Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

So I thought about firing up P3D and/or XP last night...

Just now, FlyBaby said:

The point is MSFS looks much better

Looks looks looks. People's mind set. You want Pretty or realism, of course both. Tis the age old question. Carando made a very successful business model out of ..Pretty.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I had made this video during Tech Alpha in regards to LOD Radius issues in MSFS and short the radius is with missing building detail at a given distance:

MSFS still has a ways to go when it comes to LOD Radius.

Cheers, Rob.

Btw, are you breaking NDA?

Are you allowed to show stuff from alpha?

• Like 6

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

Hmm..and no melted trees and buildings either Rob!😄  I flew out of KLAS in MSFS last night and to be honest the city looked ghastly.  I have and currently use both sims but I do prefer having a city that doesn't look like it was just blasted with a nuke.....and LOD setting at 200 makes no difference for me.  That being said...the approach into KLAX was beautiful at sunset with a low layer of fog along the coast.  Unfortunately I paused the sim at 10k feet for 5 minutes and came back and unpaused only to have the CJ4 dive into the ground.  I assume Active Pause in MSFS doesn't work??

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

43 minutes ago, Novation said:

Then why are they here? 🙄

Evidently to continue to grant you additional opportunities to have the last word.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I assume Active Pause in MSFS doesn't work??

Use pause on and pause off instead of Active Pause. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

54 minutes ago, Novation said:

Haven't we got better things to do 🤪

Fixed that for you.  Food for thought.  Division is bad.  Flying whatever you want = good.

And, this thread won't end well.  In before the lock.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Adrian123 said:

Looks looks looks. People's mind set. You want Pretty or realism, of course both. Tis the age old question. Carando made a very successful business model out of ..Pretty.

I'm sure if Asobo released a sim with p3d scenery, people would still be complaining 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobJC said:

I was tempted to fire up P3D and/or XP to get a bit more training in.

I still have XP for the Helos.

XP's low level flight (under 3,000ft) when looking down at the 3D modeled buildings etc and traffic (especially at night) is really good. Landing Helos on top of buildings / back of ships / and oil rigs is awesome and I could fly Helos for hours in the sim.

With that said, I have not been back to XP since the release of MSFS2020. I want to say there is something about MSFS...but...there are many things about MSFS that keep me engaged, even through the bugs / mishaps.

As much as I like Helos, flying planes in MSFS2020 in areas that I know...that "look like" areas that I know...is a new level of immersion that keeps me hitting the MSFS icon after booting up the PC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I had made this video during Tech Alpha in regards to LOD Radius issues in MSFS and short the radius is with missing building detail at a given distance:

Cheers, Rob.

You normally tweak the LOD in P3D way beyond the normal UI setting along with Autogen etc., also what LOD is MSFS running 200 ?, set MSFS to 900, then lets see a like for like that would be great Rob, ty.

We wont talk about how bad the water looks in P3D or there's no weather, again it looks so much better in MSFS. But you cannot tweak P3D to levels of LOD that normal PC would not even think about then just use a "normal" setting in MSFS and say like for like. Very unlike your normal professional like work. But I get the impression rightly or wrongly, from even before release that you don't like MSFS, might be your strong ties with LM.

So please give us one of your amazing works with MSFS LOD at 900. Also the earth is not covered by Orbx TE.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

the mountain XP and P3D need to climb to come close to the technological tour de force that MS

To be fair, a majority of the mountain is in the form of 2 petabytes of satellite imagery and photogrammetry that we are given access by way of azure servers and the internet.

If you turn off online mode completely you see what the sim looks like "without it's makeup".  

It's also what we would be left with if MS ever pulls the plug.  

This makes it a more fair comparison.  

A good place to try this out is fly around SFO and the surrounding area.  MSFS still retains the accurate building road and vegetation placement, but looks much more painted on.  Also, all the buildings are autogen, with the exception of POI's.    So cities tend to become a sea of gray broken up by generic buildings.  But it's still pretty impressively complete.  I would fly offline MSFS 2020 before Vanilla FSX any day of the week.

19 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

So please give us one of your amazing works with MSFS LOD at 900. Also the earth is not covered by Orbx TE.

his video is also not up to date its from the tech alpha.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

To be fair, a majority of the mountain is in the form of 2 petabytes of satellite imagery and photogrammetry that we are given access by way of azure servers and the internet.

If you turn off online mode completely you see what the sim looks like "without it's makeup".  

It's also what we would be left with if MS ever pulls the plug.  

This makes it a more fair comparison.  

A good place to try this out is fly around SFO and the surrounding area.  MSFS still retains the accurate building road and vegetation placement, but looks much more painted on.  Also, all the buildings are autogen, with the exception of POI's.    So cities tend to become a sea of gray broken up by generic buildings.  But it's still pretty impressively complete.  I would fly offline MSFS 2020 before Vanilla FSX any day of the week.

Man please. If Ms turned off their servers 5 years from now, I can say I got my monies worth. I don't know why we would fly offline to compare when the online aspect is apart of the base game 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, devgrp said:

Man please. If Ms turned off their servers 5 years from now, I can say I got my monies worth. I don't know why we would fly offline to compare when the online aspect is apart of the base game 

I'm just doing this to compare apples to apples, so to speak...  One of my purchasing considerations was could I enjoy this sim if they turned off the scenery faucet.  And the answer is a resounding yes.  Even with photogrammetry off and satellite imagery off, I can still easily fly over and recognize the building which represents my home.  Something impossible to do with FSX and it's random building/tree placement.

It should also allay the fears that some have that the game would be "useless" if Microsoft pulls the plug.  I am sure they would release a final patch which would turn off the online validation and leave us with what we have on our hard drives, which BTW is still pretty substantial....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Oof. This is literal proof of how far ahead MSFS is with its rendering tech. Your focus on LOD is so far off base that's it's actually embarrassing.

• Like 13

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

I was afraid this thread was a bad idea. 

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro