Sign in to follow this  
jaydor

3rd party Developer's to be held to account

9 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

other strange tangent

But it's not an aircraft. /s

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Well, the SDK does have some ridiculously annoying bugs, and I hear even more so for aircraft, but it appears you can get aircraft working, it's just people are still wrestling with a few issues when it comes to specifics. Since I'm not an aircraft designer, not sure the specifics as I ignore those threads, but it is usually mechanics and avionics variable headaches more than modeling from what I did "accidentally" read in forums.

If people think the bugs in the game are rough, try using the SDK. It can be incredibly frustrating sometimes, even for designing airports, though technically it does work, but just barely.

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

8 hours ago, SceneryFX said:

If people think the bugs in the game are rough, try using the SDK. It can be incredibly frustrating sometimes, even for designing airports, though technically it does work, but just barely.

At least with MSFS itself, complaints about non-working features such as the autopilot are mash ups of real bugs and pilot error. The SDK is just plain buggy. It's not bad enough to stop one from creating assets. It's just annoying to use efficiently. First you wait for the sim to load (yawn), the you wait for a flight to load. Then you wait for your project to load. Finally it's time to make some edits and you get a lockup and CTD. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

At least with MSFS itself, complaints about non-working features such as the autopilot are mash ups of real bugs and pilot error. The SDK is just plain buggy. It's not bad enough to stop one from creating assets. It's just annoying to use efficiently. First you wait for the sim to load (yawn), the you wait for a flight to load. Then you wait for your project to load. Finally it's time to make some edits and you get a lockup and CTD. 

Something similar happened to me with the Flight Unlimited 3 Editor (FLED) when I started upgrading the taxiway lines, lighting, and AI pathways at all of the airports and airfields in the high resolution Seattle scenery region (they were in a bit of a sorry state after Electronic Arts decided to release the game early). Unfortunately, the PC that I was using at the time did not enjoy working with FLED, and the sim would often crash when I was editing stuff. There was one particularly memorable day when my PC crashed SEVEN TIMES in succession after I tried to move a SINGLE taxiway node at one of the airports!! :angry:

I am rather proud of the fact that I carried on to complete the entire task with odds like that stacked against me :smile:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The sense of entitlement from some people in this thread and other threads discussing third party products is overwhelming.

Until you’ve tried to create an airport from scratch, or an aircraft from scratch, what idea do you have on how many buckets of blood, sweat and tears it takes to create something that this self-righteous and entitled group of know-it-all’s decides is ‘good enough’.

Wow. 😟

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

This thread should be if you don`t like the third party addon DON`T BUY IT.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 minutes ago, pmanhart said:

The sense of entitlement from some people in this thread and other threads discussing third party products is overwhelming.

Until you’ve tried to create an airport from scratch, or an aircraft from scratch, what idea do you have on how many buckets of blood, sweat and tears it takes to create something that this self-righteous and entitled group of know-it-all’s decides is ‘good enough’.

Wow. 😟

These aren't gifts that are given away for free, they are products that are sold by established companies where certain standards and quality control are expected. Thus, they are right to be reviewed and criticized when necessary.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pmanhart said:

Wow. 😟

Are you kidding?

So much of the 3rd party stuff for X-Plane/P3D is ***t! When I buy a plane advertising its functionality and it is riddled with bugs or other problems as I have done many times its disappointing. Just because it takes many buckets of blood, sweat & tears doesn't mean the stuff should be sold as unworkable junk.

Take the Carenado C182 for MSFS, it appears to be strictly eye candy and a weak port over from one of the other sims. It hardly justifies the price tag. Not claiming to be buggy though as I wouldn't waste money on it.

Edited by tpete61
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure why it's assumed that developers like PMDG have to raise the bar with MSFS2020... It's unlikely that they will, especially when you look at a majority of the playerbase in MSFS2020.  I do hope that they bring in something revolutionary, but I also try to keep my expectations realistic.

The simple fact is that in many areas Microsoft has now raised the bar (and expectations) to the level of modern graphics standards, a point quite a bit above where this genre had/has stubbornly languished for years.

Of course, that was partially due to the technical limitations of our aging sims themselves, and probably also due to the size of the niche and the income derived not necessarily being of the level to inspire risky expenditures into cutting edge technologies.

But another part of it was that this was a captive market, and pretty much everyone gradually became complacent.

Customers had no place else to go, after all, so why change?

Boom.

That quiet state of affairs was shattered comprehensibly by Microsoft's abrupt announcement of its upcoming sim, signalling that after more than a decade, time was resuming its normal progress and change was in the air.

Part of that change, is a new level of base graphics and a resulting unwillingness to in any way fall below that new base. (technical prowess is, as for every new sim, a work in progress)

History is on the move again. Market forces are on the move again. Fierce competition is on the move again, and our old standbys will scramble to adjust to the new level (as expected and even demanded if necessary) or they wont, and will face the fate of any normal company unable to keep up in a competitive market.

In the meantime, like many, I'm watching and deciding where my money will go, and it won't be to those not up for the challenge.

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 8/30/2020 at 7:34 PM, ShawnG said:

Third party developers are already held to account.  With money.  The ones who do not deliver value make less of it in the long run.  The tricky bit is that things that some don’t want, others are happy to pay for.  Which means that really this thread is more about holding other consumers to account for not enforcing the bogus and subjective quality standards of some self-important simmers.  Basically, abacus is out of business, because they were universally hated, and Carenado (one example) is still very much in business, and that is because enough people like what they do.  Deal with it.

Exactly, Carenado delivers what I think is worth my money. Tough that it’s not up to *your* standards or value but it’s my money and I choose how I want to spend it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tpete61 said:

Are you kidding?

So much of the 3rd party stuff for X-Plane/P3D is ***t! When I buy a plane advertising its functionality and it is riddled with bugs or other problems as I have done many times its disappointing. Just because it takes many buckets of blood, sweat & tears doesn't mean the stuff should be sold as unworkable junk.

Take the Carenado C182 for MSFS, it appears to be strictly eye candy and a weak port over from one of the other sims. It hardly justifies the price tag. Not claiming to be buggy though as I wouldn't waste money on it.

Then don’t buy it... read reviews before purchasing... ask others what they think about it...

Be a smart consumer...

• Upvote 2

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Just now, pmanhart said:

Then don’t buy it... read reviews before purchasing... ask others what they think about it...

Be a smart consumer...

I wish the in-sim marketplace had a place for in-depth customer review instead of anonymous stars..........

Might have to read Steam reviews of released add-ons, as well as wait for Youtube, etc.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I wish the in-sim marketplace had a place for in-depth customer review instead of anonymous stars..........

IMHO the vague anonymous stars are there for a reason... and it’s not to dissuade you from making a purchase, it’s to give a false sense of security when making a purchasing decision.

Pretty much the norm in all in-game or first-party marketplaces...

Edited by pmanhart
  • Like 1

13.jpg

Personally I like the satellite imagary. Its nice seeing what is really there in the world and its the most accurate overall imo. I dont want to go back to land class and generic texture world.