Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

ATC is a bust...

20 minutes ago, Aceman2020 said:

They can just truncate quote to 3 lines when quoted. You should not be able to edit someone quote.

I have never seen a forum where you can't edit someone's quote. 

• Upvote 2

Tyson Rose

35 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

That may be what it stands for, but flying IFR means using the ATC to get you on your course, keep you away from other traffic etc.  And then at the end they vector you around to either capture the ILS or until you have a visual on the runway.

Correct!

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

45 minutes ago, JughedJones said:

I did two flights last night the the TBM.    One from KPDX to KSFO and one from LOWI to EDDH. 

Both were visually stunning flights, but moreover, the ATC was perfect.  Gave me perfect step by step instructions and lined me up to final at the proper altitude to catch the localizer.   

I was incredibly happy with the whole thing.  

Sorry there's no tips here, just want to chime in and say, with a SIDS and STARS trip, it went off without a hitch. 

All my flight was with the CJ4, I wonder does that have something to do with it.  First it was the Longitude now this...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

59 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

That may be what it stands for, but flying IFR means using the ATC to get you on your course, keep you away from other traffic etc.  And then at the end they vector you around to either capture the ILS or until you have a visual on the runway.

IFR means flying by instruments and not looking out the window for landmarks. ATC separates traffic. But again, if you need ATC to ‘get you on your course’ or need it to ‘find the runway’,  holy sheesh kabob. You don’t need a GPS to do any of that. Of course ATC vectoring currently would help if needed and be realistic depending on your location, type of airport. 

I can’t see how a default ATC though could ever cover the world with different systems used and be reasonably accurate. For the payware developers me thinks. 

4 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I can’t see how a default ATC though could ever cover the world with different systems used and be reasonably accurate. For the payware developers me thinks. 

I don't get why we are so eager to pass the buck and let Asobo off the hook here. There's room for them to improve within reasonable expectations.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

For a 2020 title I had expexted a much better ATC,

I will even say that it is worse than FSX/P3D.

• Like 1

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX4070 12GB, 1 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home, Meta Quest 3

6 hours ago, molleh said:

I don't get why we are so eager to pass the buck and let Asobo off the hook here. There's room for them to improve within reasonable expectations.

I see your point. I wonder though if we’re asking almost the impossible from a default atc? The time and effort involved I think would be better spent on the flight model, weather issues and so on. 

13 hours ago, Aceman2020 said:

I agree from my limited ATC experience so far. I guess they will vector you in based on the wind so you might have to switch approach plates on the fly...which is annoying.

Hopefully one can use ATIS and/or a METAR to make sure that it's less of a surprise. Can you not also request a runway from ATC?

I never thought that editing a quote was strange (my emphasis above for example) - yes it can be used maliciously, or for amusement, but one usually gets picked up on that kind of trick.:cool:

Default ATC has always tried to vector you onto the localiser or a visual approach when you're IFR ever since FSX at least.. :dry:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

15 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Two words or one name - PilotEdge

pilotedge supports msfs2020 now?

I haven't done much yet with the ATC, but I have 3 problems so far with it:

- Constant frequency changes, sometimes just keeping me for a few seconds on a frequency before they change their mind again.

- ATC harassing AI traffic at cruise altitude that they are 20k feet above their assigned altitude and need to descend.

- They always speak in feet, and never use flight levels, even for very high altitudes

3 minutes ago, cantremember said:

I haven't done much yet with the ATC, but I have 3 problems so far with it:

- Constant frequency changes, sometimes just keeping me for a few seconds on a frequency before they change their mind again.

- ATC harassing AI traffic at cruise altitude that they are 20k feet above their assigned altitude and need to descend.

- They always speak in feet, and never use flight levels, even for very high altitudes

Everyone understands feet. Not everyone who will be using this program however, especially newbies, will know what the heck a flight level is.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

29 minutes ago, atlflyer said:

pilotedge supports msfs2020 now?

Soon, they have a client ready to go, but Simconnect which allows their client to talk to MSFS is currently broken. Vatsim is in the same boat.

Chris

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Everyone understands feet. Not everyone who will be using this program however, especially newbies, will know what the heck a flight level is.

Well I guess its more a "There is no transition altitude implemented" thing.

More important would be the implementation of atmospheric pressure in hectopascals. This one I really find annoying. 

13 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Soon, they have a client ready to go, but Simconnect which allows their client to talk to MSFS is currently broken. Vatsim is in the same boat.

also going to be hard when the taxiways are not marked correctly in the game. Going to have to stare at the airport chart to figure out which way to go. 

57 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Default ATC has always tried to vector you onto the localiser or a visual approach when you're IFR ever since FSX at least.. :dry:

Your right on that, here's something to test out, jump into a plane put in a dep/arrival but the arrival is a towered airport and let ATC do it's thing it will vector you into a LOC with a transition. That I did find it did very well, however problems seem to arise when requesting a diff approach.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD