Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

How Long Are You Thinking Of Delaying Your Purchase?

I haven't spent time with FSX in about 4 years mainly due to graduate school and the loss of a high-end computer. For a while I was into X-Plane 11, but faded away. I just got a pretty good PC with mid-range hardware and look forward to MSFS. I will probably buy it in a couple of weeks. I believe it will be buggy at first like most new releases but will use the time before the first big patches roll out to re-learn all the key mapping, etc...My only dismay at this point is the lack of 3rd party aircraft, especially old heavy metal like the DC-3 or the PMDG DC-6. Hopefully these will be available within a year or so.

9 minutes ago, hangar said:

wow, that's a long friggen time. I'd think picking a plane/airport and choosing real weather option should only take a minute...that leaves alot of video fodder to sit through.

It's not that bad in practice.  Consider one minute of logo videos, a full minute or more to select aircraft, airport and weather.  That leaves two one minute sessions (one on each side of the selection screens) of watching progress indicators with gorgeous screen shots in the background and listening to music that can be turned off in the options. 🙂 

It's not that bad, really.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 hours ago, Boby said:

Running a I7 4790K @ 4,8 with a GTX980ti on WQHD. And to be honest I am not impressed with FS 2020. From what i have seen on videos the planes fly themselves: its a console clone which is very badly optimized. Be ready for an amazing load of "bad performance" posts after release. I am not going to spend 3000 - 4000 euro on the best hardware to run at 40-50 frames. So I will wait at least for a full year.

Well, we all do what we have to do. Personally, while you spend the next year waiting for perfection, I will be having a blast using this undoubtedly flawed, but spectacularly ground-breaking and unprecedented, simulator to explore the world in ways that were impossible until now. Peace.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

That leaves two one minute sessions (one on each side of the selection screens) of watching progress indicators with gorgeous screen shots in the background

So that is basically a placeholder for the situation's loading time I suppose?

XP can take awhile to load as well...but it's all at the front end when you first click the icon on desktop...once you finally load into main menu it's all pretty quick getting into cockpit from there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 757FO said:

I will wait until we have study level products such as PMDG/FSL/A2A, etc. available. The default aircraft just dont cut it for me, the scenery, weather environment, etc. is amazing and a leap forward for our hobby, but I am in no rush and I will continue enjoying my current sim... 

John

I can't say any better...

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

When I see reports of stutter free performance in VR at 45 fps and something above medium settings with the following hardware, I'm in:

i7-9700k   RTX 2080  16 Gb  HP Reverb

Otherwise I'm not interested.  Those are basic criteria for me in a usable sim.   It is the industry standard for performance that is currently available from Xplane 11.41, DCS, and even P3d v4.5 with reasonable hardware.

If MSFS cannot meet what I consider to be the present standard of performance in the sim world, no amount of eye candy or weather features would be worth it for me. 

I won't do VR with any stutters or anything less 45 fps and I won't use a sim without VR --at all.

Edited by TASCHMANN

54 minutes ago, hangar said:

XP can take awhile to load as well...but it's all at the front end when you first click the icon on desktop...once you finally load into main menu it's all pretty quick getting into cockpit from there.

The first progress indicator is for loading the base sim.  The second is for loading the situation;  your aircraft, airport, weather, scenery.

Oh, and I forgot 15 to 30 seconds worth of cinematic starting with a wide shot of the airport and moving in to focus on your plane.  This can be skipped but is worth watching.  It's included in the overall 4-6 minute timing.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

39 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

When I see reports of stutter free performance in VR at 45 fps and something above medium settings with the following hardware, I'm in:

Otherwise I'm not interested.  Those are basic criteria for me in a usable sim.   It is the industry standard for performance that is currently available from Xplane 11.41, DCS, and even P3d v4.5 with reasonable hardware.

If MSFS cannot meet what I consider to be the present standard of performance in the sim world, no amount of eye candy or weather features would be worth it for me. 

I won't do VR with any stutters or anything less 45 fps and I won't use a sim without VR --at all.

I think you'll be waiting a long time for that, from what I've seen.

X-Plane, DCS and P3D are the VR champs for now.

We'll see what Asobo's VR looks like later this year (or maybe next year if you don't have the right headset), but I suspect performance is going to be an issue. I'm not hearing much talk of people getting 80 FPS in the sim, which is what I'd like for smooth VR performance.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

36 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I'm not hearing much talk of people getting 80 FPS in the sim, which is what I'd like for smooth VR performance.

Yeah, but at least with the new Reverb VR headset everything will be a sharp and clear as it is on a good monitor! 😄 

(Don't hit me, this is actually high praise.)

Hook

Larry Hookins

"How Long Are You Thinking Of Delaying Your Purchase?"

Oh, as long as it takes me to re-install Windows 10 😃

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Got to see a bit of footage from my neighborhood.  There’s a doghouse behind my next door neighbor’s house, and they don’t even have a dog.  Refunded.

• Like 2

Maybe a delay until I hear some technical details on how the installation of the game is handled via Steam as compared to the MS Store, but I think that will come out during "hour 1", so this is likely to be a "day 1" purchase. (*I know the software is going to be identical, but I'm just curious how Steam will handle the install files vs. other Steam games vs. what I've seen with the alpha, etc. etc.)

I'll be keeping Prepar3D installed for what I might still use it for, but my experience over the past couple months says that there will be a LOT of flying in the new sim for me.

i7-6700, 32 GB RAM, GTX1070

1 hour ago, TASCHMANN said:

I

I sure hope I'm wrong but I don't think it's going to be possible to get the frame rates you are looking for in VR with high and ultra settings in MSFS using the highest resolution of the Reverb (G2) across the entire FOV for at least a couple of years and one (maybe 2) GPU improvement cycles. However, if Asobo takes advantage of the technologies to increase resolution just in the center of FOV, performance could be very acceptable in VR for many of us with mid to upper tier current systems.

From my experience in VR in Xplane and DCS, there is no way that either of those two programs would have good high-res VR performance if trying to display the number and complexity of objects plus the dynamic weather + lighting etc... that MSFS displays in high - ultra settings.

I have heard unconfirmed rumors that if your system runs FSX and P3D moderately well it will run FS2020 moderately well at least at lower graphics settings.  So even though my computer is 7 years old I took the plunge and will at least try it on release day.  I really hope it works and at least livable on lower settings.  I planing on a PC upgrade this Fall or closer to Christmas but if it does not work at all I might be forced to react a little sooner.  Just hope I can wait until one more evolution is computer hardware!

I’ll be delaying for as many seconds past midnight it takes me to start the download. On a serious note I’m going to play the game pass standard version for a few weeks to get a feel for how much I enjoy it and then probably plunk down $120 to support their endeavors in developing the platform.