Sign in to follow this  
SUNDR1V3R

RTX3090, how would MSFS 2020 RUN?

I have a 9900K & RTX 2080ti system.

Tried to upgrade the GPU to RTX 3090, and it made absolutely no noticeable difference in FS 2020 frame rate (ref. developer mode), so I send the card back.

My conclusion is that the 9900K is a good match for the RTX 2080ti. I still believe RTX 3090 has a great potential, but you need to upgrade to something faster than a 9900K before it makes sense.

Same upgrade here, from a 2080 Ti to a 3090, with my good old 9900K.
But different experience.
I will never send back the new GPU and don't believe there is any need to upgrade the CPU until next Intel generation.

GPU:  Even if the FPS didn't jump drastically (average + 20%) the sim is much smoother, anywhere and under all weather conditions.
CPU: The difference in MSFS between a 9900K and a 10900K (today's best Intel CPU) is very marginal and upgrading today will be a pure loss of money.
And I don't believe in AMD's hype around their new chips. All benchmarks I've seen so far indicate that their flagship 5950X doesn't do better than the 10900K, especially in 4K demanding games.

• Like 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

The Zotac Trinity seems to be regularly available in the UK, but prices vary vastly and it's one if not the weakest of the 3090's.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

35 minutes ago, David Roch said:

upgrading today will be a pure loss of money

the Law of diminishing returns rules,

37 minutes ago, David Roch said:

the FPS didn't jump drastically (average + 20%)

that's about right it seems & with all that 3090 VRAM,

personally, waiting for Sim Update #3 - end of February 2021.

47 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

The Zotac Trinity seems to be regularly available in the UK, but prices vary vastly and it's one if not the weakest of the 3090's.

How is it weak? It’s the same 3090 as any other non overclocked 3090 with two power pins. It’s sale price should be around £1300 ish and not much higher. 

I think early on the Trinity 3080 and 3090 got a bad rap due to the power design / capacitors etc. compared to the others from Asus etc, but people seem to be buying them and there's not too much noise about it lately

Edited by dogmanbird

1 hour ago, David Roch said:

(...) And I don't believe in AMD's hype around their new chips. All benchmarks I've seen so far indicate that their flagship 5950X doesn't do better than the 10900K, especially in 4K demanding games.

5950 is a waste, nothing in the gaming department makes use of such a CPU. The 5800x is where it's at. Okay, 5900x if you do have to waste money in more cores just because of its "value", something i never understood... Why pay more for something you don't need, even if it's good value. It doesn't clock as high as the 5800x, wastes more energy, i just don't see the point.

And there's no hype at all, the CPU is indeed much faster than anything Intel right now. Its IPC and technology are miles ahead.

• Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

11 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

And there's no hype at all, the CPU is indeed much faster than anything Intel right now. Its IPC and technology are miles ahead.

Faster, yes.
But not impressive for MSFS.

dF0I1Q.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

How is it weak? It’s the same 3090 as any other non overclocked 3090 with two power pins. It’s sale price should be around £1300 ish and not much higher. 

From what I've seen there's absolutely no OC head Room, although admittedly there isn't much with the 3090 anyway.

Cheapest I've seen is £1470 at Scan.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

9 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

From what I've seen there's absolutely no OC head Room, although admittedly there isn't much with the 3090 anyway.

Cheapest I've seen is £1470 at Scan.

Like you say, there isn't any OC head room with 3090 anyway. Mostly. And for most users who don't overclock, the zotac 3090 is basically just like a standard 3090. I paid £1300 for a Zotac 3090 on release day. At scan. I also paid £1500 for a palit. And I also have a Asus on order. 

1 hour ago, flightsimJim said:

I too have a 2080 ti and it runs it well enough on maximum settings. 

The difference between 3090 and 2080ti, in reality, is actually quite a lot. I went from a 2080ti, and, putting FPS aside, it’s way smoother. 

7 hours ago, David Roch said:

CPU: The difference in MSFS between a 9900K and a 10900K (today's best Intel CPU) is very marginal and upgrading today will be a pure loss of money.

Single thread performance is about 3% faster in the latter chip, so if you're in that bad-a area that has the sim CPU-limited to say 30 FPS you can now proudly report your new 10900K gave you...almost 31 frames per second.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Completely unscientific and entirely anecdotal but in an exact same scenario, two aircraft in the same place in multiplayer, a 10900K at 5.1ghz and a 3090 gave 40 fps at 4k and all ultra settings and render scaling at 100 versus 23 fps with my i5 10600K and 1070ti at 2k and all high settings, render scaling also at 100.

A very considerable difference.