Sign in to follow this  
BamaKevin

Micro Stutters

Does the sim have micro stutters?  Are the days of spending more time tweaking than flying over?

Kevin Humphryes

there were stutters in many videos i saw.. but this could be due to OBS streaming etc.. only the alpha testers can answer this.. i'm not one.. 

flying with streaming vs flying offline - i would imagine less stutters flying offline if you have pre-downloaded the scenery.. also depends on if you're using HDD vs SSD i guess..

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

No it doesn't. That would be unacceptable for Asobo. Every video I've seen with micro stutters the creator has specifically said during or after that the stutters were only visible in the recording not when he was playing.

• Like 3

You do see them in the videos...now the problem is it's hard to judge if it's from the Simulator or a result of the compression/recording.

33 minutes ago, walloppy said:

No it doesn't. That would be unacceptable for Asobo. Every video I've seen with micro stutters the creator has specifically said during or after that the stutters were only visible in the recording not when he was playing.

I have added this post to my list...for later... 😄

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Janov said:

I have added this post to my list...for later... 😄

Another xplane developer brigading the flight simulator forum

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Theboot100 said:

Another xplane developer brigading the flight simulator forum

Two kinds of post we could do without :

Those from FS20 groupies which claim that  P3D and XP are dead

Those from XP or P3D groupies which say that Fs20 should be as bad as their favorite sim of today

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

seen it a fair bit in youtube vids, but it's very likely that most of the stuttering we see on those videos is as a result of recording stuff, since having to save each frame on the fly to a recording means your GPU is working nearly twice as hard as it would be without recording the stuff, and it has to write to a drive too which is another potential bottleneck that could also impact on the streaming. Anyone who makes videos of sims or games etc will tell you this.

Doesn't mean it won't stutter at all though. Obviously a good system and plenty of memory is the wise choice, but for slightly different reasons than has been the case with most preceding flight sims.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Agreed Chock. We're basing are observations on a moving target. I won't be recording "in-sim" but I have in the past with OBS and stutters were definitely introduced on the video side not the sim side.

Aaah, time - he will tell.

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

Two kinds of post we could do without :

Those from FS20 groupies which claim that  P3D and XP are dead

Those from XP or P3D groupies which say that Fs20 should be as bad as their favorite sim of today

That would make for totally empty forums! 😂

Personally, I like to think people who do that all the time on Avsim, also go up to total strangers in pubs and announce: 'my drink's better than yours'.

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

but it's very likely that most of the stuttering we see on those videos is as a result of recording stuff

I have had the same problems when making videos for youtube before - but had good results with that "Windows key + G" recording - here is a video I made for X-Plane, jump to 12:30 to see the takeoff without stutters.

(WARNING: X-Plane payware aircraft features in this video, watch at your own risk!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROgvcGRMLhA

So I am sure that these veteran youtubers would be able to record without stutters? I don´t really see any in other games on youtube, either?

Cheers, Jan (X-Plane IXEG 737 dev and part-time Laminar Research employee)

Edited by Janov

Depends on their production method. There's a number of ways to record stuff and people go about things in different ways and sometimes it has to change too, for example FRAPS could record FSX and P3D V4, but it couldn't record V5 because it was DX12 so I have to use ATI's own GPU screen recording feature for V5 videos.

Sometimes my youtube videos go through a lot of processes before they ever get to youtube, they can for example be passed through Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Media Encoder to step them down a bit, which is one render. Doing that can occasionally smooth out stuff imported from some of the cameras I have with weird codecs that Premiere doesn't like, then taken into After Effects if I'm faffing around with clips for whatever reason, which then requires another output render, then that goes into Premiere for the final NLE process and that's another render to get a master file, plus of course youtube also does a processing render on the master after that's uploaded.

That's a lot of opportunity to introduce issues in playback, not least because of the differences in frame rates for playback with the various renders. Even if people don't do as much of this post-process stuff as me, they're still going through a minimum of three renders for a typical youtube video if it isn't just raw footage they're uploading or streaming.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Some of  actual veteran youtubers say during the videos that the stutters are not there when they aren't recording.. why are you assuming what they should he able to do when they are saying otherwise.  

Given more time I assume they will figure it out. That or record on a different pc.. 

And also..  inb4 someone on a potato with settings on ultra running at 5fps complains about stutters on the 18th and Janov pulls put his 'list' and goes AHA! 

• Like 1

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

If they are using a modern GPU (most are) Nvidia shadowplay takes very little overhead due to the built in encoder.....and most of the broadcast/streaming software can use that same nvenc encoder to make the cpu/gpu hit fairly limited....not having played the alpha or the preview version...I could only guess that maybe these issues they seem to almost all be having could be a hard disk issue? Maybe the streaming of scenery on top of the saving of a high quality/low or no compressed video to the same disk could be a slight issue? I’d think most ssd/nvme drives could do this relatively easy....but I’m no expert.

I will say in the other major sims I don’t notice any real fps drop when recording for my channel with shadowplay. The only issue I had was in a stream once. I was bogging down....because I was streaming outside my normal hours of play and windows decided to download/prep the 2004 update. This was with OBS studio and the nvenc encoder.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor