Sign in to follow this  
mlmcasual

Impressions of MSFS2020 HDR on an HDR TV. Excellent.

Although I am unable to visual show you, I can testify that MS FS 2020 with HDR on a capable HDR TV is VERY well done and provides a dramatic visual improvement over standard Non HDR. HDR has several built in advantages over the standard 8bit SRGB color space.The difference is not only wider dynamic range of lights-darks, but an overall boost in contrast, color gamut, and color-tonal Fidelity (more color shades). I can vouch the HDR difference is day/night and vastly better with HDR in MSFS2020 vs without. The instruments are easier to read, landscape looks much more alive, the subtle shades within clouds is much more visible. The vibrancy of a sunrise/sunset on clouds is stunning. Once you see MS FS 2020 done properly in HDR, you will never want to go back. I am observing this on an 2018 samsung Q7. Turning HDR on and off and observing the differences. Stunning is an understatement.

I think MSFS2020 is one of the best implementations and reasons on WHY HDR (done right) can make a huge leap in visual and immersion. HDR is 10bit vs SRGB8bit means 1024 shades per primary color vs 256 shades... Four times more shades (tonal fidelity)!  This can be appreciated in FS2020 with cloud structures where you can see many more subtle tones. It's not just being able to discern the subtle wisps of clouds,  it's also the dramatic increase in color gamut that really brings life and awe to sunsets and colors.

I can also vouch that MS FS  20202 is doing TRUE HDR and not just SRGB artificially remapped to the HDR color-space (which some games do). You are getting a true HDR color gamut and  luminosity that makes the game so much more immersive and realistic looking.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the detailed review, this sounds really promising. Would it be possible to take a dark photo to show the highlight retention in the clouds? I'm particularly interested in that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am also using HDR10 mode on my Samsung TV with MFS2020 and can also vouch with the OP on how absolutely stunning the visuals look! Just make sure you enable HDR in Windows 10 as well!

Edited by captain420
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Yes, it's important to have a fully capable HDR processing to end hardware setup to actually get HDR.

1- On Samsung TV's, (at least on older ones) you must NOT have the input type set to "PC". PC input type will NOT translate an HDR signal. So input must be set to any other type, Cable, DVR, etc.

2- Windows 10 Must be have HDR turned on. If you don't have a HDR capable display, this will be greyed out.

4 minutes ago, mlmcasual said:

Yes, it's important to have a fully capable HDR processing to end hardware setup to actually get HDR.

1- On Samsung TV's, (at least on older ones) you must NOT have the input type set to "PC". PC input type will NOT translate an HDR signal. So input must be set to any other type, Cable, DVR, etc.

2- Windows 10 Must be have HDR turned on. If you don't have a HDR capable display, this will be greyed out.

My Samsung, I believe is a 2018 model, and I have it in PC mode. But HDR10 is working and supported.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

My Samsung, I believe is a 2018 model, and I have it in PC mode. But HDR10 is working and supported.

That is interesting, other Samsung models don't properly display HDR in PC mode, they will "read it" but not display it proper.  Have you tried changing your TV input source to something else? If not please do - Please try connecting an HDMI cable directly  your from your GPU to TV, make sure TV has " HDMI Deep Color." enable , and set your TV Source input to "Cable TV", and finally  making sure Windows  HDR is on...    Please try all that (if you haven't) and let me know.

My TV "will" work in PC mode and HDR turned on... BUT, PC mode on Samsungs remap the color gamut  and luminosity  to standard SRGB. The reason for this is because "PC" mode on modern Samsungs puts the interface into a TRUE RGB 8 bit mode with full 4:4:4 Chroma  (meaning no color compression). However HDR works at 10 bit but  at  4:2:2 Chroma  subsampling (color compression). That is the trade off to be able to get enough bandwidth over HDMI2 . There is no enough bandwidth on HDMI 2 to get 4K,HDR(10bit), AND 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling.....  so to achieve HDR, TV's use 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.     

• Like 1

Interesting, whats the exact model of your TV? Mine is 2019's model RU7100

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru7100

If only my PC didn't weight 70lbs with all the hardware in it, I'd drag it in the living room and test it out.  I bet it would look unbelievable on my new LG CX.  Moving a water cooled PC around is not  an easy task though 😞 

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

You need good cables to do this as well, a lot of HDMI cables don't work right even though they claim they will, just depends. I'm not able to do it either because I never could find an HDMI jack that can pass it correctly over the distance I need, even using fiber optics, it breaks at the jack. Though there are ways I could rewire it with a custom jack, but don't feel like pulling it out of the wall right now. Might move my PC into the HT room to try it.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

57 minutes ago, mlmcasual said:

That is interesting, other Samsung models don't properly display HDR in PC mode, they will "read it" but not display it proper.  Have you tried changing your TV input source to something else? If not please do - Please try connecting an HDMI cable directly  your from your GPU to TV, make sure TV has " HDMI Deep Color." enable , and set your TV Source input to "Cable TV", and finally  making sure Windows  HDR is on...    Please try all that (if you haven't) and let me know.

My TV "will" work in PC mode and HDR turned on... BUT, PC mode on Samsungs remap the color gamut  and luminosity  to standard SRGB. The reason for this is because "PC" mode on modern Samsungs puts the interface into a TRUE RGB 8 bit mode with full 4:4:4 Chroma  (meaning no color compression). However HDR works at 10 bit but  at  4:2:2 Chroma  subsampling (color compression). That is the trade off to be able to get enough bandwidth over HDMI2 . There is no enough bandwidth on HDMI 2 to get 4K,HDR(10bit), AND 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling.....  so to achieve HDR, TV's use 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.     

I have a Qled Q7 too, it´s on PC mode and HDR works pretty well (must be turned on  on windows of course)

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

12 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

So to turn this on, you simply need to enable HDR in Windows 10 Display control panel?

You need an HDR capable monitor/TV/display device of some kind.  

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

14 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

So to turn this on, you simply need to enable HDR in Windows 10 Display control panel?

And in the in game settings of course. And your display needs to be able display an HDR signal. And not all displays are created equal when it comes to HDR. OLED is likely the best followed by QLED and VA. IPS lacks behind in this area.

• Like 2

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

45 minutes ago, Slides said:

And in the in game settings of course. And your display needs to be able display an HDR signal. And not all displays are created equal when it comes to HDR. OLED is likely the best followed by QLED and VA. IPS lacks behind in this area.

Thanks... I use an HDR capable Sony VA TV which is not the greatest for HDR contrast range but it does the job.  My main problem in the past with HDR gaming is that it really didn't make much difference in picture quality vs non-HDR (possibly due to my TV) and it made it impossible to share screen shots because they looked terrible when viewed on an SDR display (via the web). But I will give it another shot here. Thanks.

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1