Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

787 Dreamliner Video from Squirrel

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

But we’ve been told for 6 months that this is God’s own sim. Based on what some alpha testers have been posting, people have deleted their X-plane and p3d installs. 

Now we hear the “it’s just a default” excuse being rolled out. The backpedalling seems strong on this sub right now.

This was always going to be the case. It’s just a sim, not a miracle. Keep P3D or X-plane as an option for your airliner flying for now. That 787 looks like fun, and i’m looking forward to testing it out, but it’s not the sort of product that instantly renders the PMDG P3D aircraft fleet obsolete, despite what some around here would have you believe.

Please provide a quote where a tester said the default plane would make a PMDG model obsolete. I haven't seen it .   As far as the world representation there isn't a sim that rivals it out of the box (XP, P3D, etc)

• Like 5

Semper Fi 

4 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

But we’ve been told for 6 months that this is God’s own sim. Based on what some alpha testers have been posting, people have deleted their X-plane and p3d installs. 

Now we hear the “it’s just a default” excuse being rolled out. The backpedalling seems strong on this sub right now.

This was always going to be the case. It’s just a sim, not a miracle. Keep P3D or X-plane as an option for your airliner flying for now. That 787 looks like fun, and i’m looking forward to testing it out, but it’s not the sort of product that instantly renders the PMDG P3D aircraft fleet obsolete, despite what some around here would have you believe.

Strawman argument. People are deleting other sims because they're tired of the lackluster graphics, 100s of mods and horrible performance. Not because of airliner fidelity from 3rd parties. No one has said that good third party developers of airliners are going out of business.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

5 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

You’re re-writing your own history. Nobody has said this is ‘God’s own sim.’ Everyone I’ve seen has said that it’s a generational leap (that it absolutely is), that you can’t expect too much from default aircraft (which you can’t), and that there will be problems but none are unreasonable (which is true). If you can find me a single person saying that default big jets will have anything other than workable systems I’ll eat my hat. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, joec63 said:

Please provide a quote where a tester said the default plane would make a PMDG model obsolete. I haven't seen it .   As far as the world representation there isn't a sim that rivals it out of the box (XP, P3D, etc)

“Out of the box”

That’s what i am talking about. No one in their right mind flies p3d out of the box. It’s a pointless comparison.

Go look at the p3d forum for the last few months. Plenty of alpha testers suggesting that that sim is dead. That’s why people have been proudly posting about deleting p3d etc

MSFS is great in some ways, but theres still a lot missing. No way the other sims become instantly obsolete on the 18th.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Nice one, take my comment out of context why don't you? and whilst you are at it, ignore this...

Quite apart from the fact that the 787 is not a 'default aircraft', it is one which you pay for to have it included in the Premium Deluxe version, which costs almost twice as much as the standard version, making it a payware aircraft. but the real point is, the default 787 doesn't need to have everything simulated, nor would it be reasonable to expect so, but it should capture the essence of the thing, and that's the glass cockpit with modern functuionality, i.e. an EFB which works, even if it just displays the ground map or something, otherwise what was it I paid 109 quid for, instead of 60?

What was it you paid £109 for instead of £60? Well, since you asked;

- Diamond DA40-TDI

- Diamond DV20

- Beechcraft Baron G58

- Cessna 152 Aerobat

- Cessna 172 Skyhawk

- Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner

- Cirrus SR22

- Pipistrel Virus SW 121

- Cessna Citation Longitude

- Zlin Shock Ultra

- Amsterdam Aiport Schipol (Netherlands)
- Cairo International Airport (Egypt)
- Cape Town International Airport (South Africa)
- O’Hare International Airport (Chicago, USA)
- Adolfo Suarez Madrid-Barajas (Spain)- Denver International Airport (Colorado, USA)
- Dubai International Airport (UAE)
- Frankfurt Airport (Germany)
- Heathrow Airport (UK)
- San Francisco International Airport (California, USA)

You’ve paid about £3 for the 787. If all you want from the premium deluxe is the 787, then get the basic package and put that £49 towards the inevitable 3rd party offering! Besides, what did you buy for £30 with a functioning EFB?

Edited by 2reds2whites

Just now, OzWhitey said:

“Out of the box”

That’s what i am talking about. No one in their right mind flies p3d out of the box. It’s a pointless comparison.

Go look at the p3d forum for the last few months. Plenty of alpha testers suggesting that that sim is dead. That’s why people have been proudly posting about deleting p3d etc

MSFS is great in some ways, but theres still a lot missing. No way the other sims become instantly obsolete on the 18th.

Rob,

Can only speak for myself and obsolete is a wild claim as  it comes down to personal choice. I still have an old rig where I fly my old sims from 20ys ago. I never understood the posts about deleting sims off the drive unless someone just needs the space. 

The new MSFS has a lot to offer and unlimited potential IMO. Cant wait to see how it evolves just like the others. Enjoy launch if you're getting it. 

