Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

"melted" buildings is a cause of?

1 hour ago, marsman2020 said:

If you turn off photogrammetry entirely the autogen buildings are pretty good in many instances, and the melted buildings are avoided.

No. Absolutely NO!  Sorry for shouting.  Beam yourself to KESN, my local airport, witness how it is 95% melted candles, then come up with photogrammetry, autogen, and any other combination of settings that brings about any change.  I challenge you!  Been there, done that, exhausted all attempts.   I have found several other airports in the same condition.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, jpe828 said:

Definitely bandwidth too... I have 100 MBPS and you can see everything loading in... because the streaming data is not coming in fast enough. Look at task manager. It shows 2 MBPs... which is word not allowed poor. I am sure the streaming quality has a lot to do with seeing stuff as blurry, melted. In my case photogrammetry often looks like black shapes too. Not loaded in properly. 

Yes, I've thought all along that the streaming scenery could be the big detriment to this sim.  Hopefully not, but stuff like we're talking about here could be a warning.  I may end up storing quite a bit locally for this reason.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

No. Absolutely NO!  Sorry for shouting.  Beam yourself to KESN, my local airport, witness how it is 95% melted candles, then come up with photogrammetry, autogen, and any other combination of settings that brings about any change.  I challenge you!  Been there, done that, exhausted all attempts.   I have found several other airports in the same condition.

I checked out KESN and did not see a problem. I saw a typical small airport with clean-cit, crisply drawn autogen buildings and no "melted candles". Same with the surrounding towns. Looked good to me. In fact, I have yet to see any airport in MSFS with a melted-down appearance. Are we talking about the same sim program?

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

The same Frank. This is what I see (most settings on ultra at 4K with a 2080ti)

9Cr09pE.jpg

What settings are you running at? What does you network speed and latency say? Any rolling cache?

Edited by DylanM

I loaded up San Diego today and the building textures are a little “melty” but the underlying structures are fine. From 1000’ up it looks pretty darn good. I’ve seen the apocalyptic looking buildings before though when download speeds were not sufficient to fully load the needed detail. I haven’t messed with manual cache. Maybe that will help?

Chris

27 minutes ago, cobalt said:

I checked out KESN and did not see a problem. I saw a typical small airport with clean-cit, crisply drawn autogen buildings and no "melted candles". Same with the surrounding towns. Looked good to me. In fact, I have yet to see any airport in MSFS with a melted-down appearance. Are we talking about the same sim program?

Please grab a Windows screen capture and post in this topic.  Bring the area into view when on the ground and parked in Parking spot 1. or at RWY 22, then press in combination the Windows key, shift key, and S key, then drag to define the borders of the image.  Post back here.  Very interested in the images you post.  Can you top this?  I get the same on two different systems and have confirmation from two other members.  And so far no contradicting images.

image.png.fbeabed794b91ce533f21962a74725b5.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

21 minutes ago, DylanM said:

The same Frank. This is what I see (most settings on ultra at 4K with a 2080ti)

9Cr09pE.jpg

What settings are you running at? What does you network speed and latency say? Any rolling cache?

From this distance the airport is not even visible.  Please land your airplane and then show what you see.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Also depends on your flight profile.  Flying low and fast will cause you to cover more ground and provide less time for the scenery to load it's final LOD level.

I find the best Photogrammetry performance at around 2000 to 3000 AGL in the C152.  At this altitude, the C152 goes slow enough to allow the stuff to load in and resolve to it's highest level.  

Edited by wthomas33065

Ah that's not the photogrammetry "melted candles" that the OP is describing (and what I tried locating in the surroundings). It's missing autogen. You can open a ticket and see if it can be fixed in a future update. 

N4WhGMY.jpg

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Please grab a Windows screen capture and post in this topic.  Bring the area into view when on the ground and parked in Parking spot 1. or at RWY 22, then press in combination the Windows key, shift key, and S key, then drag to define the borders of the image.  Post back here.  Very interested in the images you post.  Can you top this?  I get the same on two different systems and have confirmation from two other members.  And so far no contradicting images.

Edited by DylanM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jpe828 said:

Definitely bandwidth too... I have 100 MBPS and you can see everything loading in... because the streaming data is not coming in fast enough. Look at task manager. It shows 2 MBPs... which is word not allowed poor. I am sure the streaming quality has a lot to do with seeing stuff as blurry, melted.

Yes, exactly this. Having a 20 MBPS or even a 100 MBPS is far less important and even becomes irrelevant when the speed at which the servers can stream to your PC is bottlenecking at 2 MBPS or less. I'm currently on 100 MBPS fibre and I also see melting zombie cities from time to time. I'm sure the servers can handle better speeds of course but at times they seem to struggle.   

• Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

12 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Amongst our extensive weaponry are such diverse elements as ... an almost fanatical obsession with finding fault with everything ...

Including Avsim forum members. Throwing boomerangs is a dangerous game 🤣

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

17 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Yet on the other side I tend to start nit-picking little things (or maybe they are not little things).

We all do. It's stuff we never nitpicked in earlier sims because everything else looked so bad. 😉

I mean, I find the melted buildings, underwater ships, etc to be annoying as well, but the previous version had hundreds of square miles of featureless auto-gen office boxes that also looked terrible. On balance, I'm OK with the tradeoff, especially since if you look at how far Google/Bing have come in satellite and ground imagery of the world in the last decade, and then extrapolate out another decade assuming similar advancement, it's gonna look pretty stellar down the road.

12 hours ago, DylanM said:

Ah that's not the photogrammetry "melted candles" that the OP is describing (and what I tried locating in the surroundings). It's missing autogen. You can open a ticket and see if it can be fixed in a future update. 

Did that on September 3rd.  Only got an automated response.  Documented three other airports on September 25th.  Didn't even get an automated response to that one.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

6 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Release 1.11.6.0  that came out today claims to have helped with photogrammetry ... we will see i suppose.

Well. Some good, some bad.  Got a kick out of this.  This is my secondary home airport, KBMG, Bloomington, Indiana.  Today's update fixed a building height issue with what should be T-hangars (red circle).  Since first release of MSFS those buildings were as tall as the control tower.  Fixed! Hallelujah!  At the other end of the spectrum (no pun intended), the massive-in-real-life hangar at the far end of the tarmac (blue circle), which was at least representative in MSFS, got flattened by the same fix....  In real life that is by far the largest hangar on the airport.

Oh Well!

My home airport KESN in Easton, Maryland, is still flat blobs of color....

image.png.08894fe43de04a7765076b51bfbd6a4f.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS