Sign in to follow this  
Roman Design

Calling all Canadians: decision for my next Canadian airport

54 minutes ago, Roman Design said:

Actually, do you have a link about where they have confirmed that? Just out of curiosity, all I found is really old and not about MSFS...

They confirmed it too me over PM on Facebook. You could shoot them a msg if you dont believe me, they're pretty quick in that regard.

If you need some shots of Windsor (CYQG) just let me know I fly out of there all the time. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

4 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

They confirmed it too me over PM on Facebook. You could shoot them a msg if you dont believe me, they're pretty quick in that regard.

If you need some shots of Windsor (CYQG) just let me know I fly out of there all the time. 

Sure, I believe you. That's good enough. I see on their Facebook they are converting some of their airports to MSFS, so it's only logical. I think I will hide this post if I can, think it all over and do a poll on most popular airports. If you or anyone else knows about any other Canadian airports that are being worked on by other companies - please let me know, so I can avoid working on something that's already being done.

• Like 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

14 minutes ago, Roman Design said:

Sure, I believe you. That's good enough. I see on their Facebook they are converting some of their airports to MSFS, so it's only logical. I think I will hide this post if I can, think it all over and do a poll on most popular airports. If you or anyone else knows about any other Canadian airports that are being worked on by other companies - please let me know, so I can avoid working on something that's already being done.

No problem. I'm pretty sure I know whos working on what in Canada (payware companies). 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

51 minutes ago, philipp00sk8 said:

Your work look very good. i think you should do CYYZ. Flytampa looks great but the problem of Flytampa is performance. If your CYYZ airport looks like your two other airport i think and the performance is better than Flytampa

Greater Toronto Area is notorious for having bad perfomance in FSX and P3D.
I have faith that FlyTampa will deliver an airport scenery that works well for most PCs in MSFS. Not having to deal with an inherent performance black hole in MSFS is a game changer.

1 hour ago, Roman Design said:

That makes sense. I asked MS and they were not aware of anyone working on YYZ, so I assumed there is a good chance nobody is. Good to know. I think I will do a poll and see what the interest would be for particular airports.

CYVR, CYLW, CYEG, CYYC are all underway or planned by FSimStudios.
CYYZ and CYUL will be covered by FlyTampa.
I would guess that at some point Orbx will start pumping out 'ports' of their Canadian GA airfields such as CEF4, CNK4, CYBD, CYSE and CZST.

To my knowledge, no-one of high calibre is working on CYWG, CYHZ, CYYJ, CYQB, CYXE or CYYT.
As a non-Canadian, any of these would be interesting to me, particularly CYYJ or CYYT.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

7 minutes ago, F737NG said:

As a non-Canadian, any of these would be interesting to me, particularly CYYJ or CYYT.

Another vote for CYYJ (not being selfish at all 😉)!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Greater Toronto Area is notorious for having bad perfomance in FSX and P3D.
I have faith that FlyTampa will deliver an airport scenery that works well for most PCs in MSFS. Not having to deal with an inherent performance black hole in MSFS is a game changer.

I would guess that at some point Orbx will start pumping out 'ports' of their Canadian GA airfields such as CEF4, CNK4, CYBD, CYSE and CZST.

To my knowledge, no-one of high calibre is working on CYWG, CYHZ, CYYJ, CYQB, CYXE or CYYT.

humm CYUL...where did you see flytampa will do CYUL?

49 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Many thanks for this information! CYYJ looks juicy, I like it. And the area is beautiful and set up nicely for various short and medium flights. The only problem that there is no 3D google map to use as a reference. So I need to find some reference materials! There are some streetview available, but not from the gates side. 

All airports in this list are good possibilities though.

• Like 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]

55 minutes ago, Roman Design said:

So I need to find some reference materials! There are some streetview available, but not from the gates side. 

I can do some local scouting and shots if you'd like - just pm me any specifics!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

What about CYOW, CYQT, CYHM, CYXU?

CYXU and CYHZ are in production by FSim currently and I think CYWG might be on their long term list for next year.

CYYJ is a great choice, would also love to see somewhere in the Prairies get some love so CYXE or CYQR would be fantastic.

I'd absolutely love to see a high quality CYHM and I think CYOW, CYYT and CYQT are great choices as well. I'd also like to one day see a version of CYMM, Fort McMurray as again its currently devoid of any custom scenery on any platform.

Maybe its worth an email to Gabriel at FSim to check with him on his roadmap? He's extremely kind and friendly and I'm sure he'd be willing to talk to you so that you can both avoid duplicating work to some extent.
Great to see Canadian airports finally getting some love, I'll be buying for sure!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atco said:

Maybe its worth an email to Gabriel at FSim to check with him on his roadmap? He's extremely kind and friendly and I'm sure he'd be willing to talk to you so that you can both avoid duplicating work to some extent.
Great to see Canadian airports finally getting some love, I'll be buying for sure!

Can you PM me his contact info? It wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

I would also have a look at what Simaddons are doing. Ralph is converting all his Canadian airports to MSFS and is halfway now. Some people have mixed opinions about Simaddons, but if you ask me, I find them quite underrated. Some of the older P3D airports had (optional) extended ground imagery which was sub-par but this isn't an issue with the MSFS conversions which I like pretty well.

Ralph is very responsive, so you may shoot him a message to coordinate work.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

8 hours ago, Roman Design said:

Many thanks for this information! CYYJ looks juicy, I like it. And the area is beautiful and set up nicely for various short and medium flights. The only problem that there is no 3D google map to use as a reference. So I need to find some reference materials! There are some streetview available, but not from the gates side. 

All airports in this list are good possibilities though.

CYYJ (Victoria International) would be really cool. If the price is good in the MSFS marketplace, that's something I would consider buying, since it pairs up very well with FSDT's CYVR, or FSimStudio's CYVR, for a short 30 minute flight.

You can contact FSimStudio on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Aerospace-Company/FSimStudios-1995764354083070/.  There is an option to message them on their Facebook page.

And DylanM in this thread offered to help you as well!  

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

5 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

CYYJ (Victoria International) would be really cool. If the price is good in the MSFS marketplace, that's something I would consider buying, since it pairs up very well with FSDT's CYVR, or FSimStudio's CYVR, for a short 30 minute flight.

Here one more for Victoria.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

CYYJ is being done by Fsimstudios as well but its a long way off. They're also doing Halifax. Simaddons has already done YYT and St John NB and YWG. 

Ron Hamilton