Semper Fi 

3 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

“Out of the box”

P3D even with mods looks like butt. I mean P3D is dead once 3rd party airliners and other popular add-ons come to MSFS. For many it will be dead on the 18th but not for all.

2 minutes ago, Slides said:

Strawman argument. People are deleting other sims because they're tired of the lackluster graphics, 100s of mods and horrible performance. Not because of airliner fidelity from 3rd parties. No one has said that good third party developers of airliners are going out of business.

That wasn’t a strawman argument, what you’re doing is closer to that.

“100s of ‘mods’” - hyperbole, much? I run p3d with one addon, Activesky P3D.

”horrible performance” - that’s a ridiculous statement, both x-plane vulkan and p3d v5.1 are good performers. You’re literally saying this in a thread where a guy is getting 17 fps in a default MSFS aircraft on a cloudless day! Meanwhile, i can get 200 FPS in default p3d, and fly all day in 40 fps vr in a complex airliner (with systems that actually work properly)

I’m excited for the new sim, but the MSFS fan club certainly post some dubious facts at times.

• Like 3

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

13 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Based on what some alpha testers have been posting, people have deleted their X-plane and p3d installs. 

People were deleting their XPlane and P3D installs long before the alpha program started, based on a few videos and screen shots.  I could never understand this mindset. 

A few Sterling Examples of Humanity were predicting the demise of XPlane and P3D based solely on those same videos and screen shots, and they were doing it on the P3D forum which should never have happened.

The actual testers have been a little more realistic in their assessments.

And all along, even from the first video and screen shot, I've been saying, "Don't delete your old flight sim."

Hook

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 minutes ago, joec63 said:

Rob,

Can only speak for myself and obsolete is a wild claim as  it comes down to personal choice. I still have an old rig where I fly my old sims from 20ys ago. I never understood the posts about deleting sims off the drive unless someone just needs the space. 

The new MSFS has a lot to offer and unlimited potential IMO. Cant wait to see how it evolves just like the others. Enjoy launch if you're getting it. 

Agree with all of that. The thing that i don’t understand is deleting a sim you’ve spent thousands on based on a bunch of hype. Disk space is cheap as chips these days.

Don’t get me wrong, I also can’t wait to see how it evolves, and I will be taking the day off work on the 18th to spend some quality time with MSFS Premium Deluxe.

Oz

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

That wasn’t a strawman argument, what you’re doing is closer to that.

“100s of ‘mods’” - hyperbole, much? I run p3d with one addon, Activesky P3D.

”horrible performance” - that’s a ridiculous statement, both x-plane vulkan and p3d v5.1 are good performers. You’re literally saying this in a thread where a guy is getting 17 fps in a default MSFS aircraft on a cloudless day! Meanwhile, i can get 200 FPS in default p3d, and fly all day in 40 fps vr in a complex airliner (with systems that actually work properly)

I’m excited for the new sim, but the MSFS fan club certainly post some dubious facts at times.

If that's your only mod than your copy of P3D does indeed look like butt. Lol at XP being a good performer. Even with Vulkan, on my high end system I have to turn some settings to medium on XP. I'm less familiar with the latest P3D performance.

And you're comparing one unoptimized airliner in MSFS that is still a few days away from release to years of optimizations on those other sims that still look ugly. And let's not talk about the CTDs on P3D.

3 hours ago, Slides said:

How does it behave with TrackIR? That will tell us a lot.

I have no idea. But you could move around with the given controls and see how it behaves. If you had access. Maybe someone will do it.

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

The dubious performance we’re seeing is in a systems-light aircraft flying on a cloudless day...

System level has little to do with performance in this sim. The GPU is so heavily utilized that the systems don’t take it down. PMDG dev on their forums said the PMDG 737NG3 doesn’t even have a noticeable drop in performance at this early stage.

Also, to add to this, I think it’s ridiculous to be over critical of the sim at this stage considering it’s at its release and has years of development on the road ahead of it. These are default airliners we’re talking about! The second PMDG releases their 737NG3 around 90% of hardcore simmers will have no reason to turn back to their old sims. But we’re dealing with a default sim right now. It’s incredible what we get out of the box. I mean even the airliners seem to have more realistic systems than the default X-Plane ones (the FMCs for one far better match their real world counterparts). I can’t wait until the PMDG 737 drops for this platform, but until then, I’ll keep cruising around VFR in my Cessna (and if I really feel obliged to do an airliner flight, I’ve still got X-Plane installed with the Zibo 737, but I deleted a bunch of ortho scenery to make room so the sim looks pretty ugly in comparison... X-Plane doesn’t look half bad when it has ortho though!).

Edited by FlyingInACessna
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cloud coverage doesn't seem to have any effect on frame rates like it did in previous sims.  Yeah, surprised me, too.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

boys-fighting.jpg

• Like 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5