ago, TacomaSailor said:

I've read a lot about the newer yokes and pedals but wonder how much improvement I will experience by spending $750 or more to upgrade the controls?

What type of controls are you planning for?  Yoke and rudder pedals I see.  Any panels?  Considering use of a tablet?  Is $750 your budget?  Lot of questions, but please frame your request, otherwise you will continue to get recommendations that may or may not be out of your budget range.

image.png.ee5ee5d8b471f5c1551a5018d72f1348.png

Frank Patton

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 MOB; i7 4790 4.4Ghz; 16gb DDR3 2300; MSI GTX970 4gb Gaming 100ME, ASUS GTX 1070 TI Turbo 8GB, Coolermaster Pro 5 case, Corsair H100i

Former USAF meteorologist and ground weather school instructor; AOPA Member #07379126

There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit! - Benjamin Jowett