Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Another review about the Scenery

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?21239-KerrSpectives-So-What-About-The-MSFS-2020-Scenery/view/1

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Removing a contentious word
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

a) Why did you title this thread ‘An honest review...’? Are you suggesting other reviews, or reviews which differ from this one, are dishonest?

b) The tldr for this review is ‘the scenery’s great, but it’s not perfect’, which I think few would argue with. However at the end the reviewer laments “the fact that for a year Microsoft hyped this product up like we would never again need another scenery addon. Rightly or wrongly, I expected error-free perfection, or at least darn close to it.” When did Microsoft ever directly or indirectly say MSFS’s scenery is so good we will never need another scenery add on? 

The problem is in that last line: “I expected error-free perfection”. And that’s the problem with a lot of the criticism, it’s just a lazy attempt by detractors to say “see, they said it was going to be perfect and it’s not, so it’s failed and you should come back to P3D” etc.

Yawn.

• Like 27
  • Upvote 5

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

6 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

“see, they said it was going to be perfect and it’s not, so it’s failed and you should come back to P3D” etc.

... as is the purpose of this thread. 

• Like 10

Just now, dukeav said:

... as is the purpose of this thread. 

Yes, I think we all know the OP😄

• Like 6

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yawn..  There is a whole lot of wasted energy from a certain sect of this community running around yelling "STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE" in long winded posts.

• Like 19
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

15 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

However at the end the reviewer laments “the fact that for a year Microsoft hyped this product up like we would never again need another scenery addon.

It sure has been fascinating to see people's hopes and dreams slowly evolve (in their minds) into promises made by Asobo where in the published material these promises are nowhere to be found. And when you ask for a link, silence ensues.

Edited by Kopteeni
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Interesting article, perspective and expectations being a central topic. 

A key point for me, was the reference to 3rd party scenery, as Orbx for example. A concern would be the integration of the 3rd party areas if/when ASOBO update scenery.

I have airports in P3d which have two sets of runway markings, one from LM and one from a third party. Bgl exclusions don't always work, necessitating delving into folders and files to correct errors. 

Personally, I'd rather MSFS be a single scenery product. When I move into it, I don't want to be spending hundreds on add on scenery (again!).

My expectations are somewhat lower than younger simmers. I was thrilled 30+ years ago with a green earth, blue sky and wireframe Cessna! 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks Gerard. Now I'll definitely ditch MSFS and go back to those other sims... Not

• Like 11

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

NY is fantastic in both sims.  We should be lucky to have the priviledge of soaring the virtual skies in high fidelity environments no matter the platforms. It is a good time to be a flight simmer.

kaELMyS.jpg

51Tjsf3.jpg

• Like 7

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

In another post you said on your friends PC you did not like the night lighting up high, well its going to be fixed and it could be this month, also the live weather winds etc. I remind you we are only 3 weeks in. This sim needs little adding to it unlike P3D, that needs any airport you wish to fly to, A weather engine for weather ASCA in your case for clouds, a shader your spend hours tuning, countless PR ...the list goes on. This out of the box is a new world and needs very very little. Not airline ready I agree but I have so much to see and do I dont miss even the FSL and you know that's a lot coming from me. I am buying is a few airports and will add to them all at a much lower cost than P3D. Probably as they don't need to do all the areas around the airports.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Please, somebody, come up with An Dishonest Review to compare and balance things out then 😄

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 4

I thought that the article was fair and positive.

One  thing that I have noticed looking in the bing map app and bing on the web Is that there is often additional data that the AI could use and seems not to.

e,g if you look at Cardiff in the uk.  

In street mode bing on the web has the 3D cities option which for Cardiff shows building footprints and heights and even has some low resolution 3D models of significant buildings.

Using the map app you can view Cardiff in birds eye view.  The resolution isn’t good enough for photogrammetry but could the extra data help the AI pick better buildings from it’s available set?

Edited by SteveFx
  • Like 2

I thought some of his more informative words were further down the thread, replying to a someone very down on the new sim:

"In my article, I was drawing attention to aspects of the scenery that still need attention. However, using stock P3d with FSEarthTiles, and using stock MSFS 2020 is like comparing a push bike to a Ferrari.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. The new sim is brilliant, but the execution of some aspects of the scenery urgently needs to be re-worked. But I would not go back to the old home-made route."

He's not wrong..

G

• Like 2

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

In another post you said on your friends PC you did not like the night lighting up high, well its going to be fixed and it could be this month, also the live weather winds etc. I remind you we are only 3 weeks in. This sim need little adding to it unlike P3D, that needs any airport you wish to fly to, AS for weather ASCA in your case for clouds countless PR ...the list goes on. This out of the box is a new world. Not airline ready I agree but I have so much to see and do I dont miss even the FSL and you know that's a lot coming from me.

If you remember : a couple of months ago I wrote that If MSFS was able to be smooth with jetflying and support Prosim I would be among the fiirst  to buy it.

It will take at least 4 months to see an enhanced SDK. And as I pointed out with default jetflying stutters appear in the outside views.

There are a lot people thinking that this level of eyecandy + complex addon jetliners still result in supersmooth flying. If complex addon jetliners take away a lot of CPU performance than there is less left for lots of eyecandy and still being smooth.
A faster graphics card with more VRAM will help but the CPU remains the same. There will always be a bottleneck...

The link that I posted was a review like I have posted links before. Some people are not commenting on the review but rather like to spent their time writing about the poster.. 🧐

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0