Sign in to follow this  
nosaj_armstrong

Icing Removal

Hi All

Pardon my ignorance, I'm struggling to solve this and it's probably a VERY easy fix. Anytime I fly in icing conditions with the A320 and CJ4 the aircraft ices up. Visible ice shows on the note/body of the aircraft. I turn on wing and engine anti-ice and it remains visible. Any ideas on what I am missing?

18 minutes ago, nosaj_armstrong said:

Hi All

Pardon my ignorance, I'm struggling to solve this and it's probably a VERY easy fix. Anytime I fly in icing conditions with the A320 and CJ4 the aircraft ices up. Visible ice shows on the note/body of the aircraft. I turn on wing and engine anti-ice and it remains visible. Any ideas on what I am missing?

I believe airframe icing that isn't on a protected surface (wing leading edge, tail leading edge, props, windshield, etc) will remain on the airframe until you descend into non-freezing temperature air. Basically just like in real life.

However, the amount of icing on unprotected surfaces is pretty dramatic in the sim compared with real life. That said, I don't think that airframe icing impacts performance in-sim. I think the performance in sim is only impacted by icing on the protected surfaces...

• Like 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

1 hour ago, Donstim said:

If you want to ask Asobo if they will be fixing this by improving the realism of icing depictions in the sim, vote here:  https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fix-icing-bugs-improve-realism-and-increase-functionality/281536

This will become important for me when the Realair Turbine Duke (TDV2) becomes available.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Icing happens way too quickly and in conditions that aren't even conducive to icing.  I flew through a cloud at 15,000 feet and my plane looked like it had been sitting in Antarctica for a week.  I voted.

8 minutes ago, harrry said:

Icing in this sim exists outside of cloud......not realistic.

Well, there are two type of icing structure and induction. Super cool water droplets can appear not necessarily in the clouds. For example in high humidity 80% or more and 70F outside could be a perfect candidate for carb icing! As far as structural icing you necessarily have to be in a cloud. You can fly under cloud and pick up freezing rain. You can climb through "warm" cloud into clear air with freezing temperature and still form ice

Here is good vid about icing.

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

9 hours ago, nosaj_armstrong said:

Hi All

The ice modelling on A320 is wrong, I'm talking about visible ice on the aircraft here. Any Airbus with that much ice on the wings would just fall out of the sky. Just turn on the deicing and get on with your flight.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

12 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Well, there are two type of icing structure and induction. Super cool water droplets can appear not necessarily in the clouds. For example in high humidity 80% or more and 70F outside could be a perfect candidate for carb icing! As far as structural icing you necessarily have to be in a cloud. You can fly under cloud and pick up freezing rain. You can climb through "warm" cloud into clear air with freezing temperature and still form ice

Here is good vid about icing.

In this case I am am talking about structural icing.....not induction icing or car ice which can occur with high humidity at fairly high temperatures.  I mostly 

the case i mentioned had only mid level cloud some 7000 or more feet above.me. The temperature was -when 6 C.  THis is definitely not conducive to icing and even if it was it would be very light.  

I have only flown a little and it was a long time ago and in Australia never ran into any but flying from Nelson to Wellington I was nearly bitten by it....once bitten never again,   🙂

I realise in Europe or the US conditions are much more prone to it,.

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

1 hour ago, andyjohnston.net said:

By default the icing is only for looks and doesn't affect the performance of the aircraft.

It does . I think there is setting for that in realism 

2 hours ago, harrry said:

In this case I am am talking about structural icing.....not induction icing or car ice which can occur with high humidity at fairly high temperatures.  I mostly 

the case i mentioned had only mid level cloud some 7000 or more feet above.me. The temperature was -when 6 C.  THis is definitely not conducive to icing and even if it was it would be very light.  

I have only flown a little and it was a long time ago and in Australia never ran into any but flying from Nelson to Wellington I was nearly bitten by it....once bitten never again,   🙂

I realise in Europe or the US conditions are much more prone to it,.

Well, in real life you can see visible moisture even when not in the cloud. Unfortunately in sim you can’t see it unless it’s rain.

Edited by sd_flyer

Is there a way yet to completing remove the icing effect - both visual and in terms of aerodynamic effect?