Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

MSFS 2020 or P3D v5

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

P3D as a viable simulator platform with a commercial future is pretty much dead. 

The only path forward is with MSFS 2020.

Personally I strongly suspect P3D will continue as a true commercial and academic product but I think it's pretty much dead as a comsumer product.

• Like 2

@GalaioSilva, you’ve reported this topic instead of commenting on it. Please post your comment again.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Even owning all Fslabs products, will keep x-plane (a more easy to maintaing sim) and jump to MSFS with the Fenix A320 release and PMDG 737. Tested P3D 5.3, sure it has more stability in the volumetric clouds and EA, but i don't want to keep three platforms, prefering x-plane instead with Toliss and Q4XP.

If you are an old time simmer with a system configured the way you wanted, a bunch of scenery and payware aircraft is hard to make a switch to MSFS right now because the offer is not on par. I get it. If you want to star simming now, I can't see how you can get anything other than MSFS, is a no brainer, is the cheapest of the bunch and works out of the box more than fine for a new player. In time when you are more experienced I'm sure MSFS will be mature enough to get everything you want.

I don't get the animosity between one group or the other, for me a new player MSFS is the best thing since sliced bread, for you with a decade of experience in simulation and thousands of dollars invested MSFS has a lot of shortcomings. We can be both right.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GalaioSilva said:

Even owning all Fslabs products, will keep x-plane (a more easy to maintaing sim) and jump to MSFS with the Fenix A320 release and PMDG 737. Tested P3D 5.3, sure it has more stability in the volumetric clouds and EA, but i don't want to keep three platforms, prefering x-plane instead with Toliss and Q4XP.

I believe there will probably continue to exist good reasons to keep P3D, specially for those with good add-ons that will not migrate to MFS.

OTOH, don't forgte X-Plane 12 will more sooner than later be released, probably in open beta, and I do believe it'll bring good reasons to consider as yet another good platform.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

26 minutes ago, Tva said:

If you are an old time simmer with a system configured the way you wanted, a bunch of scenery and payware aircraft is hard to make a switch to MSFS right now because the offer is not on par. I get it. If you want to star simming now, I can't see how you can get anything other than MSFS, is a no brainer, is the cheapest of the bunch and works out of the box more than fine for a new player. In time when you are more experienced I'm sure MSFS will be mature enough to get everything you want.

I don't get the animosity between one group or the other, for me a new player MSFS is the best thing since sliced bread, for you with a decade of experience in simulation and thousands of dollars invested MSFS has a lot of shortcomings. We can be both right.

Since FS 4.0 here 🙂. Thats the reason why i keep X-Plane and MSFS (to start the long time port to)

Maybe in 5 years hoards of dev teams will devote all of their output to 20 year old tech and many of the new MSFS simmers will convert to these ancient sims but I'm fairly confident that neither will happen.

So if I was the OP I'd choose the sim with a viable future - MSFS.

Cheers 

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Are we not tired of this topic? 😅. I mean at the end is a personal choice to which sim you want to fly with 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

34 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Are we not tired of this topic? 😅. I mean at the end is a personal choice to which sim you want to fly with 

Yeah, but I think some people that are returning to flight simulation have a legitimate question to ask, since they are making an investment in some ways. Not only is the person investing in the flight simulator itself, but the assumption is, they may also purchase additional add-ons for that simulator.

If I told you that developers are leaving a specific simulator, meaning it's questionable if they will even support that simulator in the future with their add-ons, would you want to put your money down for that simulator?

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

Exactly.
13 pages of mainly MSFS users justifying why they think their new iPhone, sorry flight sim, is great and why any other flight sim is terrible, while using outdated points.

Occassionally, this is punctuated by a counter-argument from a user from a 'legacy' flight sim user on why MSFS is terrible, while also using outdated points.

MSFS isn't an arcade game, but it isn't ready to take over from a fully mature sim like P3D, just yet.
P3D isn't just FSX with some make-up thrown at it, that can only be enjoyed if one lowers their expectations to 2006 levels. Neither is it 'dead' as a platform, but it would be wrong to think that the consumer-level market hasn't significantly shifted.

That should be the end of it, for...
spacer.png

😁😁

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Yeah, but I think some people that are returning to flight simulation have a legitimate question to ask, since they are making an investment in some ways. Not only is the person investing in the flight simulator itself, but the assumption is, they may also purchase additional add-ons for that simulator.

I know and I get it. My issue is, this topic has been repeated many times with no conclusion. Each camp will have their own strong views. In this thread many (including myself) are biased towards MSFS. Meanwhile, when you read the same thread but in P3D or XP forums, the folks there will be biased towards P3D or XP and goes on.

My point is, everyone has their own choice, even if they use GTA to fly, so be it as long they are happy with that 😄.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

26 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Exactly.
13 pages of mainly MSFS users justifying why they think their new iPhone, sorry flight sim, is great and why any other flight sim is terrible, while using outdated points.

Occassionally, this is punctuated by a counter-argument from a user from a 'legacy' flight sim user on why MSFS is terrible, while also using outdated points.

MSFS isn't an arcade game, but it isn't ready to take over from a fully mature sim like P3D, just yet.
P3D isn't just FSX with some make-up thrown at it, that can only be enjoyed if one lowers their expectations to 2006 levels. Neither is it 'dead' as a platform, but it would be wrong to think that the consumer-level market hasn't significantly shifted.

That should be the end of it, for...

I want there to be diversity in the range of consumer sims available - different sims do different things well and that's a great thing for simmers - but there's also a limit to the number of different products consumers and devs can support. Conversely maybe an expanded player base will allow more sims to be supported at once or maybe it won't.

We will just have to wait and see.

Edited by Matchstick

16 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

I know and I get it. My issue is, this topic has been repeated many times with no conclusion. Each camp will have their own strong views. In this thread many (including myself) are biased towards MSFS. Meanwhile, when you read the same thread but in P3D or XP forums, the folks there will be biased towards P3D or XP and goes on.

My point is, everyone has their own choice, even if they use GTA to fly, so be it as long they are happy with that 😄.

To be fair though, this topic was posted from August of 2020.  It's coming close to 1.5 years since this topic was posted and so much has changed since then.

Back in August of 2020, there was no evidence that 3rd party devs would leave P3D en masse. Back in August of 2020, there wasn't even a half decent airliner for MSFS.

Fast forward to today, and numerous 3rd party devs have left P3D, only doing the minimal support needed for their existing products on P3D.  Today, there are two half decent airliners for MSFS in the FBW A320 and Aerosoft CRJ, plus a very very good vintage airliner in the DC6. 

In addition, the imminent release of the PMDG 737 is likely to come within the next few months, and the Maddog and Fenix A320 are likely going to be released sometime in 2022.

When the question was asked in August of 2020, there was a stronger case for P3D and the case for MSFS was not as strong.  Fast forward almost 1.5 years later, and there is a weaker case for P3D and a much stronger case for MSFS.

Edited by abrams_tank

5 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Conversely maybe an expanded player base will allow more sims to be supported at once or maybe it won't.

The irony is, MSFS has expanded the civilian flight simulator player base to its highest player base ever, albeit most of those players are using MSFS.  The civilian flight simulator market is as healthy and vibrant as it has ever been and is arguably at a peak now.

More players using MSFS means more money for 3rd party devs in the home consumer civilian flight simulation market (provided these 3rd party devs are smart and are making products for MSFS).

Edited by abrams_tank