Sign in to follow this  
SUNDR1V3R

RTX3090, how would MSFS 2020 RUN?

5 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

What's the point of a benchmark when playing @30Hz which pretty much every potato PC can handle?

FPS benchmarks for those who have figured out v-sync to 30Hz currently offers the best total experience (IOHO) can be used as a surrogate for what will happen under various conditions, even when v-synced to 30Hz.  The 'every potato PC' is misleading because it says very little about the GPU's role.  At 3440x1440 I can easily become GPU-limited w/ the RTX 2070 Super.  I feel for those who haven't experienced the relaxed, efficient state that happens when you take advantage of this possibility.  MSFS' main thread will indeed poke along at the lowest possible utilization to maintain that frame rate of 30, which IMO leaves headroom for the better planeware to come.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

FPS benchmarks for those who have figured out v-sync to 30Hz currently offers the best total experience (IOHO) can be used as a surrogate for what will happen under various conditions, even when v-synced to 30Hz.  The 'every potato PC' is misleading because it says very little about the GPU's role.  At 3440x1440 I can easily become GPU-limited w/ the RTX 2070 Super.  I feel for those who haven't experienced the relaxed, efficient state that happens when you take advantage of this possibility.  MSFS' main thread will indeed poke along at the lowest possible utilization to maintain that frame rate of 30, which IMO leaves headroom for the better planeware to come.

Might work for some...but some have the reasonable expectation to run MSFS at 60Hz. 30Hz is completely unacceptable for me. So i trade a little visual quality (1440p instead of 4k) and run MSFS @60FPS.

Regarding the benchmarking i'd say that MSFS is so differently running from System to System (even with similar specs) that benchmarking is pretty much obsolete.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

24 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

30Hz is completely unacceptable for me.

I'm sorry :sad:

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

I'm sorry :sad:

No need to! 60 FPS is great!

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

9 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

What's the point of a benchmark when playing @30Hz which pretty much every potato PC can handle?

Even though we are apparently in the first world, millions of potato PC users don't have a monitor that will run at 30mhz. Most of us can afford the RTSS though, as it is freeware and very good at limiting frame rates, even to 30 fps.

11 hours ago, captain420 said:

Yes I run the sim at 4K with Ultra Presets, both LOD sliders to 200. I haven't messed with overclocking yet because I want to see how well I can get the sim to run with vanilla settings first.

I don't use process lasso. 

Flying around Manhattan, NYC at dawn/dusk/night with FBW A320NX I get around 30 to 40+ fps with the occasional dips into the 20s. Performance is smooth. I now fly without enabling the FPS counter in devmode which distracts me from flying. I can fully the enjoy the sim with all the bells and whistles even when the fps occasionally dips down into the 20s when in a heavy and intensive area such as NYC.

Thanks.  It looks like the new AMD 5950x with 3090 is the only combo that can net 60FPS in 4K on Ultra around photogrammetry... but even then, this is in a GA aircraft.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxcTRDFivLA

12 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

every potato pc can run 4k 30 fps eh?  youre very uninformed sir.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Curious with all the new AMD and NVIDIA hardware is there a clear winner for top performer?

It seems like the 3090 is the top GPU, however combined with what processor? 5950x, 5900x, 10900?

... 60hz was always the magic number as it was the frequency of most monitors back in the day

These days monitors are often 75 hz or 120 hz or 144 hz or even faster, but somehow people have got obsessed with 60 hz being some magical optimal number regardless of what screen they have.

40 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

... 60hz was always the magic number as it was the frequency of most monitors back in the day

These days monitors are often 75 hz or 120 hz or 144 hz or even faster, but somehow people have got obsessed with 60 hz being some magical optimal number regardless of what screen they have.

60Hz has been a magic frequency since the invention of the light bulb. It’s the frequency at which most people (who don’t have some uncanny vision issue) no longer perceive flicker in changing light levels or images. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

No need to! 60 FPS is great!

Sure, all else being equal I would opt for 60 as well, but it's not equal!  Plus, truthfully in a double-blinded test I would bet you $100 you would not know which was which in the identical flight.  I'm sure if you really tried by looking for something telltale you might notice the difference but when you're at a solid smooth 30 with ample headroom you have to appreciate the fact your CPU and GPU are being asked to do a lot less work to deliver smooth animation.  As you know these are relatively slow moving relationships and 30 is certainly compatible w/ an excellent experience.  My sliders are at Ultra/200/200/100 except a couple of shadow sliders and occasional bad weather will kill the RTX 2070 Super, but my CPU is really coasting w/ a hyperthreaded peak temp of may 50C, but averages around 46C w/ all cores at 4.9gHz.  There is serious headroom for the oft CPU-intensive payware aircraft while maintaining high fidelity settings.  When the hardware and software can deliver a rock solid 60 frames per second on ultra/200/200/120 we will change to vsync to 60Hz.

• Like 2

Noel

1 hour ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Curious with all the new AMD and NVIDIA hardware is there a clear winner for top performer?

It seems like the 3090 is the top GPU, however combined with what processor? 5950x, 5900x, 10900?

From what I’ve seen, the 3090 is king in nearly every aspect except value. For CPU, the 5950x or the 5900x (and even the 5600x) duke it out depending on workload or game. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Running well on my 3770K with RTX 2070 OC. Averaging 30+ fps (High settings)

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3527/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Sure, all else being equal I would opt for 60 as well, but it's not equal!  Plus, truthfully in a double-blinded test I would bet you $100 you would not know which was which in the identical flight.  I'm sure if you really tried by looking for something telltale you might notice the difference but when you're at a solid smooth 30 with ample headroom you have to appreciate the fact your CPU and GPU are being asked to do a lot less work to deliver smooth animation.  As you know these are relatively slow moving relationships and 30 is certainly compatible w/ an excellent experience.  My sliders are at Ultra/200/200/100 except a couple of shadow sliders and occasional bad weather will kill the RTX 2070 Super, but my CPU is really coasting w/ a hyperthreaded peak temp of may 50C, but averages around 46C w/ all cores at 4.9gHz.  There is serious headroom for the oft CPU-intensive payware aircraft while maintaining high fidelity settings.  When the hardware and software can deliver a rock solid 60 frames per second on ultra/200/200/120 we will change to vsync to 60Hz.

Well thats a bet you would lose for sure. I have tried all that 30Hz stuff and it is obviously not the same as 60Hz or more. While it might be somewhat smooth playing at 30Hz you'll notice the big difference once you step up to 60Hz. I am playing at ultra settings too and playing at 1440p with a little reduced shadow slider i am achieving 60FPS in all scenarios. My 9900k runs at 5.1Ghz peaking around 65C and the RTX3080 works at about 55-65 percent. So my system is quite relaxed and as you mentioned there is plenty of headroom for addons (which i am not really interested in).

Just for fun, watch a MSFS video on youtube that is recorded @30fps and then double the playspeed. You'll instantly see the difference in smoothness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

every potato pc can run 4k 30 fps eh?  youre very uninformed sir.

pretty much... of course i am not informed about Hardware that i don't use...but achieving 30Hz isn't a big thing right?