Sign in to follow this  
Jikul

Long-EZ finally released for MSFS!

Once this has the FM sorted and autopilot, I'll be getting this. What a great sight-seeing plane it must be.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

About autopilot here - no. Most of Long-EZ hasnt this. Its a Ultra Light GA KitPlane, you dont need this and sorry - dont be lazy. This plane has trimms! Elevator and (Dino add it additionally) ailerons. So trimm this plane. You can set up it as near hands off. Use manual and trimm and will be ok on long flight.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

About autopilot here - no. Most of Long-EZ hasnt this. Its a Ultra Light GA KitPlane, you dont need this and sorry - dont be lazy

The playboy billionaire I am when I sim in my huge hangar of planes can afford to pay someone to fit one😅

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I am of the opposite opinion and wouldn’t even consider having a Long EZ, or any extreme range airplane, without an Autopilot. Sure you can trim a perfectly rigged airplane for hands off flying for maybe 10 seconds at a time, but when you consider the endurance and range of the Long EZ most pilots opt for AP assistance. Btw, I have never flown a perfectly rigged airplane. None of the 50+ planes in my logbook were even close to being able to trim for hands free.

I try to remind folks this is a flight simulator and a desk flies a little different than the real world version that we have copied. Sure we can hit Pause or ESC and go pee, make tea, or coffee, or grab a notepad and jot down something to do or remember or we can continue our simulated flight on autopilot.  To each his own.

For those that wish to know more about the Rutan Long EZ, here is a nice, long article with pictures.

https://www.kitplanes.com/buying-used-long-ez/

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Just to put to rest this Yes/No on the AP for the Long EZ, I contacted an expert for his view. Please read the email I received a few minutes ago. The last sentence tells the story I have been stating since the first post.

Hi Ray,
I have 4500 hrs on my Long-EZ and have been multiple times to Alaska, South California, Bahamas & the Canadian Martimes.

The most important additions I have found are: Trio auto pilot (have wing leveler only), coupled to GPS, electronic ignition and fuel computer (flow & fuel remaining).

The Long-EZ is the perfect long distance traveler for me.  Use the AP/GPS once and you'll probably wonder how you ever got along with it.  

Terry Schubert 
Central States Association Newsletter Editor Emeritus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, YoYo said:

About autopilot here - no. Most of Long-EZ hasnt this. Its a Ultra Light GA KitPlane, you dont need this and sorry - dont be lazy. This plane has trimms! Elevator and (Dino add it additionally) ailerons. So trimm this plane. You can set up it as near hands off. Use manual and trimm and will be ok on long flight.

As person who did a fair share of ferry flights without autopilot IRL I disagree with you. Yes most of the planes can be flown hand free in smooth air and VFR condition, but only to the certain extend. Rough air and  you can forget about not touching a yoke. Also hand flying for more than 4 hours takes its toll pretty quickly. Also as we age we become a creatures of comfort 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

@YoYo

I think the statute of limitations has passed... the Long Easy I flew under the Sunshine Skyway a couple of decades ago had a rudimentary AP. With its efficiency and performance, it was perfect for long cross country flights where a simple AP was MOST WELCOME.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

4 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

You guys can go on Dino's webpage and express your opinion about AP in Long EZ Feedback post

https://www.facebook.com/Indiafoxtecho-594476197232512/

I posted the reply At Dino’s FB page from the Central States Long EZ Association supporting adding AP/GPS.

Ray

• Like 1

I sent emails to 2 Long EZ owners asking their thoughts on using an autopilot. Both have now replied and both recommend having an autopilot.

2 for 2. Hmmm that is 100% for AP from owners.

here is the reply from Mike Beasley,

Hi Ray,
The Long EZ is an excellent choice for long-range trips.  Many pilots use autopilots because, as you state, it really allows you enjoy the ride without having to continually hand fly the aircraft.  Many pilots like the Trio autopilot (https://www.trioavionics.com/Experimental.htm) and many use the autopilot servos and features with their Dynon and Garmin systems. 

I have a Dynon HDX system in my Long EZ and I have the Dynon autopilot, although I haven't installed the servos yet.  My buddy has it installed in his RV-7A and loves it.   
Cheers,
Mike

20 minutes ago, raymar said:

Many pilots like the Trio autopilot (https://www.trioavionics.com/Experimental.htm)

Out of curiosity I just checked the price of autopilot system on that website. Only $3K to add autopilot on a real airplane? That's cheaper than a decent PC to run MSFS.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, FlyIce said:

Out of curiosity I just checked the price of autopilot system on that website. Only $3K to add autopilot on a real airplane? That's cheaper than a decent PC to run MSFS.

Everything for  experimental is 2-3 times cheaper!

32 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Everything for  experimental is 2-3 times cheaper!

If the same plane was being used by the military for scouting or something they would want $US800 just for the mounting bolts.

This seems to have popped up on the MS Marketplace in game for me now.

Not sure if other people already had it but my game was not, but now is finally showing it.

Autopilot is coming per developer update

122858726_3950000758346689_2972231845823

• Like 1