Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

3rd Party addons only available via Microsoft Store?

8 Orbx Addons are available as of now for purchase and then use in MSFS20

xxd09

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@CaribbeanCLANK, I agree that 3rd party developers seem very positive about providing products for MFS. I can only suggest you watch that Aerosoft topic. It could be illuminating.

I did look at the topic...Mathijs didn't address your question directly. And if there is a commission, and the product's price is affected, and the price is the same on both stores ($25 on both Aerosoft and Microsoft) it's kind of a bummer. But if one place is cheaper, then someone is at a disadvantage.

Very interesting.

Edited by CaribbeanCLANK

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

42 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

it made me wonder if all 3rd party addons will only be available via the Microsoft Store

I feel it's worth stating for clarity that Microsoft Store and the in-game MFS Marketplace are NOT the same thing. Addons are proposed to be sold through the in-game marketplace, which would mean it's open to folks who bought MFS through Steam, and indeed Asobo have confirmed this in their recent stream.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I think the primary reason Microsoft decided to host 3PD on their in game store is primarily to do with the console market. I am guessing a large portion of their sales will be on the console side of things, and if they continue the trend of including an exclusive title for "free" with certain versions of their console then people will probably end up spending a few dollars on some cheaper payware before moving on to the next new thing that comes out. They will probably make most of their money in the first year of console release when everyone buys the shovelware, with pc users funding the sim long term. That's my guess anyways... I do like the idea of a centralised installation process for all content though!

Edited by High_Alpha

10 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I feel it's worth stating for clarity that Microsoft Store and the in-game MFS Marketplace are NOT the same thing. Addons are proposed to be sold through the in-game marketplace, which would mean it's open to folks who bought MFS through Steam, and indeed Asobo have confirmed this in their recent stream.

Thanks, I was just going to post something similar.  As someone who is about to pre-order on steam this thread initially had me concerned.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

8 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Mathijs stated Microsoft Store so that sounds like the former, not the latter. I can’t imagine the price of Aerosoft products will change depending on where you bought MFS.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

More convinced to wait and observe how this all transpires. A week or two post release will tell.

I expect that there have been some deals cut where MS will let you enter the MS2020 market but have to offer some level of support for their market place. I don't think we will ever know the answer to these questions. It makes a good bit of sense when you figure that the young kids and folks who are new to the hobby/game are used to dealing pretty much in the App store world. Not only that but kids needing Dad's credit card will be more likely to get Dad to put that info into a order to a MS App store than say Milviz or realair which the parent would not have a clue who they were. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t know what products ORBX are making available for MFS. Perhaps there are limitations or exceptions.

Just handful of existing airports at the moment. The only new item is a London landmarks package, I don't know if this is on a par and derived from TE GB South or a whole new product, I haven't looked that closely.

• Upvote 1

Ian S

38.jpg

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

All add-on content must be compiled into a custom package and installed into a separate add-on folder, no matter where they are sold.

Yes!!! Separate add on folder.  Finally someone is forcing devs to install outside the sim.  Haha - Finally my wish has been granted

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

This isn’t a new situation, Aerosoft have sold addons on Steam for years for fsx steam and xplane. Was the pricing different?

From what I am reading, this new Simulator thing is going to cost a whole lot of money for us to get anywhere near what some of us have already.

As pensioner, count me out until I win the Lottery.

Edited by IanHarrison
spelling

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

21 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

From what I am reading, this new Simulator thing is going to cost a whole lot of money for us to get anywhere near what some of us have already.

As pensioner, count me out until I win the Lottery.

Ian, sorry to hear this.......

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

... made me wonder if all 3rd party addons will only be available via the Microsoft Store.

It has been confirmed long ago that this is not the case. 

https://www.flightsimulator.com/july-16th-2020-development-update/

The Marketplace will operate under an Agency model, which means that you, as the content creator, will set the price for every piece of content you submit. Becoming a partner doesn’t alter your ability to sell your content on your own websites and storefronts. Just like with FSX, you can continue to sell your content outside of our Marketplace. Becoming a Microsoft Flight Simulator Marketplace Partner essentially unlocks another channel for you.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5