Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Legacy Flight Model More Realistic Than Modern

2 hours ago, wim123 said:

and not mine..lol

amasing how we can get so contradictory expereinces.

i play with xbox controller and have no issues with controlling. (modern flight model)

good to hear.....I'm using the saitek yoke and throttle combo and I don't have any issues controlling but that wasn't always the case.  I cleared the defaults and remapped the elevator/pitch controls which seemed to fix some weirdness I was having early on

Edited by Isaiah53six

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

Strangely enough, the x-box controller works, but is overly sensitive on all axis in my case. Even lowering the ( now working) sensitivity didn’t do a whole lot, just a tiiny bit. Same went for the center sensitivity. Makes for tiring control, having to constantly wiggle the stick in its internal dead-spot to keep level.

And to boot, the buttons have a serious bit of delay. Annoying. Còuld be my USB3 card, though.🤔

On the other hand, my Cessna Yoke works like a charm. Though the game stìll has some problems recognizing the throttle, mix and prop as ‘ analog’ , despite seeing a controllable throw in the axis-screen. Sometimes it can immediately be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the USB plug ( game séems to crash/lock, but after a few seconds comes back to life) In other cases waiting for a minute while idling does it. Odd, vèry odd.

But, once it works, it keeps working without hitches.

Edited by stefbuik

Very intereseting indeed. Xbox pad works quite well but is indeed too sensitive when you'r nearing full deflection. And the rudders are basically useless, so i will defo try to switch flight models to legacy. Thanks for the tip

• Like 1

Options>General>Flight Model

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm not sure what the Legacy model is actually modeling. I've 'imported' a couple of FSX aircraft into the new sim, including going through the lengthy exercise of translating all the config and airfile data and tables into the MSFS format. I found their flight characteristics to be quite similar in the new sim with the Modern flight model as they were in FSX/P3D (not exact, and thrust in particular was off, but otherwise quite close). With the Legacy model though, they were unflyable.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 minute ago, odourboy said:

I'm not sure what the Legacy model is actually modeling. I've 'imported' a couple of FSX aircraft into the new sim, including going through the lengthy exercise of translating all the config and airfile data and tables into the MSFS format. I found their flight characteristics to be quite similar in the new sim with the Modern flight model as they were in FSX/P3D (not exact, and thrust in particular was off, but otherwise quite close). With the Legacy model though, they were unflyable.

I guess this is something we could ask Asobo/MS in the next Q and A. It seems nobody knows what it's for.

One version should be for those using linear potentiometer controllers and the other for Xbox controllers. Perhaps that WAS their intentions?

The problem is the very twitchy nature of FS2020, at least for GA planes.  You've got to turn your sensitivities way down and even then things are a little too twitchy.  Go into the sensitivity for every flight axis and turn it down to -50% and see how that feels.  You still just have to be much smoother with your controller.  

This is something we've been hoping for Asobo to fix since day 1.  If not them, then hopefully 3rd party aircraft can help fix it.  

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

It might be worth trying to fine tune controls be adjusting a couple of settings in the flight model file. I have done this on a number of aircraft and have them tuned in very nicely. Below is a link with some guidance on how to alter elevator and rudder effectiveness. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

11 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Back in the 90's with my initial flight training I was banned from flightsims by my instructor as he called them "navigation simulators" and said they taught people bad habits, especially in flare and landing.

The current sim seems better though the default Cessna's remain oversensitive to approach speed and tend to float.  However the one really unrealistic thing that has carried over from older flight models is the insane amount of elevator authority at low speeds. You can pretty much do an Immelmann with too much back pressure whereas in the real thing the yoke is pretty much in your chest at the end of flare.

Have you tried adjusting your control sensitivity ?

To be honest re your flight instructor - she was either really inexperienced or had her head up her @ss or was on a power trip over students. Bad habits - bs. I started flying for a living in the mid 1970s, found flight sims in the min 1980's and thought what a fantastic tool plus it was fun. It's been very helpful over the years right up to retirement. Now it's for fun.

I think once mfsf2020 gets a little more development time under its belt, some decent add-on aircraft appear, weather aspect gets sorted out, it will be very good.

That's why I prefer realistic control peripherals. If I can't use a yoke and pedals or a well tensioner joystick I wouldn't enjoy it. Yoke/stick, Pedals, Quadrent, or not at all. Flight dynamics is indeed core but how you tactically connect to them is a thing to.

I've used both Modern and Legacy, and neither one I find to be satisfactory, control settings aside.

For example, I often run crosswind landings at an on-shore airport.  In XP11, a steady 16kt crosswind with minimal gusts acts as it does in real life flying: the plane (GA) steadily pushes off track and aileron and rudder are required to maintain centerline.

In MSFS with the same wind setup, regardless of the flight model chosen, the airplane is all over the sky.  It's as if there's little actual wind, but ridiculous gusts.  The nose of the aircraft will be repeatedly thrust anywhere from 10 to 45 degrees off center, as if the nose is being hit with Thor's hammer, first one direction, then the other.  This happens frequently, perhaps 4-5 times on short final.  Pitch variations are present as well but not nearly as bad.  I've not found it possible to set up any sort of even semi-realistic crosswind conditions.

I'm not sure if it's due to the flight model or the weather model (it's certainly not the controllers), but I've decided that MSFS is a good for navigation practice and looking pretty, where ground reference (including crosswind) and maneuver practice is best done in XPlane.

Edited by jackdleach

Has anyone experimented using the latest version of FSUIPC? Maybe setting all controllers in that program will help?

Thanks

What I find particularly difficult to understand about these over-sensitivities with the XBOX controller is that these controllers are designed and built by Microsoft itself, the same company that produces the sim. It's not like "Fred's Controller" won't work well with the sim. It's Microsoft's own controller -- the same controller that's going to be the predominant controller used throughout the world once the XBOX version of the sim is released. And, again, it's not like some new technology has to be discovered to make the XBOX controllers work well. I used this same controller for years with P3D (and many other games) with no issues at all. I just don't understand.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.